Change T/A's ?

pratzert

I'd like your experince with changing T/A's.

We have a "hold" on two cabins until Monday and have found another agent who is cheaper by a lot. The cheaper agent is an OnLine agent and the current agent is a Bricks & Morter company.

But as I said... it's a pretty big difference.

How does it work if we switch the booking over the the new agent ?

Or do we have to cancel the old hold and have the new agent re-book?

I haven't decided if I will switch or not, and it may also depend on how much of a hassle it may be too.

Thanks.

I think you have to cancel then re-book, if you have not put a deposit

Make sure you are comparing the bottom line as some On-line agencies seem to have a higher price when you finally book.

I would be suspicious of a really big difference in prices.

Just my suspicious nature on good deals ;)

I would do some research into the online agent you are considering. Price is not always the only consideration. Should something go wrong before or during your cruise you want to be sure there will be someone there to fight for you.

All good points and many of those things have made kept me from switching so far.

The price difference is "currently" $350 per cabin. But the Online TA says there will be "perks" such as ppd grats and OBC's but does not know how much. If it ends up being the same amount of "Perks" as I am getting from my current TA ($450), than the total difference between the two will be $800 per cabin. That is a good chunk of change to me.

The TA says they don't won't know about additional perks until the end of the month. That sounds a little strange to me..... my current agent has been able to tell me up front about any perks.

The Online agent uses a larger "Host" or Affiliate agency... I guess something like a consolidator or something like that. The one they claim to use is pretty large and advertises a lot.

I know... that does not make them good.

The online agent says the rate is a "Group Rate", so maybe they have to know how many cabins are booked in total under the "Group" before they hand out the extra perks.... I don't know.

I, like most of you, am very, very suspicious and untrusting.... for better or worse..was too trusting. So for $350 I probably would not change, but for $800... I might.

Another poster here did book thru this agent and her deposit went to the cruise line right away and she got some paperwork quickly too. That makes me feel a little better.

We have a "hold" on two cabins until Monday and have found another agent who is cheaper by a lot. <>

But as I said... it's a pretty big difference.

I was under the impression that total cruise price (base fare + cruise taxes/government fees) is the same whether booked directly, thru an on-line discount agency or with a brick & mortar TA. I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that Oceania did not permit any "discounting" of actual cruise fares.

So I believed that the only way to snag a deal was if your TA offered additional amenities such as pre-paid grats or on-board credits. Are you saying that it's possible to get it all - discounted cruise fare, PPG and OBC? And to think we were happy with 2 out of 3! :eek::eek:

I was under the impression that total cruise price (base fare + cruise taxes/government fees) is the same whether booked directly, thru an on-line discount agency or with a brick & mortar TA. I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that Oceania did not permit any "discounting" of actual cruise fares.

I had the same understanding

that is was like RCCL that also do not allow discounting.

:eek::eek:

I suspect that part of that may be that they choose to give up some of their commission. I have had my biggest headache using a brick and mortar agent; I think it comes down to who really wants to work at making and keeping their customers happy.

Are you saying that it's possible to get it all - discounted cruise fare, PPG and OBC? And to think we were happy with 2 out of 3! :eek::eek:

In my experience...yes, yes and yes. On an A2 I received a significant discount along with additional OBC over and above the Oceania offered incentives for the itin (24 days). To add to it, while I was on Regatta in March, I received an additional 5% discount on the cruise price through Oceania along with the $200 certificate which I was able to apply to the already booked cruise.

Kathleen

Since you appear to be "price sensitive", and shopping for discounts, likely you are not looking for a "full service" agent. And from what you have posted, it seems that you have not paid your deposit as yet. That being the case, consider doing the research on the voyage yourself, and use an agent only for ticketing, and get one who gives you the maximum discount and goodies.

If you have not yet paid a deposit, just cancel your reservation. Call Oceania yourself and rebook by yourself, and pay the deposit. Tell Oceania that you will look for a "ticketing agent" when the final payment is due just to get savings, the amount you save may be enough to pay your automatic tips and some more.

Oceania may tell you that to satisfy the agency community (and they will not charge you for less if you finally ticket directly with them in order not to compete with the agencies). However, when you do your own booking (at Oceania's claimed price) and subsequently at the time of final payment, go to a discount agency, that discount agency can give you any discount they are willing to out of their own commission, which is often 10%, but sometimes more if that agency sells a lot of Oceania tickets. Usually, you should get a "total benefit" (cash rebate plus goodies) of at least 5+%, how much is up to you to negotiate with that agency.

I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that a business which does not allow its retailers to sell for less than the price it wants is guilty of price fixing. Perhaps experienced lawyer Bruin Steve can clarify this!

All good points and many of those things have made kept me from switching so far.

The price difference is "currently" $350 per cabin. But the Online TA says there will be "perks" such as ppd grats and OBC's but does not know how much. If it ends up being the same amount of "Perks" as I am getting from my current TA ($450), than the total difference between the two will be $800 per cabin. That is a good chunk of change to me.

The TA says they don't won't know about additional perks until the end of the month. That sounds a little strange to me..... my current agent has been able to tell me up front about any perks.

The Online agent uses a larger "Host" or Affiliate agency... I guess something like a consolidator or something like that. The one they claim to use is pretty large and advertises a lot.

I know... that does not make them good.

The online agent says the rate is a "Group Rate", so maybe they have to know how many cabins are booked in total under the "Group" before they hand out the extra perks.... I don't know.

