White Pass RR in Skagway

DaveOKC

Just back from an AK trip with a stop in Skagway. Went on a 12:15 pm White Pass RR trip and thought I would share my comments.

First, weather was good for Sept, but we did hit some fog near (but not at) the summit. THe views were wonderful and well worth the expense.

We did not use the Holland tour (which did stop right at the ship), but rather got on a 2 minute bus ride into town provided by the tour company (Chillkoot). We boarded the train at the main station - which was nice since you could walk around the station itself and you got the train station "feel".

We were the only poeple (3) on the bus into town and we had our own train car for the 3 of us!! The ship tour had 20-30 people per car.

We went to Frasier, BC and boarded the same bus (van really) for a scenic ride back into town - again the only ones on it. The driver Mike was a great guide and provided plenty of local "color". He stopped along the way for photo shoots wherever we wanted to.

We liked this tour (took about 3.5 to 4.0 hours) as the folks who did the roundtrip train said the return was very boring and most fell asleep! There is a 7.5 hour tour that goes much further into Canada, but that 6 hours on the bus would have been too much for us.

Anyway - I highly recommend this tour and certianly would do my own reservations (it was a bit cheaper also).

DaveOKC

I have a question - how long was the train on the whitepass? Also, you said you didn't do it roundtrip so you drove back which made it shorter. I always heard to do whitepass - but for me stuck on a train for 7 hrs, I'd go stir crazy even if we had beautiful views - I think I'd want to do it your way. thanks :)

I have a question - how long was the train on the whitepass? Also, you said you didn't do it roundtrip so you drove back which made it shorter. I always heard to do whitepass - but for me stuck on a train for 7 hrs, I'd go stir crazy even if we had beautiful views - I think I'd want to do it your way. thanks :)

The one way train to Fraser is 1 1/2 hours, round trip 3 hours. The bus combo trips offer plenty of varied touring, that is consistantly raved about. This round trip "summit" either by round trip train or one way combos, does NOT get into the Yukon, which may be a highpoint for some.

Another train run is the Lake Bennett train, longer. Details http://www.whitepassrailroad.com

We also did the Chilkoot Charters tour but did the 7.5 hour tour into Yukon and lunch at Carcross. We took the train up and like the previous poster were met at the ship by our driver, Mike. He was fantastic. Really knowledgeabe about the area and was always willing to stop for pictures on the van ride back. DH and I--the only ones on this tour-- were taken to the train station and one of the "conductors" told us which car we had to sit in. There were very few people on the train, only about 10 in our car but they kept the people grouped in just a few cars. Guess they didn't want to have to clean all the cars. When Mike met us in Fraser he had another CC couple with him who were doing the van up and train back. After lunch and a trip to Emerald lake, Lake Bennett and sightseeing along the way--including seeing moose walking right along the side of the road--we dropped the other couple off at the train in Fraser and we continued on with Mike to Skagway. I can't say enough about how wonderful Mike was. I usually "tolerate" tour operators but Mike was interesting and very accommodating. The 7.5 hours did not drag and being on a smaller van didn't give us that herded feeling. If you book with Chilkoot ask for Mike. You won't regret it.

Hi, You are correct if you were on the train , up to the Canadian line and back. We did it in May and it was sleeting and the snow was to the roof of the Royal C Mountie house at the Border.They had to run the snow plow the day before so the rails were clear. We enjoyed the trip, it was not from the ship, but walking into the station.JY.

Thank you for the review. We are also planning on doing the 7 hour tour in July with Chilkoot. I waould prefer the train up and the van back down, but am a bit concerned about the timing. We only have a half hour from the time the ship is scheduled to dock in Skagway and the tour. Would that be enough time? We arrive at 7 AM.

Thank you for the review. We are also planning on doing the 7 hour tour in July with Chilkoot. I waould prefer the train up and the van back down, but am a bit concerned about the timing. We only have a half hour from the time the ship is scheduled to dock in Skagway and the tour. Would that be enough time? We arrive at 7 AM.

You need to verify this direct with the vendor. AND sit on the left side of the train, since you will be only going one way, right side of bus from the White Pass summit to Emerald Lake also has the most views. BUT on the return the left side has the best for the White Pass summit to Skagway.

The ships all say that they arrive at 7 but actually dock at Skagway between 4 and 6am, so you have lots of time.

You need to verify this direct with the vendor. AND sit on the left side of the train, since you will be only going one way, right side of bus from the White Pass summit to Emerald Lake also has the most views. BUT on the return the left side has the best for the White Pass summit to Skagway.

Thanks! good information. So what I need to remember is left - right - left.....right?:p

DaveOKC,

I like the sound of the train-bus combo tour, as I really want to do WhitePass but don't want to spend 3.5 hours in the train.

Can you post the website for Chilkoot, the company you took the tour with? How much was the trip, in comparison to the White Pass round trip (i think it was about $110 for the shore excursion)?

thanks

Just thought of another question:

We're cruising in early May, has anyone driven up White Pass that early? I think someone posted about snow removal...

I want to enjoy the scenery, without having to worry about icy roads, whether I'm driving or someone else is.

thanks

The train and bus combo was $122. The ship charged $122 for the train/train but that only went to the WHite Pass summit and not to Fraiser. The ship also had one that went to Fraiser and returned by bus, but it stopped at a gold panning place on the way back and was about $40 more than what we paid.

DaveOKC

Just thought of another question:

We're cruising in early May, has anyone driven up White Pass that early? I think someone posted about snow removal...

I want to enjoy the scenery, without having to worry about icy roads, whether I'm driving or someone else is.

thanks

Yep, I've been there early. One trip had a "snow storm" on the White Pass. Had to drive real slow, but definately no "problem" for me. Roads were clear, with massive snow banks, probably over 12 feet. :) Snow the whole way up, and no "Emerald" lake, (color) completely froze over. Carcross still "closed". :) But in my opinion, still a great time for the drive. Just different.

DaveOKC - thanks for the pricing info. I thought the ship tour went to the same place, so I'll have to investigate further. I like having the different route back with the option for stopping for photos. You neve know what you'll see.

Budget Queen - That sounds like my last trip to the Rockies in June...:p

Archived