Packing Questions-same rules as airplanes?

manchak99

do i have to pack my shampoo in a tiny plastic clear bottle like i would have to on the plane? i'm not flying so if i can just bring a reg shampoo bottle and any other bathroom things in their regular cases, it would be much easier.....

If you're not flying, you can bring anything you want. However, keep in mind that cruise lines always provide shampoo and soap so unless you have your "special" brand, you won't need to bring any. Some lines will often give you other amenities in the cabin as well such as hand lotion (not always the greatest - especially those that come out of a dispenser but if they're in little bottles, those are fine - IMO).

Just remember to pack everything in plastic zip-lock bags so nothing leaks!

When you get your documents, there will be a list of things you can't bring depending on that ship's specifications. For instance on Royal Caribbean (which I have cruised the most recently), you can't bring any alcohol including wine. On NCL you can bring wine but pay a corkage fee when you embark. On other lines, you can bring a reasonable amount of wine with no problems. I've heard people say they haven't had a problem bringing liquor on HAL but don't know for sure.

Royal does not allow irons. I heard steamers, also, but I've heard lately since they sell them in the stores on the ship, they will let you bring them. Lately, they have been going after scissors which is a problem for those men that have facial hair to trim and little old ladies that want to knit.

If you do bring your own shampoo, mouthwash, anything in a bottle, I'd use a small bottle because if the x-ray spots it and thinks alcohol could be inside the bottle, they may hold your luggage and call you down to the "naughty room" to show them it isn't taking up your time waiting in line.

Look through your document booklet and it will tell you what is allowed and what isn't.

Tucker in Texas

We live in Colorado. Shampoo is not an issue. Loose over 5,000' in altitude and gain over 40 percent humidity?????? Shampoo is nothing. Try to find the curl is the work. Ah well. To heck with curl. I'm just going to jump into the salty sea anyway. Oh the worries of a cruise. :cool: Harry :eek:Lucille

do i have to pack my shampoo in a tiny plastic clear bottle like i would have to on the plane? i'm not flying so if i can just bring a reg shampoo bottle and any other bathroom things in their regular cases, it would be much easier.....

Since you're not flying, these restrictions mean nothing. They're only for air travel. By the way, though -- if you were flying, you could pack regular shampoo and other bathroom things in their regular containers -- if you packed them in your stowed luggage! Those small sizes are only required for the luggage you carry on the plane!

Archived