worried sick about driving!

stephic411

As my ol' grandpappy used to say "It ain't no step for a stepper!" Of all of my cruises, we have always drove to the departure port with only one exception. We did fly to Seattle for our only Alaska cruise. Our next Alaska cruise however, sails from San Francisco, and we plan to drive 2300 miles to get there. Your 14 hour drive by comparison is a piece of cake.

Out of 23 cruises, we have flown twice...........it helps to live 2 hours away from Mobile and New Orleans. Now we did drive to Houston (5.5 hrs) and Galveston (7 hrs). We flew to New York and Miami for the two that we did fly. New York because it was a one way flight to a Repo. Miami I got such a nice deal on air fare. I got off the ship at 8am and was pulling into my driveway at 2:30pm. That beat having to drive for 15 or so hours.

You will have plenty of time to get to Galveston. I probably would push the first days drive to get you closer so that you have a better nights (more hours) sleep on the second night.

Dave

Like everyone else says, give your car an oil change and once over and hit the road. We drove 5 people in a little Saturn SL with 180,000 miles on it last January. From Iowa in the dead of winter to Miami palm trees. We left on a Thursday night after work and it was 45 below windchill. The frost on the inside of the windows didn't thaw until we got to Tennessee. We drove it straight through, switching off with two drivers. 24 hours of drive time, and we stopped for gas and a couple of meals. We arrived in Miami about 10 p.m. on Friday night, and rested up to board the ship in the next day.

You're young- save you're worrying for something big. Drive 10 hours first day, stop at a Comfort Inn, drive the rest on Friday, get into a hotel early, drive down to the port so you know exactly where it is, go to the beach, book another hotel room and relax.

You said you had AAA - have them get you trip tickets - maps and books for all the areas you are passing thur - They will give you full size maps in case you need them - so much better than a garmin (which I have) or map quest in case of back ups on the highway

Car should be fine - 30000 miles for me is not even a year old - took my car this summer on a road trip with 150000 on it - just change the oil - check the fuilds and tire

Have a great trip

As another said, you car is still under warranty, ck but I believe GM still offers trip interruption coverage as well as repairs, and road side assistance. (trip planning too if you just call the 800#).

Best advice: get your car ckd ahead of time:

Best way: take a dozen donuts to the DEALERSHIP, and tell them you need it ckd for a trip. May be the best donuts you ever bought.

No one wants their customer's trip ruined.

This from someone who as worked in dealership service depts for many years.

Lastly, Conquest is way toooo much fun. Just enjoy you boyfriend, the road trip, and the cruise.

Hey Dad

FWIW: We have driven to all the ports we have sailed from. NO is the closest (14 hrs) and Miami has been the farthest (26 hr). we take turns driving. we usually go with others in our conversion van, so it is comfy and if my SIL is along, we switch every three hours or so. We have found it cheaper than flying and we don't have to do the "airport shuffle".

Seems as if all the logical, thoughful tips have been offered. Only other concern not addressed is - have you ever been locked up in a car with another person for that long? Good way to test a relationship, so good you do that now prior to marriage. If you two are still speaking after the trip and still on great terms it means you're ready for the next step. No, not marriage, putting up wall paper together! if you can survive that one then move on to marriage and eventually driving 12-14 hours with kids. Its all a progression, once you survive the one with kids you're ready for anything even a week in a Turkish prison.

Ha that cracked me up.. good point! hopefully we don't kill one another! I think we will be fine..we have been on a long trip before but it was with 2 other people..so I am hoping we come out good with this one also :o.

Music may be a problem though.. my music drives him insane! :D

Get the oil changed, tires and brakes inspected, etc. a few days before you go. With a car so new, it's unlikely anything major will happen if you eliminate the obvious things like oil, tires, and brakes.

Plan to make stops along the way. Get out a map or go to the library or bookstore and look for interesting places to stop along the way. Rest areas on the interstate are convenient. You can also find parks sometimes nearby.

Leave early and don't worry if you get in late. The important thing is to enjoy yourself and be safe.

So my boyfriend and I are driving 14 hours to go on our Carnivial cruise out of Galveston TX. My original plan was to rent a car but to rent it one way twice would be REALLY expensive and almost more then the plane tickets! We don't want to fly because we decided on Galveston all because we can drive it and my boyfriends family is from TX.

I have a 07 chevy aveo with 30,000 miles on it so it is still somewhat new in my opinion. I also have AAA in case something happend. We are leaving on a Thur and the cruise is on that Sat. Maybe I am being all worried for nothing. Has anyone drove a long way to get to their cruise before and if so do you have any tips for me?

I am right there with you on debating the same thing although it is 18 hrs drive for us I am undecided on flying but I can say we have looked everyday and are watching the fares to fly and it is about the same as renting a car both ways with hotel I am more worried of the cost of missing the boat from driving though!!!!!!!

