Will Anyone Else Skip Formal Night Now That The Captains Cocktail Party Is Over?

Rowan555

DH and I discussed this on our cruise this weekend, and we've decided we're going to skip Elegant Night from now on. We always have such a great time at the Captain's Cocktail Parties, and it always ends up being a highlight of our cruise. The tiny lobster tail and 3 shrimp in the dining room, on the other hand, are just not worth packing dressy clothes for! We'll just head to Lido and eat there in our casual wear. Will anyone else skip elegant night since there's no need to get dressed up for the cocktail party?

We just got off of the Ecstasy last Thursday and they still had the Captains party, with the free drinks. I am not a drinker so the Captains party is not a big deal to me so I will still continue to get dressed up for Formal night. I enjoy getting dressed up and taking pictures as a family.

I'll still go to the MDR on "Elegant" night but I am tired of packing dresses so I'll pack a pair of dressy slacks and blouses. I neve give up on a chance to have lobster. I have done dressing up to death in the past and I choose to be comfortable all evening long. On my next cruise chilling and relaxing will be the order of the day.

We like the MDR and use it 90% of the time. If they do away with the Captain's party it's no biggie to us. we went when we first started cruising, but skip it now as well as the past guest party most of the time. Got better things to do and the drinks and food served at these parties leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.

You mean you went to the first Captains party went to dinner and went to the 2nd Captains party? Wow! LOL!

This used to be my specialty. I was never one for formal wear on vacation, but I used to dress nicer. Guess I won't have to pack any shoes besides my sandals from now on...

I just cruised on the Paradise in August...When are they discontinuing Captain's night? We are cruising again in February!

They are not discontinuing the 'captain's party ' just no more free drinks ($1 off at all promenade bars instead) - this is a new fleetwide policy effective Sept 12th. (there is a new 'farewell party' - last night 5-6 pm with free drinks and of course the past guest party as well).

Wow, I think you are quite rude in this statement. We have been on many, many cruises and with Carnivals new dress code, there is no reason for my DH to wear a tux or even a suit and for me to wear a gown or a cocktail dress.

We don't dress in shorts and flip flops, but I don't know when you became the cruise police. Sorry, but your post really T'd me off. I don't see where you have the right to tell someone that a cruise isn't for him/her because they don't want to dress like you do.

Our last few cruises, we haven't gone to the party but we still did get dressed up. It seemed to set the mood for the night. I do think that now we won't get as dressed up as there is no longer the same atmosphere and Carnivals dress code isn't what it used to be.

Enjoy!

Sorry you took offense. But I have seen this very form of dress -- shorts & flip flops -- on Princess and other lines on formal nights simply because passengers felt if they were not eating in the MDR the evening's suggested dress code did not apply to them.

No one is required to be in a tux or a long gown. But, on a formal/elegant night it is nice to see the passengers who make an extra effort and enjoy a "Kodak" moment. A cruise is the one place that has a formal/elegant night. It is also very refreshing to see the youngsters who do choose to dress up as well.

MARAPRINCE

There was a Captain's Welcome Party on our Splendor cruise two weeks ago -- no hors d'oeuvres but free drinks —*and regardless of what Carnival posts about dress code on formal night, I can tell you from our experience that the dress code is widely ignored and apparently never enforced, at least on Splendor.

Sorry you took offense. But I have seen this very form of dress -- shorts & flip flops -- on Princess and other lines on formal nights simply because passengers felt if they were not eating in the MDR the evening's suggested dress code did not apply to them.

MARAPRINCE

Apparently you are ignorant of Carnival's policy. "Elegant" attire is required ONLY for the main dining rooms. It is NOT required for the entire ship. If you see people in flip flops and shorts walking the Lido Deck or Promenade Deck on Elegant Night, they are in no way breaking any rules or requests. The CD's always joke about how everyone will change into shorts and flip flops as soon as dinner is over, because that's what most people do. And if they don't go to the party or dinner, there's no reason to get dressed up at all.

We have skipped over half the formal (elegant) nights on our previous cruises so far anyway.

Going to skip it this weekend on our next cruise.

It just isn't worth it to us to have to pack an entire extra bag just for one nights dinner.....

Next cruise with 2 major birthday celebrations and a 20th wedding anniversary, we will pack our formal clothes for elegant night photos.

Bill

No one is required to be in a tux or a long gown. But, on a formal/elegant night it is nice to see the passengers who make an extra effort and enjoy a "Kodak" moment. A cruise is the one place that has a formal/elegant night. It is also very refreshing to see the youngsters who do choose to dress up as well.

MARAPRINCE

I have worn jeans in the MDR a number of cruise lines including Princess. If that causes distress to a minority of cruisers, perhaps cruising isn't for them?

I just came off the Liberty, did not bother with the little appetizers and nasty mixed drinks. I don't care to meet the captain, in fact have been to so many Captain's parties and never once met any of them. I have seen so many people go to these parties on Formal night and end up so sloshed from gulping down the free drinks, they can't make it to dinner. I prefer to order the drinks I like and enjoy a great dinner in the dining room.

I often attend the "Elegant Night" and skip the Captain's Reception (and Past Cruiser Party) because frankly, I just don't care to meet with the Captain, nor do I care to watch other passengers guzzle down free drinks.

I agree . . . this past week on the SPLENDOR was invited, of course, but didn't attend the Past Cruiser Party and Cheerleader Convention. Its usually a madhouse as those with $1,000 drinking tabs scramble to slam down as many as they can in order to cut their "losses". :DI had no idea when the Captain's Reception was, but did suit up for the main dining room.

Still waiting for that PLATINUM CRUISERS PARTY. :rolleyes: Are you listening Carnival ? ? ? ? :confused:(62 PLATINUM cruisers on the SPLENDOR last week)

There was a Captain's Welcome Party on our Splendor cruise two weeks ago -- no hors d'oeuvres but free drinks —*and regardless of what Carnival posts about dress code on formal night, I can tell you from our experience that the dress code is widely ignored and apparently never enforced, at least on Splendor.

Same on the SPLENDOR this past week . . . lots of t-shirts and baseball caps ! ! Wasn't looking, but I don't recall seeing one tuxedo in the dining room on elegant night. If it weren't for the lobster (which is getting smaller yearly:eek:) and the shrimp dinner, I wouldn't bother packing a suit.

However, I did notice the chocolate melting cake in the buffet every night, so I just skipped desert in the MDR, thereby avoiding the waiter's dog'n'pony show, and took desert in the buffet loaded with ice cream from the machine. Terrific.:D

Archived