First Time on RCI; What Should I Not Miss at Dinner?

The lobster bisque is always very good. Its really rich tasting though. The fisherman's plate which is the lobster and shrimp night. Its always good to ask them to toss a sirloin on the same plate before they bring it out so you have a nice surf and turf dinner.

Don't miss the honey stung chicken in the windjammer buffet at lunch time on embarkation day.

The risottos are usually very good too.

IF you want to lose weight, don't forget to choose the "surf and turf". It's 4 medium sized shrimp, and 2 thin slices of a very tough filet. :mad:

I feel obligated to point out that this was one of the very few dislikes of my cruise, since it was a very fantastic experience!

the one thing that stands out to me is the escargot - we got it as room service (we dont do the MDR at all) with some rolls, the garlic sauce is so delicious...happened to be on the menu the same day as the lobster bisque (we added butter to it....mmmmmmmm) so we got both of those around 6:30 and then went to the WJ for ~8:15 dinner.

The slow roasted prime rib served on the first night of our Jewel Transatlantic was superb. Also the chilled soups are always a favorite of mine. I must say that on this cruise I felt that the portions were larger than in the past and that just about everything, including the vegetables, was cooked to my liking. I don't think I had to order off the alternative menu on any night of the thirteen that we were onboard, which is usually my way of determining my satisfaction with the menus.

I am going to suggest something a little different that you just can't miss. Meeting new friends. The chance to dine with new people and exchange stories and experiences as the cruise goes along, is a major part of your cruise and dining experience. If you are dining with experienced cruisers you may have the benefit of having them make special requests of the waiter or head waiter. My favorite special request if chocolate souflet with hot vanilla sauce. Not usually on the menu, but they will do it on special request under certain conditions.

The best way to approach the food in the Dining Room is don't look for anything in particular. Just select the items that you think you would like, and if there are more than one, thats okay too. Try things you would not normally try at home, you can always order a small piece and then get another if you like it.

Enjoy your cruise.

As others said nothing is "to die for" anymore but some of our favorites are still around...vidalia onion tart, escargot, key lime pie, strawberry bisque (cold soup), asparagus soup, chicken marsala, Mr. Ski likes the duck, eggs benedict in the dining room for breakfast, the omelet/egg station in WJ at breakfast, gran marner souffles, and yes he loves the honey stung chicken in WJ on embarkation day. As far as "bar drinks", I love the BBC. Mr. Ski loves his non-alcoholic Miami Vice (1/2 pina colada 1/2 strawberry daiquiri...not mixed together 1/2 on top and 1/2 on bottom)

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget the Creme Broule, butternut squash soup - Sea Bass Dinner - yummy - and of course we get the nightly shrimp cocktails (you won't get one the first night out) ask for them the first night - my hubby always gets two each night and our whole table got them too - but you have to ask - our cruising buddies is a fish inspector with Florida wildlife and he says they are the best he's ever had:)

Don't miss being on-time;)

We sat with two couples who showed up 45 - 60 minutes late every night. Dinning room manager finally mentioned that they would not be able to be seated if they showed up late anymore. The next night they were only 30 minutes late.:rolleyes:

By the way, we just went ahead and ordered as if everyone had arrived, and they were two extremely nice, friendly couples, they just could not tell time.:eek:

Don't forget the Creme Broule, butternut squash soup - Sea Bass Dinner - yummy - and of course we get the nightly shrimp cocktails (you won't get one the first night out) ask for them the first night - my hubby always gets two each night and our whole table got them too - but you have to ask - our cruising buddies is a fish inspector with Florida wildlife and he says they are the best he's ever had:)

Wife loves shrimp cocktail, thanks for the very useful info.

I agree that it's banquet-grade, but we enjoy it for the company and the time together. The food is good and the WJ is good too. If there is Portofino, definitely go there! Don't feel that if you miss a night in the MDR, you're going to miss the most amazing dinner ever. You won't.

That said, the Gran Marnier Souffle is the one thing we don't miss.

Have a wonderful time!

Archived