I, like most of you, am very, very suspicious and untrusting.... for better or worse..was too trusting. So for $350 I probably would not change, but for $800... I might.

Another poster here did book thru this agent and her deposit went to the cruise line right away and she got some paperwork quickly too. That makes me feel a little better.

I would be inately suspicious and not trust any agent or agency that cannot tell you upfront what perks or benefits you will be getting.

I would also be careful as many online discount agencies survive only through 'cash float'. They will charge your card instead of letting the cruise line charge it and they get the proceeds, many time 'floating' the cash as long as they can for their own working capital requirements. If the agency goes bust and has not given the cruise line the funds, you are out of luck.

I would also consider how much leg work the current agent did for you prior to the booking. If they've been very helpful, I would think it a shame to have had him or her do all that work for nothing. A good agent is worth their weight in gold.

Just my twelve cents.

I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that a business which does not allow its retailers to sell for less than the price it wants is guilty of price fixing.

When the agency agrees to sell certain cruise lines they usually sign an agreement or are approved by the cruise line to sell their product within the cruise lines terms.

If your contract with the cruise line states you will not discount the prices advertised by the cruise line then the agency is the one in breach of their contract.

So the question remains

Does Oceania allow agents to discount their cruises?

Lyn

I would be inately suspicious and not trust any agent or agency that cannot tell you upfront what perks or benefits you will be getting.

I would also be careful as many online discount agencies survive only through 'cash float'. They will charge your card instead of letting the cruise line charge it and they get the proceeds, many time 'floating' the cash as long as they can for their own working capital requirements. If the agency goes bust and has not given the cruise line the funds, you are out of luck. .

I'm sure there are agents out there that do this, particularely if one was to write a check rather than use a card. Not the case with the agent the poster is referring to here.

I'm sure there are agents out there that do this, particularely if one was to write a check rather than use a card. Not the case with the agent the poster is referring to here.

Some people thought the same thing about Cruise Value Center and Cruises of Distinction, they were two of the largest discount agencies in the country. And they were taking credit cards, not checks.

Caveat Emptor!

Not to go too far off the rails

there was a thread on HAL forum about a lady who paid her TA with a CC .

She paid in full months in advance to get a 5% discount.

Turns out the agency took the payment under the agencie's account but did not pass it on to the cruise line when her final payment was due.

The lady went through a lot of heartache to get her cruise

bottom line

Buyer beware

Lyn

When the agency agrees to sell certain cruise lines they usually sign an agreement or are approved by the cruise line to sell their product within the cruise lines terms.
But doesn't that in itself contradict price fixing laws?

:( :( Please do your homework before making ANY deposits/final payments.

I booked with a VERY popular online agency this last year (2008) and

was hooked by their very GENEROUS offer of OBC's if I paid in full at

the time of initial booking. I used my credit cards, thinking that I had

more protection than sending a check. BIG MISTAKE !!! -- all kinds of

stress and aggravation for the 6 months prior to cruise departure.

On top of that I am still fighting for the fuel surcharges and unauthorized

charge to my cc made without my permission or knowledge. (By the way,

filing a dispute with cc was futile even though I was very unhappy with

the "quality of services" NOT rendered.)

This agency also had me booked in their "group space" and was very vague about answering my questions. I suspect you are dealing with

the same bunch of crooks that I did. :mad::mad:

Please check out www.tripadvisor.com before making any firm commitments.

To add to it, while I was on Regatta in March, I received an additional 5% discount on the cruise price through Oceania along with the $200 certificate which I was able to apply to the already booked cruise.
You got me thinking about the additional incentives offered on-board for near-term sailings. Perhaps we'll wait to book another Oceania cruise until we're on-board Regatta later this year & see what discounts are offered. Plus we'd get the $200 certificate. After we're home, we could transfer the booking to our regular TA for amenities. So far, she's always offered PPG & OBC. I've been blissfully unaware that Oceania offered any up-front discounts thru TAs. :o:o

But doesn't that in itself contradict price fixing laws?
No lawyer here - but isn't price fixing where there's collusion among several competitors to set prices for products & thereby "control" the market? That's different than Oceania establishing their price for their cruises & then insisting that it be upheld by anyone who acts as their agent. I don't see how this could be regarded as price fixing.

It is absolutely not true that agents can only charge a fixed price for Oceania. Agents have ways of getting around this by cash rebates or other amenities, whether they be shipboard credits, prepaid gratuities, etc.

I can only conclude that because many passengers think that they get the best deal by purchasing directly with airlines--which is probably true in 99% of the cases--that this applies to cruise lines. Our cruise agent always gives a cash rebate on the luxury or premium cruises her agency sells. The fare is always better than the cruise line's fare, and if the fare is subsequently reduced, we have always had our fare adjusted. Plus the service beats the cruise lines' services hands down.

It is absolutely not true that agents can only charge a fixed price for Oceania. Agents have ways of getting around this by cash rebates or other amenities, whether they be shipboard credits, prepaid gratuities, etc.

It does happen it does not mean it is allowed??

With another cruise line it is not allowed & if found out will be banned from selling their cruises.

Lyn

I agree with another poster that I would be very suspicious of a TA who could not tell you exactly what OBC's and pre-paid tips and other perks would come with your booking.

You have to find a TA you can trust, not sure of the best way to do that, but make sure they know the Oceania product well.

Archived