Will Anyone Else Skip Formal Night Now That The Captains Cocktail Party Is Over?

Rowan555

DH and I discussed this on our cruise this weekend, and we've decided we're going to skip Elegant Night from now on. We always have such a great time at the Captain's Cocktail Parties, and it always ends up being a highlight of our cruise. The tiny lobster tail and 3 shrimp in the dining room, on the other hand, are just not worth packing dressy clothes for! We'll just head to Lido and eat there in our casual wear. Will anyone else skip elegant night since there's no need to get dressed up for the cocktail party?

We have actually never attended the Captains Party, but always go to Elegant night, or even go to the Supper club on elegant night, with the ambience of the club and the being all dressed up, it's just special.

I wear scrubs to work and don't get dressed up much so this is a really good oportunity for me to get all decked out and feel like a princess.:D

I do drink some but don't mind paying for my drinks, it's a small part of our final bill. Now if I could just stop shopping we'd really save a bundle.

Carole

Why skip it? Order 2 tiny lobs w/shrimp. No dress up required, as long as ya wear pants, shirt and maybe some flip flops.:D

Does anyone want popcorn? I'm getting ready for the fun!!!!!!

We love Elegant Night as it gives us the opportunity to dress up. Look at all the photo ops. Also, how many whiskey sours can you really drink without feeling sick?

DH and I discussed this on our cruise this weekend, and we've decided we're going to skip Elegant Night from now on. We always have such a great time at the Captain's Cocktail Parties, and it always ends up being a highlight of our cruise. The tiny lobster tail and 3 shrimp in the dining room, on the other hand, are just not worth packing dressy clothes for! We'll just head to Lido and eat there in our casual wear. Will anyone else skip elegant night since there's no need to get dressed up for the cocktail party?

we made a plan not to go to the two formal nights years ago (not wanting to haul all the extra clothes, shoes,etc) NEVER AGAIN.... we were the only ones on lido eating food that sucked. the choice was awful.so the 2nd formal night we wore the best we had and explaned to our tablemates our situation and ejoyed a good meal. this was just over 5 yrs ago and people really dressed up. what we wore that 2nd formal night was still dressey compared to what you see now.

the party may be fun, but the best meal of the cruise is on formal nights and talk about letting the air out of your balloon when they served some nasty lamb dish and the grill closed that day at 6pm and couldn't even get a hot dog.

After about 20 cruises we stopped going to the dining room and the Captain's parties. I prefer to eat mostly salads and fruit. (I gain less weight that way!) I also like the freedom of spending the two hours it normally takes to eat in the dining doing something else.:)

The very first thing out of our son's mouth when we told him we had booked another cruise was "So you're going to get me a new tuxedo, right? Because the old one doesn't fit anymore."

So no, the lack of free alcohol at the Captain's Party the first formal night won't affect our plans at all.

I didn't read about this development--no more Captain's party? Soon the dining room will be a buffet and you'll have to pay for shows. Yuck.:mad:

Just off the Destiny and both parties were still given...Past guest and Captain's. We didn't go to either.

Actually, after the first couple, they become quite boring. We haven't gone to a cocktail party in years, but always go to the formal dinner. I've never felt I was dressing up for the free booze, and bad hors d'ouevres.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I thought they were still having the captain's reception, just no more free drinks. Reguardless of the captian's reception or not, we will dress for dinner. I've always avoided the reception anyway, and only went to the past guest party on ships that didn't leave the pins with the invitations. Since there seems to be no more past guest pins, no since wasting 45 minutes of my life on the past guest party either.

What other freebies are they cutting out????:mad:

I always enjoyed going to the reception if it was held in multiple venues so you could go to the bar and order something different than what is on the tray. I like being around a bunch of other people similarly dressed and everyone having a good time. Never enjoyed it when it was only hosted in the show lounge. And those horse doovers;) YUCK! We will still dress elegantly and go to the dining room. As for pics, I have too many 8 x 10 formal pics already. Think we will skip photos next year except embarkation and the port photos.

Archived