Questions for Flyertalker etc - air BWI to PPT????

Hflors

I am looking at a cruise in Tahiti. The airfare is more than the cruise. But looking online I see that (hypothetically) if I book one of our low cost from my home port of BWI to LAX then get the international flight from LAX to PPT the cost is about $500.00 less per person then if I take the cruise line or flight I see to book from BWI to PPT. If I were to do this how much time would you allow between arrival at LAX and the departure to PPT? Can you think of any other drawbacks?

Since the flights arn't that far out (I am looking at next Dec 2010) I picked a date next March to get an idea of prices.

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks

Helen

If you have two separate tickets, BWI to LAX on one, and then LAX to PPT on another, you will most likely have to claim your luggage in LAX OUTSIDE of security, re-check it, and go back through security again.

For the trip you are talking about, I would start with four hours, and go up from there.

Rich

If you have two separate tickets, BWI to LAX on one, and then LAX to PPT on another, you will most likely have to claim your luggage in LAX OUTSIDE of security, re-check it, and go back through security again.

For the trip you are talking about, I would start with four hours, and go up from there.

Rich

Good lord I didn't even think about the security issue. Looks like I am going to need to re-think this issue. It is just that the fares to Tahiti are sooo expensive :( I am looking for any way possible to bring down the cost of this cruise.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Thanks for your imput.

Helen

Also consider the time and effort for changing terminals. If you are coming into LAX on WN, that's into T1. The good news if connecting to Air France is that you go out of T2, fairly close. OTOH, if you are on Air Tahiti Nui, that's from TBIT. Or you can also connect though HNL with Hawaiian.

In any case, there are at most 3 nonstops from LAX to PPT per day (and AF does not operate 7 days a week). You most assuredly don't want to miss your flight out of LAX, as the LAX-PPT airline will not care that your WN flight was late from BWI. You will just be a no-show, and your ticket may very well be canceled and worthless.

I would want a minimum of 6 hours to cover contingencies and preferably more, even a day.

As for the cost...PPT is a long way off, with limited service. The only airports you can fly into PPT from are Sydney, Auckland, Tokyo, Osaka, Easter Island, Honolulu and Los Angeles. North American traffic is pretty much funneled through LAX or HNL.

There are many times when the land/sea portion of a vacation is much less than the transportation to get there. Depending on the cruise you are thinking of, this may be one of them.

Good lord I didn't even think about the security issue. Looks like I am going to need to re-think this issue. It is just that the fares to Tahiti are sooo expensive :( I am looking for any way possible to bring down the cost of this cruise.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Thanks for your imput.

Helen

Have you looked into the RT to Tahiti that sails out of San Diego on HAL? Even if the total cost isn't much less, it is still worth it because you will spend a lot more days at sea and fewer hours on a plane. Plus you will get to be a "golden shellback" by crossing the equator and dateline at the same time ;)

Also consider the time and effort for changing terminals. If you are coming into LAX on WN, that's into T1. The good news if connecting to Air France is that you go out of T2, fairly close. OTOH, if you are on Air Tahiti Nui, that's from TBIT. Or you can also connect though HNL with Hawaiian.

In any case, there are at most 3 nonstops from LAX to PPT per day (and AF does not operate 7 days a week). You most assuredly don't want to miss your flight out of LAX, as the LAX-PPT airline will not care that your WN flight was late from BWI. You will just be a no-show, and your ticket may very well be canceled and worthless.

I would want a minimum of 6 hours to cover contingencies and preferably more, even a day.

As for the cost...PPT is a long way off, with limited service. The only airports you can fly into PPT from are Sydney, Auckland, Tokyo, Osaka, Easter Island, Honolulu and Los Angeles. North American traffic is pretty much funneled through LAX or HNL.

There are many times when the land/sea portion of a vacation is much less than the transportation to get there. Depending on the cruise you are thinking of, this may be one of them.

Thankd for your response. I think this is a bad idea. OK back to plan B. I will need to think this one over again.

Again thanks

Helen

Good lord I didn't even think about the security issue.
I wouldn't let one additional round of security put you off. It's only security, after all - it's an irritation but not a major hassle. Just build in the time for it, and for the fact that you have to get your own luggage to the other terminal.

Have you looked into the RT to Tahiti that sails out of San Diego on HAL? Even if the total cost isn't much less, it is still worth it because you will spend a lot more days at sea and fewer hours on a plane. Plus you will get to be a "golden shellback" by crossing the equator and dateline at the same time ;)

I have considered this, but we still work so we can't get 30 days off at one time. Actually I could get the time off, but Dh can't. Bummer!

This is a long plane trip. Have you considered flying into LAX the day before, using Priceline for a hotel room, and continuing your trip to Tahiti the next day?

I had "kind of" thought of this. This is an idea worth investigating. Thanks for putting this idea in black and white.

I have considered this, but we still work so we can't get 30 days off at one time. Actually I could get the time off, but Dh can't. Bummer!

I know what you mean, we're trying to figure out how to do it but will have to wait for 2011. :)

I like the idea rugrats had, of spending the night in LA as a break... but of course I'll find any excuse to stay at the Queen Mary for a night or two :o

I had "kind of" thought of this. This is an idea worth investigating. Thanks for putting this idea in black and white.

You dont mention the total that you are seeing for BWI-PPT, only the difference.

I am seeing $1293.00 taxes included , JFK-PPT, (AA to LAX and then Air Tahiti to Papeete). Ticketed together, no fussing with luggage at LAX, I believe.

This is approx. $300 more than LAX-PPT by itself.

Helen, Email ATN and get on their mailing list. They have good sales. Air France also does nice job. I was looking at Princess (Royal?)2010-2011 going over from Vancouver to PPT, then back to HNL. HNL is 3 hours closer to States than PPT. I have noticed more S. Pacific cruises 2010-11 than previous years. Oceania is contemplating it. Go for it!

Archived