Noro (GI) - Xpedition veterans

Kami's pal

Sara,

I'm sorry, but your original post wasn't very specific, and didn't sound "serious". I apoligize for jumping to the wrong conclusion. Were you travelling alone? Surely there must have been others on the cruise you got close to that were nearby to speak to and offer help. I'm afraid I can't relate, because I never venture off alone. When I travelled single I always went with someone. And no-one ever misunderstood my intentions... I would have made a lot of noise on that ship if that had happened to me.

Again, I apoligize. Thanks for setting me straight.

You're right. I have been on a crusade trying to enlist enough people to force Celebrity to address this problem.

I'm angry that I trusted a reputable company and let my guard down. I feel cheated out of 2 days of an expensive, once in a lifetime trip. And I got angrier when I realized from others' postings that we were all being placated but nothing was changing. I feel less safe on any Celebrity product now. HAL's response, (granted they could be accused of being forced to admit the problem because they stop at a CDC inspection port) was so much more reasonable.

Like you, I know that silence only allows the evil to continue.

However, your breaking the silence is so much more difficult. Have you read After Silence: Rape and my Journey Back by Nancy Veneble Raine or I am the Central Park Jogger by Trisha Meili? Both women tell of how difficult just telling people about their assault was. There is a stigma attached. Well meaning people want to offer helpful advice such as "...never go anywhere alone" which is a way of blaming the victim. Voyageur, I apologize for using your words as an example of what these two authors found so hurtful.

They spoke out so that the victims of assault would be empowered. In doing that, they did make the legal world change. You apparently made certain that no one on Xpedition had to worry about going about the ship alone.

Sara, my advice may be just as hurtful in ways I can't know. If so, I apologize. Perhaps reading others' memoirs isn't right for you. But these two authors did give me a bit of insight into the problem of assault victims.

Meantime, I do hope that Xpedition will eventually admit the GI infection and take all measures to reduce the numbers. Just blaming the passengers for not washing their hands isn't enough!

I've been reading these boards with great interest about Celebrity's galapagos trip. It sounded so wonderful, just what we wanted for our anniversary, so I booked it. With the recent boards, I'm reconsidering our decision. Are other boats in Galapagos having the same problem or is this specific to the Xpedition? Has anyone else who is worried found some other cruise to Galapagos that is recommended?

Some friends did the Lindblad tour recently and were pleased. No illness on their trip. National Geographic and Abercrombie & Kent have tours in Galapagos. A work colleague did the A&K and they did not have the Turista issues on their sailing. There are quite a few options available on the internet. If you have a group of 10-12 pax, you can charter your own group sailing on a smaller vessel. We looked into this option before going on Celebrity. If you are interested in planning your own excursion, I have an email address for the person who worked on our itinerary. He gets back to you quickly.

Ingrid.

Voyageur, I traveled with my sister on her business trip to Ecuador. I took a side trip to Galapagos as a single. The employee did not get fired -- he was already scheduled to leave to open his own business.

Ladies, it’s fine to travel alone, but please exercise good judgment. We know how to stay safe, we just don’t always trust our intuition.. Never allow a mere acquaintance to show you the way to a great shop down the road. Never follow anyone away from the mainstream.

Please give Kami’s Pal the support she needs to get this Turista issue resolved. She has already taken her trip, yet continues to work diligently to improve the experience for others. Right now, Kami’s Pal is out there hanging on a limb alone. Those scheduled to travel in 2005, you need to start making some noise, or risk wearing a “towel diaper” on shore excursions. That's unacceptable! It's obvious from the most recent trip report that Celebrity is not giving this issue the attention it deserves.

Galapagos is a wonderful, exciting venue, but it's an active vacation & you do need to be well to enjoy it.

Sara

Herenthere,

I need to check with my friend, but the Polaris sounds familiar.

Email me for the contact to plan your own itinerary. I happened upon his website on the internet. He was excellent to work with, attentive to details, flexible in his planning -- you tell him the experience you want, and he will make it happen. There were different prices for pax who wanted to scuba dive. He has DSL internet & responds to questions quickly.

He told me that there are 400 Naturalists in the National Park system, and most work as independent contractors. During the planning, let him know if anyone in your group has a specific area of interest, (like scuba) and he will hire the appropriate naturalist for the job.

