Are Princess beds that bad??

turtlegirl2

We are in the process of booking our 2nd Princess cruise for November on the Caribbean Princess. Our last Princess cruise was about 10 years ago on the Sea Princess. Since then, we've sailed twice with Carnival and twice with RCCL. We've never had a problem with the beds on Carnival or RCCL; in fact Carnival has a very nice bedding system with down comforter, duvets, etc. I cannot remember much about the Princess bed but I am a bit concerned with all the posts I see about requesting egg crates. Egg crates seems to be very old-fashioned and are they even sanitary?? :eek: Yikes! Anyone out there have an update on how the Princess beds are these days, esp. on the Caribbean Princess? TIA!!

We are in the process of booking our 2nd Princess cruise for November on the Caribbean Princess. Our last Princess cruise was about 10 years ago on the Sea Princess. Since then, we've sailed twice with Carnival and twice with RCCL. We've never had a problem with the beds on Carnival or RCCL; in fact Carnival has a very nice bedding system with down comforter, duvets, etc. I cannot remember much about the Princess bed but I am a bit concerned with all the posts I see about requesting egg crates. Egg crates seems to be very old-fashioned and are they even sanitary?? :eek: Yikes! Anyone out there have an update on how the Princess beds are these days, esp. on the Caribbean Princess? TIA!!

Beds are fine and we have never requested an egg crate. :eek:

Hey! and we even drink the regular coffee. :eek:

We have been on 2 Princess cruises, 1 within the past year. We have never had a problem with the beds. Very comfortable. Add being at sea and you will sleep like a baby. I think people like to ask for the egg-crates just because they can.

I know my mom really likes an egg-crate because she cannot sleep on a firm mattress but I am like you folks, I slept like a baby.:)

I've taken 4 cruises, all on Princess on ships of various ages. I have never had a problem with the beds. I can't imagine sleeping on an eggcrate mattress. I associate them with bedsore prevention. I can only guess that the people who had issues with beds must have really soft beds at home. I suggest you worry about more important things - like how much liquor to smuggle onboard.:)

We found the bed on the Diamond Princess in July very comfortable - VERY FIRM but comfortable. I guess it depends on whether you like a soft or hard bed.

I will second that. They were the most comfortable beds we have had as yet on Princess, although our beds on the Golden at Christmas were fine too.

Sorry guys, but I have to take the opposite stand on this one. I have never in my life tried to sleep on a bed that firm (read HARD). Last cruise we had a brand new mattress in our suite, we ended up with three egg crate toppers to make it tolerable.

Next cruise, we are hitting the first port in Hawaii and purchasing a memory foam topper if the beds on the Pacific are as firm as the one we had on the Grand. We are giving it a one night try before we decide though. ;)

The bed we had on the CB in March was absolutely as hard as a rock. It was horrible. We have a very firm sterns&foster mattress at home, I like firm mattresses. On the CB, I might has well have slept on the floor. The sheets had holes and there was an ugly well worn bedspread - so the bedding issue was pretty bad.

I requested an egg crate for the second night. However, it was not an foam egg crate the steward put on the bed. It was a stack of flannel sheets (about 3cm thick) it made the bed tolerable. Holey sheets stayed for the week though!

The issue of beds comes up now and again and there is always a mixed reaction. I think that yes, there may be personal preferences, but I do think there are mattresses in various states of wear on any given ship.

I do hope I get a better bed and sheets on my upcoming crown cruise!

I have to agree, they are incredibly hard! If you have any hip, knee, muscle or joint pain, you will want an eggcrate or three or four....:D I will say however, they're not THAT bad. After we get the eggcrates, their usually just fine, especially if you add the gentle rocking motion, you'll be out faster than you think. Wouldn't it be nice if Princess invested in Serta Perfect Sleepers, or Sweet Dreams Mattresses? Now that would really make things top notch! But I wouldn't worry too much about the mattresses, even if you do find them too hard, just let your steward know! They'll do all they can to make it more comfortable for you, that's why we like to tip a little extra when we get on, they always seem to go above and beyond for us.

Seems like the consensus is that the beds are fine, and I would agree. We've done 8 Princess cruises, and have never had a problem. Doesn't mean everyone sleeps great on the mattresses provided, but it's probably the same as going to any hotel: you don't know for sure what it will be like, but odds are you'll find it more than adequate. We always have - in fact, it's great, and my husband is a very light sleeper.

Maybe just the fact that we're on vacation helps us sleep great - nothing more restful than time away from the office!!!

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! It is a bit silly for me to worry about but I was starting to worry that maybe we'd be miserable if we did not have an egg crate (still :eek: thinking about one!) We've slept on rock-hard Mexican resort beds and survived so I'm sure we'll do fine on Princess LOL! Thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely sleep better tonight!! :D :D

Archived