Do it yourself laundry on the Statendam

CanCruzer

I understand the Statendam has self-service laundry. Does anyone know what the facilities are like? Large capacity front loading washers, or typical drum washers? How about the dryers? How much for each? Do they supply soap and fabric softener? Is there a charge? Is there an iron and ironing board? Is there a charge for that?

Last time I was on the Statendam (a few years ago) the washers and dryers were the stackable kind. Typical drum type if I remember correctly. The dryers were free, but the wash was (I think) about $2 a load ??? The washer dispenses the soap automatically. No fabric softener. I'm sure someone that just got off the Statendam will reply with better info. Iron and board are free. It was a small room, not much space for people. But time it right and you can have the room to yourself. Happy Sailing!

Just off Statendam on Aug. 30. There are 3 laundry rooms; one on deck 4, one on deck 5 and one on deck 9.

Deck 5 had 5 or 6 stackable front loaders--washers were about medium capacity

Deck 4 had fewer machines-- maybe 3

I didn't check out the ones on deck 9.

Washers were $2 each and soap is provided--you just push a button.

Dryers were $1 for 30 minutes. I brought my own dryer sheets and was able to fit 2 wash loads into one dryer.

Both washer and dryer had options as to type of load-- normal, delicate, etc

Iron and Ironing board are provided as well as large laundry baskets.

Enjoy your cruise--we certainly did!:)

the soap that dispenses is a low-suds soap which is right for the machines and the environment. I have read on this blog that you can use your own soap but need to use much less but why bring it unless you have a special allergy. I have used the laundry on the Statendam for clothes worn on our Denali land tour before getting on the cruise and on the Amsterdam on our 14 day Panama Canal cruise. I have never seen another person sitting waiting for their laundry to be done but some of the machines did have clothes in them.

If it's anything like the Ryndam, the room was very tight. The washer/dryers were stacked. The area between the machines and the wall was very narrow. There was an opening at the end with a table. I didn't need it though as we were just down the hall so I brought our clothes back to the room to fold. Wash was $2, dryer was $1. Soap is already in the machines, you just push a button. I do wish I had some fabric softener as the clothes didn't come out very soft. But no biggie, at least dh had clean undies. :D

Just a note: if you do laundry towards the end of the cruise be prepared to wait in line. The last 3 days of our cruise there was always a line of people waiting. Oh and the laundry doesn't open until 9am and closes at 9pm.

Oh and the laundry doesn't open until 9am and closes at 9pm.

Thanks all for the info. I hadn't thought to ask about time. I just assumed it was always open as it was on our last NCL cruise. We are early risers and would typically do laundry very early when there was no one using the facilities. These restricted hours will put a kink in those plans :(

I wonder why the limit the hours. Noise?

The laundry room opens at 7 AM -- we have sailed on the Statendam a few times and I used the laundry room -- I like to be there bright and early in the morning.

Even though there is not to keep the laundry door closed -- many people leave it open -- thus they have to limit the hours because of the cabins near them.

We're planning on using the laundry rooms on the Prinsendam on our Med cruise. With pre-cruise time in Italy, post-cruise time in Greece, and the length of the cruise itself there's no way we can haul along enough clothing without doing some wash. We'll use the ship's dry cleaning service but no way Mrs. K is going to turn her undies over to the ship's laundry service. :o I assume the Prinsendam self-service laundry is basically the same as on the R and S ships?????

Randyk47 - The biggest difference in the laundry on the Prinsendam is that she was built for Royal Viking Line. They didn't charge to use the laundry machines - thus they don't have the slots for coins. They are free.

btw - I'm with your wife - even when we've had free ship's laundry (been in a suite) or paid for the unlimited laundry service, I still do some laundry on my own. There are just some things I will NOT send out to be washed.

Randyk47 - The biggest difference in the laundry on the Prinsendam is that she was built for Royal Viking Line. They didn't charge to use the laundry machines - thus they don't have the slots for coins. They are free.

btw - I'm with your wife - even when we've had free ship's laundry (been in a suite) or paid for the unlimited laundry service, I still do some laundry on my own. There are just some things I will NOT send out to be washed.

Thanks! Mrs. K will be thrilled to hear that. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I understand the Statendam has self-service laundry. Does anyone know what the facilities are like? Large capacity front loading washers, or typical drum washers? How about the dryers? How much for each? Do they supply soap and fabric softener? Is there a charge? Is there an iron and ironing board? Is there a charge for that?

Was on the Statendam last January and did laundry..machines are front loaders as are dryers. No charge for soap..There is a charge for machines..There is an iron and ironing board,no charge/

Hint: Bring your own Bounce fabric softener sheets...

Archived