Which tour for stingray city?

peiaigol524

We will be in GC in January 2010.

A few questions regarding some of the mentioned tour operators:

1. Captain Marvins - What beach did you go to for lunch, how long were you there? Capacity? Rum Punch on board?

2. Nativeway - how long were you at Rum Point? Capacity? Rum Punch on board?

We are looking for a stingray/snorkel/beach/lunch tour and it seems like Marvins and Nativeway are our two choices. Does anyone know of any other choices?

What about prepayment and refund policies if we are unable to tender?

Are kids allowed to do the Sting Ray City? I want to do this excursion with my family in November.

Yes. I don't know if the companies have a lower age limit, but I have seen many kids out there. They LOVE it! To be sure, just e-mail the company you want to use to see what their policies are.

Are kids allowed to do the Sting Ray City? I want to do this excursion with my family in November.

Yes. FYI, I have also seen that some companies offer discounted rates for children under a certain age (10 or 12 and under) and free for 4 and under. If memory serves, I think one is MARVINS and another is FRANKS WATERSPORTS, but like the PP, check with the company.

We will be in GC in January 2010.

A few questions regarding some of the mentioned tour operators:

1. Captain Marvins - What beach did you go to for lunch, how long were you there? Capacity? Rum Punch on board?

2. Nativeway - how long were you at Rum Point? Capacity? Rum Punch on board?

We are looking for a stingray/snorkel/beach/lunch tour and it seems like Marvins and Nativeway are our two choices. Does anyone know of any other choices?

What about prepayment and refund policies if we are unable to tender?

I was on Nativeway RRR tour last Wednesday. Overall, best excursion I've ever done...Better than the royal swim with dolphins in Coz...

I'll answer your questions. We we're at Rum point beach for 90mins, food was ready the second we got there...So even at we ate, we had 85mins to spend. Water and Ice tea was included, soda/juice/bar drinks were extra. They had a $50 30mins jetski rental at rum point beach. We could of had more time if we wanted.

Capacity is impossible to accurately answer. I'm know they have multiple boats and GUESS they take multiple boats depending on how many people signed up. I'll assume the more boats at port greatly increases the odds of more people signing up. On mine, we had I'm guessing 30-35 people. However, they were offering at $25 ray and reef special and all but 7 people were doing that special. After the reef was over, a new boat showed up and took everyone away as 7 people plus me and DW headed to rum point. Easy questions, yes they have rum-LESS punch or non-alcoholic fruit punch and water. You do not pay upfront, actually paid on the way to rum point beach. Other info, we were on the second tender off the cruise ship and they didn't leave until almost two hours later. They offer photos for $45, I tried to negotiate and they wouldn't for me...They got us back in a little over an hour of the last tender, however we were the only ship in town that day.

I was overall the highlight of the cruise. Can't be beat for the money. However, if money isn't an object, I'd do the jet skis tour. For a double it's only $50 total more for two people compared to nativeway, but the jet skis is generally only half the time. Meaning you need to probably spend more $$$ to entertain yourself for the day and I believe lunch isn't included.

Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Looking for reviews of those who did the full day, which includes lunch on the beach. According to a rep with Marvins it is on the north side of the island at a yacht club. How was the beach....comparable to seven mile or Rum point? I have narrowed my decsion to Nativeway and Marvins, but need more input on the beach/lunch portion of Marvins tours.

NutsAboutGolf,

1. What time (Grand Cayman time) were you picked up at the pier by Native Way Watersports for their RRR tour?

2. What time (Grand Cayman time) were you back at the pier so you could catch the launch back to the ship if you wanted to?

Thanks

Art

NutsAboutGolf,

1. What time (Grand Cayman time) were you picked up at the pier by Native Way Watersports for their RRR tour?

2. What time (Grand Cayman time) were you back at the pier so you could catch the launch back to the ship if you wanted to?

Thanks

Art

1. There was a guy holding a sign about 20mins after we got off the tender. 8:45 GC time was when he headed to the bus.

2. I remember specifically they left Rum point at 12:45 (GC time), I believe it was a little after 2pm (GC time) we were back at port. As stated, we were the only ship in port and didn't notice any traffic.