Get the oil changed, tires and brakes inspected, etc. a few days before you go. With a car so new, it's unlikely anything major will happen if you eliminate the obvious things like oil, tires, and brakes.

I agree with this except the few days before part. Get it done a couple of weeks before the trip. I am in the automotive business and have had some upset people when they found there car needed some repairs that would take a few days to complete delaying the start of their vacation. Getting parts for vehicles is becoming a major issue with the way the parts suppliers have been hit due to the economy, more so on newer vehicles. I would also recommend to drive a vehicle a week or so after any repairs, s**t happens sometimes.

I have the same worries, I have to drive to ft. Lauderdale, Port everglades all the way from New Jersey. I do have my 26 year old son to help me drive, but thats it. My eyes are getting bad and when i drive too long...especially at night, i start to see cows crossing the road. Maybe i should think about taking Amtrak.:eek:

Last January we drove from Canada to Fort Lauderdale to go on our cruise, it was a 25 hour drive but we just did it in 2 days that's all. Our car is a 2002 with 100,000 km's on it and it was fine. All i did was an oil change before we went and they checked the tires and fluids and then i did an oil change when we got back. I was more worried about getting stuck in a big snow storm or ice storm, but you don't have to worry about that at this time of year!!

Pack lots of snacks and things to do like puzzle books, music etc and the time will go fast.

[quote name='bklynangel']I have the same worries, I have to drive to ft. Lauderdale, Port everglades all the way from New Jersey. I do have my 26 year old son to help me drive, but thats it. My eyes are getting bad and when i drive too long...especially at night, i start to see cows crossing the road. Maybe i should think about taking Amtrak.:eek:[/quote]

I looked into Amtrak because I thought that would actually be kinda fun..and was shocked how much that is also! It would be about $220 per person round trip.. might as well fly at that point:(

as said here earlier .leave as early in am as you can so you can make miles in dark when your excited about trip.as day breaks and you start becoming bored you wont have to worry about zoning out in daylight as much as night.we left massachusetts and rhode island border at 3 am on frday and had dinner in north carolina at 7 pm or so same day.

[quote name='stephic411']So my boyfriend and I are driving 14 hours to go on our Carnivial cruise out of Galveston TX. My original plan was to rent a car but to rent it one way twice would be REALLY expensive and almost more then the plane tickets! We don't want to fly because we decided on Galveston all because we can drive it and my boyfriends family is from TX.
I have a 07 chevy aveo with 30,000 miles on it so it is still somewhat new in my opinion. I also have AAA in case something happend. We are leaving on a Thur and the cruise is on that Sat. Maybe I am being all worried for nothing. Has anyone drove a long way to get to their cruise before and if so do you have any tips for me?[/quote]

We drove 8 hours to LA for a cruise -- 3 times. We never had car trouble, and we went in January. We did hit snow at the Grapevine on I-5 and had to take a detour around, but, we spent the night and then boarded the next day. The worse part is driving home after the cruise. We now fly, it's worth it to me to pay the extra money and be done with it. Flying, you can fly in the same day the cruise leaves. There's some drawbacks to that as well. We're flying in the day before this time and relaxing before we board.

This is the most important piece of advice I could give. I've driven professionally and for leisure from Maine to Laredo, Texas and every place in between, and to Orlando and Atlanta for leisure. We use to try to drive it nonstop only stopping for gas, at which time we go to the restroom, grab something to eat and stretch our legs. We now take more breaks, and even fill up more often just to stretch our legs. It makes the trip more enjoyable, and allows us to switch off drivers more often.

befor retiring..i was a teamster driver..and drove 3 or 4 long distance hauls each week..after retirement though id just rather have someone else drive or fly..

gotta remember..the seats in my tractor was alot more comfortable than in my jeep..

any long drive is most likely be a matter of comfort..the first few hrs is going to be fun..then it becomes *are we there yet ?*

we had plan d on driving up to Seattle for our Alaskan cruise..pin pointed the jeep dealers along the route incase anything happend to the car..rest area s for potty breaks..and of course made sure the gps was program d to the hotel..

then at the last moment decided to fly:D ..the 16 hr drive turned into a 2 hr flight..

[quote name='stephic411']So my boyfriend and I are driving 14 hours to go on our Carnivial cruise out of Galveston TX. My original plan was to rent a car but to rent it one way twice would be REALLY expensive and almost more then the plane tickets! We don't want to fly because we decided on Galveston all because we can drive it and my boyfriends family is from TX.
I have a 07 chevy aveo with 30,000 miles on it so it is still somewhat new in my opinion. I also have AAA in case something happend. We are leaving on a Thur and the cruise is on that Sat. Maybe I am being all worried for nothing. Has anyone drove a long way to get to their cruise before and if so do you have any tips for me?[/quote]

Tip...If your stessing now, you will be a mess during the drive. Relax, and take your time to get there...;)

Archived