Should cruise lines include taxes in the base price?

Should more cruise lines include all taxes and fees in the list price?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Should more cruise lines include all taxes and fees in the list price?

• Yes, don't nickel and dime me with hidden fees.
    • Yes, but only if all lines agree to the same pricing structure.
    • Only the luxury lines should do it.
    • No, the higher price would scare me away.
    • No, I like to see the extra charges separated out.
    • Something else -- I'll post below.

I think they should include qratuity in the cost. All cruise lines should include a manatory pre paid gratuity in their prices.

Most lines allow passengers to 'adjust' the gratuity. Therefore, it is not really mandatory. If it is mandatory, it should be included in the cruise fare, and statement, "gratuity included" made in fare qoutes and ads.

When you go to a store, the "tax" isn't included in the price of anything you purchase...why should a cruise be different?

That might be the reason why cruiselines get away with this practice in the States. In my homecountry as well as in other European countries all prices are final prices by law.

Shops, restaurants, hotels, all need to advertise and give final prices.

The steak on the menu is € 9,90 and all you have is € 10 -> fine, order it, no need to calculate anything on top to figure out if you are able to afford it.

I firmly believe, every company should tell its customers upfront what they need to pay. Do not advertise with wonderful low prices just to draw customers attraction and than start to charge.

And not just cruiselines! If any entity charges you for something, if you can't get it without paying a tax, fee, surcharge, processing fee, etc etc, whatever they want to call it, if it is not optional, than INCLUDE it in the price and be done. If the price of "whatever" is $800, plus "taxes and fees" of $200, then the "whatever" costs $1000. If the additional charges ybecause of whatever circumstances, that's one thing and, it could say "plus appriate taxes and fees", but I frequently get mailings that advertise a specific price (for a cruise) and pre printed it says, "plus $200 port taxes and fees". Well, if EVERYONE HAS to pay that $200, then the cost of the cruise is NOT the advertised price. It's that price plus $200 for EVERYONE.

I agree. If you can not have the product without the fees, taxes, etc then put them on the price. Americans should have figured out that much of our current economic woes are because fees/taxes/costs that are required have NOT been included until you sign on the line. Then a second too late you realize how much you owe.

Tips to staff that are "as a courtesy" added to your bill are pretty much required. Myself, I would feel really bad to take the money away from the hard working people who make my vacation so enjoyable. Especially on ships with dine anytime and the newer team approach to the cabin cleaning service I think the fare should include the "tips" and be done with it!

Put the price out there in honesty and I think some people will not go because it seems too high but that is probably the right decision for them. Many people, especially first time cruisers, do not know how to plan for the "real" cost of a cruise. TER of Oceania is correct. Most passengers want to know the "out the door" price.

Not only cruises either. Bought a car this week and took forever to get one simple figure. How much!? More variables than names in the phone book. :p

If cruise lines want to be "honest" about pricing, ALL so called extras should be listed and this would include tipping. Most travelers tip as requested. Most realize this is a pricing ploy to keep a lower dollar quote. Wouldn't it be nice if every cruise line listed ALL costs and ALL freebies (soft drinks etal) when they quote a potential customer. Kind of like buying a car. You can purchase on the merits of the value offered and not "lowest" price.

Taxes are just a "pass through" where the cruise lines collect it on behalf of the governments that impose the taxes. The taxes on a cruise can change anytime prior to the ship setting sail. So the cruise line wouldn't advertise a total that is subject to change after a guest had booked. You won't see taxes included in an advertised fare.

The agency we book through, includes port taxes, but not other taxes. Normally I am not bothered, as that added less than a $100 onto the fare. This next cruise however, we go into the Panama Canal, and the tax is pretty steep. We still booked it, but I would have liked to have known that beforehand.

So, I know now from previous experience, that both Bermuda and the Panama canal, the taxes are steep. I am sure this is true of other destinations, so perhaps it would be nice if this was listed in the original quotes. The agency could just give us a breakdown.

Archived