We just got back from the Valor and used "Frank's Watersports". I brought my two kidos and they both loved Stingray City and the snorkeling at the "Gardens". We were picked up at the pier in a very nice bus with air-C. The price was reasonable...$35 for adults and $25 for kids. It included transportation, drinks, and snacks. I feel it was a steal!:)

1. There was a guy holding a sign about 20mins after we got off the tender. 8:45 GC time was when he headed to the bus.

2. I remember specifically they left Rum point at 12:45 (GC time), I believe it was a little after 2pm (GC time) we were back at port. As stated, we were the only ship in port and didn't notice any traffic.

NutsAboutGolf

Thank you for the information.

Art

My kids and I went with them in August. We had a great time. We got to the sandbar with the stingrays before a lot of other boats. They provide small squid to feed the stingrays - the captain said that they like it better than chuncks of fish. On the way back after snorkeling, the captain went diving for sea stars and other creatures and we got to see them up close. There was bottled water, fresh fruit and another snack (I think it was a giant cookie - I didn't have any so I don't totally remember) provided and beer was available for purchase on the way back in. There was plenty of time left to shop before heading back to the ship. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Check out their website - you can find it with a quick web search. But the pictures don't do it justice. Have a great trip!:)

My kids and I went with them in August. We had a great time. We got to the sandbar with the stingrays before a lot of other boats. They provide small squid to feed the stingrays - the captain said that they like it better than chuncks of fish. On the way back after snorkeling, the captain went diving for sea stars and other creatures and we got to see them up close. There was bottled water, fresh fruit and another snack (I think it was a giant cookie - I didn't have any so I don't totally remember) provided and beer was available for purchase on the way back in. There was plenty of time left to shop before heading back to the ship. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Check out their website - you can find it with a quick web search. But the pictures don't do it justice. Have a great trip!:)

We are debating on doing the short ray & reef vs the all day RRR with Nativeway. With the first we will have time to shop. Did you go shopping? How was it?

We are debating on doing the short ray & reef vs the all day RRR with Nativeway. With the first we will have time to shop. Did you go shopping? How was it?

I know it wasn't directed at me, but wanted to answer.

I again got off one of the first tenders and had nearly two hours before Nativeway left, so that's what I did the port shopping. Even when I came back, we still had technically an hour and 15mins. We had one carnival tour come back an hour late, so in reality had even more time. I would recommend looking to see if how many ships are in port that day as that will dictate traffic and tender lines. I liked the all day tour as otherwise you need to find something to do thus probably spend a lot more money trying to find entertainment. I really wanted the wave runner but passed because the time was short. I have no regrets for my decision :)

kasil,

We are also doing Stingray Sailing in late November. It is great to read all the positive reviews. We were hoping to stop at 7 mile beach on the way back. I know we would have to take a taxi on our own back to the ship, but when you say you had extra time, can you quantify for me?

Thank you,

Kimberly

Definately use Captain Marvins. The day we were in Grand Cayman the water was a bit rough and all stingray city tours got cancelled but ours. The "city" itself was closed and we even had the Cayman Police come and tell us we had to leave..only after being there for 15 minutes already. They even gave us a $15 refund because we didnt get to stay for 5 more minutes. Needless to say everyone else who booked through the ship or another company complained all day that their Stingray City excursion got canclled and we couldn't help but smile :)

The building is close to the pier too..easy to find.. the staff are wonderful and even though Stingray City was technically closed.. we were still 100% safe ( you can stand in the water..not deep at all.. the snorkling was a bit harder) THey got us back to the dock in plenty of time too, enough for us to shop and have lunch.

We used Stingray Sailing and their customer service is awesome. They really care about providing the expected tour to their customers. The weather did not cooperate while we were there, and Chip made the best of it. It ended up being an awesome day thanks to his willingness to work around the weather for guests onboard who really wanted to see the rays. (total people on board-8!)Chip dropped us off at Royal Palms on the way back so we could eat and play in the waves. Next time we are at Grand Cayman, we will defintely be looking them up again. :)

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with Nativeways in February.

It was decent, but not what was promised.

Nativeways was a little too slipshod an operation for my tatse.

I just booked a Rays and Reef tour with Stingray Sailing for our January cruise.

Like many have already stated. Truly professional and VERY quick to reply to your requests.

Looking forward to trying a more professionally run operation this trip.