Hope this helps.

Ingrid

email: jazz4az@yahoo.com

Sorry, tried to post a link to this article but could not get it to work right so I am trying again. It is a wonderful review even if it is a few years old. Enjoy!!

#37 January 28th, 2005, 09:32 AM

NCtom

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Jul 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to an unusual and touching review of one person's trip to the Galapagos Islands. It is from the on-line NY Times Travel page.

This review reminds us that we are visitors into a very fragile environment.

http://travel2.nytimes.com/mem/travel/article-printpage.html?pagewanted=all&n=Top/Features/Travel/Destinations/Central%20and%20South%20America/Ecuador&res=9C0DE7DC1131F934A25752C1A9649C8B63

Smart Travel Cruise News:

http://www.smartertravel.com

No mention of noro on Celebrity...

"Incidents of the norovirus have increased worldwide in January, both on cruise lines and on land. Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas, Holland America's ms Veendam and ms Ryndam, and Princess' Sun Princess all reported incidents of the norovirus on early January cruises. Although cruise lines have rigorous procedures to sanitize public areas, passengers are encouraged to protect themselves and prevent the spread of the norovirus by washing their hands frequently with soap and warm water and minimizing contact with other cruisers should they fall ill."

Ingrid.

I've had email contact with so many of you, but I've lost track of who is going, when.

Please if you've just returned, any up date that the GI problem is showing signs of abating?

Who's leaving this week. I know there is somebody, because I remember think "Hmm. You be onboard for Valentine's Day."

Bon voyage :D

Kami's Pal,

I checked with my contact in Galapagos to see how widespread the 'turista' is... we have a group trying to plan an itinerary on one of the smaller ships. I have been giving his name out, so thought I'd better check to see if he is okay with that.. here is his response re. the Turista problem... It appears at this time to be a localized outbreak. Let's hope we hear positive trip reports in February. Jen

Hi Jenna

No problem at all, please feel free to encourage all your friends who

are looking for Cruises or Charters in the Galapagos to contact us.

Yes we have heard about the Virus that has reportedly affected

Celeberity Xpeditions, and which does sound as though it is causing a

fair amount of sickness amoungst their passengers. I hear up to 40%.

We have not heard of any Viral problems on any of the other boats to

date.

Thanks, Roland

I have just canceled our Aug trip---What a SHAME!!!!

Celebrity has a gold mine and they dont seem to care--as I have said before the only way to respond is with our $$$!

FRANK

I'm sorry to see you cancelled your trip; despite the illness it really is a fabulous trip. That being said, I do hope you notify Celebrity as to WHY you cancelled your trip. Perhaps that will encourage the company to seriously address the issue.

I have just called Crucon and cancelled this trip!!

We were looking forward to this BUT with the continued presence of SICKNESS on this ship,we cannot take the chance of being ill for 50% of the cruise!!

There doesnt appear to be any great concern over this from Celebrity , so with great remorse we will speak with our $$ and hope if enough people do the same---something will be done!

THANK YOU

ALBERT BOOKE

I have just emailed this to Celebrity!!!

We are leaving tomorrow, have already started the pepto routine. Already know what I am going to do ifn I/we get sick. It will be in the mail to someone...

Wish us luck and happiness.

Will be in contact when we get back.

and please do give us a complete report when you return. We are booked on the 10 day trip beginning August 19th and hope to travel without the turista as a companion! I am hoping to hear a positive review from you and others that precede us. It sounds like a fabulous trip. Have fun.

Marcia :)

My husband and I were on Expedition at Thanksgiving and thought it was the most fasinating trip we had ever taken, and we are fortunate enough to have taken a lot of great trips.

I'm sorry some people have been ill. None of the four of us had a bit of a problem.

Sorry for those feeling they must cancel this trip. IMHO you can get this GI problem anywhere you travel if you are not careful of the water, hand washing, etc. Bugs are everywhere and some are more likely to pick them up than others. My husband and I both have compromised immune systems but we still travel where we want to and take precautions as needed.

Thrpy, have a wonderful trip. It is such a once in a lifetime adventure and you will fall in love with the wildlife. Look forward to your report.

Archived