NCL Spirit vs. HAL Veendam to Bermuda

cruisincorgi

I am booked on HAL Veendam to Bermuda this coming June 2010. Really like the itinerary (4 days, 3 nights in St George's and Hamilton), but not so sure about the ship. On the other hand, would like the Spirit, been on her before and loved her, but the itinerary is so-so (3 days, 3 nights in King's Wharf). Any opinions? Has anyone been on the Veendam? Thank you

I am booked on HAL Veendam to Bermuda this coming June 2010. Really like the itinerary (4 days, 3 nights in St George's and Hamilton), but not so sure about the ship. On the other hand, would like the Spirit, been on her before and loved her, but the itinerary is so-so (3 days, 3 nights in King's Wharf). Any opinions? Has anyone been on the Veendam? Thank you

I have not been on either ship, but, I was booked on the Veendam for next August, New York to Bermuda. :)

I did a TON of research and the Veendam sounds like a GREAT SHIP and we just LOVE Holland America.....!!! :D

What sold me was that the ship was small enough to get through the saint Georges Cut, and that is a HUGE PLUS......!!! icon14.gif

Plus, it has that extra day in Bermuda which is another HUGE PLUS.....!!! icon14.gif

But, my DD INSISTS that we go on the Norwegian Dawn. That is the only ship she has ever been on and she REFUSES to try another ship, and definitly NOT another cruise line......!!!

We DO LOVE THE DAWN so it is not a big deal, I just wanted to switch things up a bit, maybe next year......

On the Veendam they have the "As You Wish" Dining, just like NCL's "Freestyle". Of course you will have two "Formal Nights" which are ACTUALLY "Formal".

If my DD was not going with us, I would DEFINITELY pick the Veendam. We think that Holland America is an elegant, classy cruise line.

That said, one day I would LOVE to go on the Spirit, but the Veendam's itinerary is better, that's my personal opinion. Plus, being on a small ship that can get through the cut is SUCH A TREAT.....!!!

Thanks. It is a tough decision. The Spirit has more to do and is 20,000 grts bigger. I was also wondering what the water is like in a smaller ship. I imagine if it's going to be rough, it won't be that much of a difference...

You know, I have been on BIG ships and smaller ships from New York and Boston to Bermuda and the Caribbean, and well, rough seas just happen. You NEVER KNOW what it will be like out in the Atlantic.

A few years ago were on the Norwegian Crown, New York to Bermuda and the sea was like glass, last year we were on the Norwegian Dream, Boston to Bermuda, and, well, that was QUITE A RIDE......!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Last month we were on the Norwegian Dawn, New York to Bermuda and going down it was like we were traveling on a lake, it was VERY, VERY calm.... :)

You are on a ship, out on the ocean. Just hope for the best and bring some Ginger pills......;)

I do believe that NCL has MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER entertainment then Holland America. We think Holland America has better food. But, taste IS a personal thing.

Have you ever been through the Saint Georges Cut? If you never have, it REALLY IS a neat experience......sHa_thumbsup.gif

We totally loved our cruise on 9-4-09 NCL Spirit to Bermuda. Dockyard was not as enjoyable as last years cruise to St George. My fav was our cruise that docked in Hamilton due to weather that stopped entry through the cut into St George . My problem with Dockyard was that buses stop going there rather early. I do feel Spirit would still be my pick as she is a lovely ship with a fantastic crew. J.M.H.O.

We have sailed on both the Veendam and the Dawn and enjoyed both ships. We have sailed the Dawn, our favorite ship, to Bermuda every fall and will be boarding her again on Oct. 4th. However, in 2010 the Dawn does not sail to Bermuda after Sept. 5th so we have booked the Veendam which we sailed on several years ago. The Veendam has the advantage of spending an extra day in Bermuda and being able to dock at both Hamilton and St. George while the Dawn is limited to King's Wharf. However, the Dawn has the advantage of a much lower price for similar balcony cabins on a 7 day Bermuda cruise. As for the Spirit, she does not sail out of New York which we require.

So as not to miss sailing on our favorite ship next year, we have managed to book what we consider an ideal back-to-back cruise out of New York. On Sept. 19th we will board the Dawn for a 7 day cruise to Canada/New England. On Sept. 26th, we disembark the Dawn and walk down the block to board the Veendam for a 7 day cruise to our favorite island Bermuda. The best of both worlds, two fine ships, two different itineraries, different menus and different shows on the 2nd week at a price similar to a 14 day cruise and no flying involved.

As for the OP original question, I would not hesitate sailing on either ship.

We have sailed on both the Veendam and the Dawn and enjoyed both ships. We have sailed the Dawn, our favorite ship, to Bermuda every fall and will be boarding her again on Oct. 4th. However, in 2010 the Dawn does not sail to Bermuda after Sept. 5th so we have booked the Veendam which we sailed on several years ago. The Veendam has the advantage of spending an extra day in Bermuda and being able to dock at both Hamilton and St. George while the Dawn is limited to King's Wharf. However, the Dawn has the advantage of a much lower price for similar balcony cabins on a 7 day Bermuda cruise. As for the Spirit, she does not sail out of New York which we require.

So as not to miss sailing on our favorite ship next year, we have managed to book what we consider an ideal back-to-back cruise out of New York. On Sept. 19th we will board the Dawn for a 7 day cruise to Canada/New England. On Sept. 26th, we disembark the Dawn and walk down the block to board the Veendam for a 7 day cruise to our favorite island Bermuda. The best of both worlds, two fine ships, two different itineraries, different menus and different shows on the 2nd week at a price similar to a 14 day cruise and no flying involved.

Hi, Herb, how are you? How's Ann? That's a great idea, doing the B2B! We are booked on the Spirit on 7/23, and planning to book the Veendam on 10/3. I would hate to give up our "secret" balcony cabin on the Spirit, but on the other hand, I really like this idea! Something to think about....;)

I agree what a great idea for a b2b !!

Most likely I would sail on the Dawn to Bermuda 9/5 and then Dawn to Canada/NE 9/12

Eliminating the need to change ships. Your trip intrigues me though..hmmmm

Hi, Herb, how are you? How's Ann? That's a great idea, doing the B2B! We are booked on the Spirit on 7/23, and planning to book the Veendam on 10/3. I would hate to give up our "secret" balcony cabin on the Spirit, but on the other hand, I really like this idea! Something to think about....;)

Hi Peggy & Joe: Good to hear from you. Hope we can get together on the Dawn again before too long.

Archived