Back to my Nativeways experience.

We had booked it, because, it would be back at the pier an hour before the final tender.

I asked specifically when I met the guide and he assured me that they always arrived back even earlier than the hour we planned for. (back to this point at the end)

First they took extra time at the pier, trying to decide which group took which bus to the dock where their 3 boats were moored.

Then when we got to the boats, the lady in charge and the 3 captains seemed to have trouble deciding which boat each of the 3 different tours would take and exactly which passengers belonged in which group.

Apparently, they couldn't get the lists right, so we had to meet with both of the other boats during our excursion and swap passengers back onto the correct boats. (easily wasted an hour between the two swap stops)

Then by the time we arrived at Sting Ray City, it was packed, with two boats waiting to pull into the area, before us, so we sat outside the ring of ships for 25-30 minutes waiting for 3 boats to leave, so we could pull in.

Then when we finally arrived at Rum Point, they had our lunches ready, but we only got to stay for 55 minutes or so, before the Captain was calling us back to the boat.

Then as we returned to the dock to get back on the bus, they took their sweet time slowly cruising back, to collect all their tips and try to sell some more pictures. (even though we were clearly running late)

We piled onto the bus and headed back to the port.

There was 7 of us from the carnival Freedom. (all of us assured we would be back in plenty of time. It was less than an hour before we left the boat dock)

By the time we neared the pier area, we had 10 minutes for the last tender.

The driver told us, not to worry, he will take us to the lot and drop us off, but instead, we chose to bail out on the street, as close as we could and run for it.

We made it onto the final tender, with about 3 minutes to spare, befroe we pulled out.

It was still a good excursion, as Sting Ray City, is just that much fun.

(didn't see what was so great about Rum Point. Seven Mile beach was much nicer)

This time, I want a little less excitement and less stress in my shore excursion.

Hopefully, with a more professional tour company.

Bill

We went with Chip and Mark with Stingray Sailing.

They can be found at stringraysailing dot com.

Small group, GREAT guides... On the way back from our time on the sandbar (where the rays are), we saw a ship tour (aka: cattleboat) heading towards the rays.

can't say enough good things about them.

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with Nativeways in February.

It was decent, but not what was promised.

Nativeways was a little too slipshod an operation for my taste.

Back to my Nativeways experience.

First they took extra time at the pier, trying to decide which group took which bus to the dock where their 3 boats were moored.

Then when we got to the boats, the lady in charge and the 3 captains seemed to have trouble deciding which boat each of the 3 different tours would take and exactly which passengers belonged in which group.

Apparently, they couldn't get the lists right, so we had to meet with both of the other boats during our excursion and swap passengers back onto the correct boats. (easily wasted an hour between the two swap stops)

Then by the time we arrived at Sting Ray City, it was packed, with two boats waiting to pull into the area, before us, so we sat outside the ring of ships for 25-30 minutes waiting for 3 boats to leave, so we could pull in.

Then when we finally arrived at Rum Point, they had our lunches ready, but we only got to stay for 55 minutes or so, before the Captain was calling us back to the boat.

Then as we returned to the dock to get back on the bus, they took their sweet time slowly cruising back, to collect all their tips and try to sell some more pictures. (even though we were clearly running late)

We piled onto the bus and headed back to the port.

There was 7 of us from the carnival Freedom. (all of us assured we would be back in plenty of time. It was less than an hour before we left the boat dock)

By the time we neared the pier area, we had 10 minutes for the last tender.

The driver told us, not to worry, he will take us to the lot and drop us off, but instead, we chose to bail out on the street, as close as we could and run for it.

We made it onto the final tender, with about 3 minutes to spare, before we pulled out.

Bill

Did you ever contact the company about how their employees performed??? I am concerned - we booked with Nativeway based on comments here & at trip advisor & yours seems to be the first real negatives I've seen so I would be interested in their reply to your complaint & the professionalism (or lack of) involved. Thanks

We just returned from Grand Caymen and we went with Captain Marvin's. I chose Captain Marvins because they had medium size boats with a lot of shade, not too many people and air conditioned bus. We did the 10AM trip with Sting Ray City, Barrier Reef and Coral Gardens for 40$. It was an easy walk to their shop in the Waterfront Center across the street from the tender port. They told us to be there at 9:15. We paid and the bus picked us up at 9:30. We drove to a residential area and boarded the boat at 9:50 and left by 10. We had only 16 passengers and there was plenty of room. We could even sit on the bow if we wanted.

