Will Anyone Else Skip Formal Night Now That The Captains Cocktail Party Is Over?

Rowan555

Will definitely miss the free drinks at the capts party. In protest we will bring more wine on the ship and bring our own glass of wine to the party and see if we want to hang out.

At least we still have the past guest reception. Who needs free drinks the last night of the cruise?

Hope lots of people complain about this on their comment cards.

We always went to both parties AND dinner - and more than "some" people were doing it b/c the cruise directors TELL PEOPLE they can attend both!

You mean you went to the first Captains party went to dinner and went to the 2nd Captains party? Wow! LOL!

I've been to many Captains' crowded, boring "parties"......lugged suits, and tuxes many times, and rented one aboard. Now that I'm "old", don't drink, and travel solo, I'll put on my dockers, and silk "cruise" shirt, skip the party, be comfortable, and order two lobsters...one for me, and one for the single supplement!:D

Just off the Pride on Sunday. They still had both the Captain's Welcome Party and the past guest party AND both still had free drinks. When is the change supposed to occur?

I just got off the Conquest and we had both parties too. I also received the free Conquest pin...:D

I will still go to elegant night, because I never made it to the captain's party anyways. I am finding that elegant night is becoming more and more casual. I used to wear a dress every night for dinner (before paying for luggage on flights). On my last 2 cruises I never even packed a dress. I wore black or white pants with a dressy top and heels. I didn't feel out of place.

Part of the fun of cruising for me is dressing up .I love to shop for my elegant clothes for my cruises .usually pre Xmas

I enjoy fancy dinners and dressing up so I will do so .However suits are more of a problem /more bulky so my son will get nice shirt nice pants tie

After being shlumpy greasy all dayat the beach I like to spruce up .makeup and all

It is a personal choice ..I like leisure dinners and shows

I have went on cruises and skipped the formal nights and then I have dressed for the ball and celebrated like it was a night to remember..... I feel it is a lot of work to dress up for a few hours but on the other hand it is nice to feel so beautiful and elegant for the evening , and to see my partners so sexy ...... There is alot of perks up and down to both sides of the dress up or not I think just do what you want it is your vacation and wonderful memories if you dont want to get all giddy up then dont and just LIVE LOVE AND LAUGH

Just off the Ecstasy...they had both Captians and Past Guest party.

We go to each, we enjoy it , even tho its always the same.

I dont really care about the free drinks, IMO, they are swill and Im more of a top shelf gal, so I would pay for a cocktail if I needed to..but they were still giving the free ones there. I am not a fan of the "horse- do-vers" ;) So thats no big deal to me either.

We do like 'formal' night in the dining room. The waite staff looks so nice in their 'dressy uniforms' And Yes, I do order 2 tiny lobsters...I just tell the waiter/waitress that I am going to want a double. No problems.

We like the pics too.

I've been to many Captains' crowded, boring "parties"......lugged suits, and tuxes many times, and rented one aboard. Now that I'm "old", don't drink, and travel solo, I'll put on my dockers, and silk "cruise" shirt, skip the party, be comfortable, and order two lobsters...one for me, and one for the single supplement!:D

Now, *Thats* Funny!!!!

:D:p

DH and I discussed this on our cruise this weekend, and we've decided we're going to skip Elegant Night from now on. We always have such a great time at the Captain's Cocktail Parties, and it always ends up being a highlight of our cruise. The tiny lobster tail and 3 shrimp in the dining room, on the other hand, are just not worth packing dressy clothes for! We'll just head to Lido and eat there in our casual wear. Will anyone else skip elegant night since there's no need to get dressed up for the cocktail party?

I will do elegant nights - captains party is no biggie to me. The lobster I've had are not tiny and you can order as many lobster/shrimp as you like. Never been told no. Elegant night also doesn't require you dress ina tux so not really necessary to get all decked out - just look nice IMO. Love the food on elegant nights and everynight for that matter.

I didn't read about this development--no more Captain's party? Soon the dining room will be a buffet and you'll have to pay for shows. Yuck.:mad:

There still will be a Captains party, just no free drinks. I seldom go, too crowded but I am sure there will be plenty of seats available now.

If you don't like this, than maybe a cruise isn't for you. No one will force you to do it. But you could just as easily stay at a hotel and dress in shorts and flip flops for your entire vacation.

MARAPRINCE

Wow, I think you are quite rude in this statement. We have been on many, many cruises and with Carnivals new dress code, there is no reason for my DH to wear a tux or even a suit and for me to wear a gown or a cocktail dress.

We don't dress in shorts and flip flops, but I don't know when you became the cruise police. Sorry, but your post really T'd me off. I don't see where you have the right to tell someone that a cruise isn't for him/her because they don't want to dress like you do.

The last 4 or 5 cruises we have done that, because at the first party the CD says to come back for the second one :)

Did you have the same cruise director every time? Somehow, we have never heard a CD say come back for the other one. You must be lucky! Then again, we haven't gone to a lot of the Captain's parties on Carnival.

Our last few cruises, we haven't gone to the party but we still did get dressed up. It seemed to set the mood for the night. I do think that now we won't get as dressed up as there is no longer the same atmosphere and Carnivals dress code isn't what it used to be.

Enjoy!

There still will be a Captains party, just no free drinks. I seldom go, too crowded but I am sure there will be plenty of seats available now.

I always thought that the drinks were horrible along with those dumb appetizers they served. I always got white wine, but DH would drink the watered down stuff. Oh well, no great loss.

We will still go to formal night. I like to dress up. On our may cruise on formal night there were people in formal attire and some in slacks and jeans. Carnival doesn't require formal dress to be served in the dining room on formal night. The other people at our table of 8 were dressed in a sun dress, capris, slacks and jeans and they were served. The free drinks were pretty rot gut anyway so we'll just buy drinks before dinner. On other cruise lines that we've been on the dress code seems to be encouraged. Carnival seems real laid back about this.

I've never really associated the Captains' party and formal nights... Captains' party was just something to do, as long as you were dressing up anyways for formal night :) I love to get dressed up to go to dinner...why would anyone not go to formal night just because there was no Capt's party?

Archived