It was a pleasant ride out to the area and since Sting Ray City was crowded we went to the Barrier Reef first. Everything is very close so it was easy to get to. There was a lot of wave action on the Barrier reef and you could only swim at the inner reef. The reef sticks out of the water in places so you can’t go to the other side. The water was clear but a bit rough. We snorkeled about 30 minutes there and then went to see the sting rays. You can stand on the sand bar and we were able to hold, kiss and feed the rays. They are really big and soft. One of the guys told us all about the rays and helped us hold one. Another guy took pictures. It was really great. We then went to Coral Garden for another 30 minutes of snorkeling. This was a really great trip and I highly recommend it. You can get off the ship and find a vendor at the tender pier selling trips for 40$ but you don’t know what you will really get and how reliable the bus and boat are. We arrived back at their shop at 1PM and headed back to the ship since we have been to Grand Cayman several times.

Here is the link from my cruise with pictures of Sting Ray City.

http://cid-1e98e90214e77bf9.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Crown%2009

Did you ever contact the company about how their employees performed??? I am concerned - we booked with Nativeway based on comments here & at trip advisor & yours seems to be the first real negatives I've seen so I would be interested in their reply to your complaint & the professionalism (or lack of) involved. Thanks

The lady who runs Nativeways (can't remember her name right now), was one of the people who could not get the passengers straight on the 3 different excursions.

She knew exactly what was going on all day, with swapping the passengers.

Did not see much point in complaining to the person who probably was responsible for the screw ups from the start.

(she was arguing with our driver/mate at the pier before we left, about who should be in which bus)

Like I said.

The excursion itself was good.

Just the actions amongst the owner and employees that shortened our time and rushed the end of the day needlessly.

Bill

The lady who runs Nativeways (can't remember her name right now), was one of the people who could not get the passengers straight on the 3 different excursions.

Did not see much point in complaining to the person who probably was responsible for the screw ups from the start.

(she was arguing with our driver/mate at the pier before we left, about who should be in which bus)

Like I said.

Just the actions amongst the owner and employees that shortened our time and rushed the end of the day needlessly.

Bill

Sorry to hear that about Nativeway. I guess everyone has an off day, and it's unfortunate that it happened to you on your day in GC.

I know that Sharon does read this board so she should be aware of what happened to you. When we took the tour almost a year ago, her husband was our bus driver.

Like I said.

Bill

Sorry to hear that about Nativeway. I guess everyone has an off day, and it's unfortunate that it happened to you on your day in GC. I would have been disappointed, too...and nervous about cutting it so close to the last tender.

I know that Sharon does read this board so she should be aware of what happened to you. When we took the tour almost a year ago, her husband was our bus driver.

I'm going to Grand Cayman Island for one of my stops! and i want to do the sting ray tour by ourself instead of going with the cruise line. Which tour company have you guys gone with that are reliable? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

not sure if you cruised and/or booked yet but we just got back and had booked with stingraysailing dot com. It's the best tour company we ever used. Michelle the captains wife is REALLY fast with emails, and will answer any questions you may have. It's a nice size catamaren? so it's not so crowded like other tours. Chip is the captain and Mark was his asst, they were FANTASTIC, they are right there in the water with and helping you interact with the stingrays. When we went to the snorkel part my 11 yr old was drifting towards the reef and before I could grab him, Chip was there ( not even sure where he came from lol) grabbed him and pulled him back in the right direction. After the snorkel, Chip brought out some fresh cut up fruit to rid the salty taste in the mouth. THey also have complimentary bottled water. Soda and beer are for sale. Michelle lets you know ahead of time what they offer and even you want something else they'll make sure they have it for you. Chip and Mark were very friendly and talked the whole time. I HIGHLY recommend them...

Moby Dick is another tour that does a great job. We just returned and had a great time with them. Owner Mark really cares about the reef and the rays. On our tour, he felt it was too crowded around the rays, so we snorkled first and then did the rays afterwards. They met us at the dock too! moby dick tours dot com (or better yet - do a google search)

Archived