Told Something Interesting

sea_u_onboard

I was told something interesting and wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this.

Our little group has 3 cabins booked for our upcoming cruise. I recently updated our cabin to a Cat 12 Penthouse suite. My CVS informed me that since we are now in the Penthouse suite we can check in up to 2 more cabins VIP. I asked if I needed to pre-arrange this or just show up with our friends in tow. They said just show up.

We would have gotten VIP regardless of what cabin we selected as we are platinum - but this is the first time we've had a PH suite.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Before someone posts saying how this slows down the process, yahdah yahdah yahdah, this is "supposably" a Carnival policy so if they allow it I'm going to use it.

We've been sailing Platinum since the program was started. We've had suites, but not the Penthouse Suites. We have always been able to get our friends inside the terminal with us with our Platinum status. However, once inside the terminal, they have had to go to the regular lines to check in. It was still so much better for our friends as they were able to bypass the long long line waiting to get inside the terminal.

On our 2/09 Valor cruise, our family had a Cat 12 and 4A interior right across the hall. Our friends who came with us had a Cat 6. We were allowed to get VIP priviliges for our interior, as it was family but our friends were not afforded VIP priviliges. We asked at the terminal in MIami and they confirmed it.

I called him back and he looked through the system and couldn't find it. He knows it "used to be" that way but he is not finding it now. So it appears it is only available to those that have young children in an accompaning cabin.

So I guess I should have called him out on it first before posting. Oh well.

I was told something interesting and wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this.

Our little group has 3 cabins booked for our upcoming cruise. I recently updated our cabin to a Cat 12 Penthouse suite. My CVS informed me that since we are now in the Penthouse suite we can check in up to 2 more cabins VIP. I asked if I needed to pre-arrange this or just show up with our friends in tow. They said just show up.

We would have gotten VIP regardless of what cabin we selected as we are platinum - but this is the first time we've had a PH suite.

Before someone posts saying how this slows down the process, yahdah yahdah yahdah, this is "supposably" a Carnival policy so if they allow it I'm going to use it.

WOW...good Info!!

i am platinum ... nobody else in my group is. we have two cabins. my PVP told me 'as a courtesy to our platinum guests, we allow you to have up to two more cabins check in at the VIP area with you.'

so, it seems as though there's conflicting information .... i'll see what happens when we all try to check in together in january on the dream.

it's not a big deal to me if i have to go to the regular line with the rest of my non-platinum family/friends .... i don't care which line i'm in just so the line i'm in will lead me ON TO THE SHIP! :D

i am platinum ... nobody else in my group is. we have two cabins. my PVP told me 'as a courtesy to our platinum guests, we allow you to have up to two more cabins check in at the VIP area with you.'

so, it seems as though there's conflicting information .... i'll see what happens when we all try to check in together in january on the dream.

it's not a big deal to me if i have to go to the regular line with the rest of my non-platinum family/friends .... i don't care which line i'm in just so the line i'm in will lead me ON TO THE SHIP! :D

DW and I are also Platinum, but I agree with your last sentence. As long as I'm in line to get on the ship, I don't care which line it is. :D

We have used this is when we have our kids in other cabins.

Of course they have to let the kidos check in with you.

My Mom sails with us too. Once the kids had a cabin and my Mom had a cabin. They let all of them check in with us in the VIP lounge. This was Miami Aug. 2008. Dont know if they just didnt want grand-ma to be left all alone or what.... :o

I had VIP and Platinum status and the three other couples traveling with me did not...I went to the VIP check in [where my sail and sign card was] and the others went to the regular check[ where their sail and sign cards were] in...but...the VIP check-in clerk did allow us to all sit together in the #1 section [this was in Tampa] and we all were allowed to board together as a group. Same thing happened in Miami, where they have a dedicated VIP lounge...the 8 of us were allowed to sit together and board the ship together. I just inquired nicely if we could all embark together.

Here is Carnival's official policy.

VIP Check-In Program

Carnival’s VIP Check-In is an exclusive service designed to afford our Platinum guests, Carnival Vacation Club members and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations (categories 11/12/SS), with special registration privileges. Cruise tickets for Platinum guests and those traveling in deluxe accommodations will read, "Please proceed to VIP Check-In". (my comment-this has changed as the tickets no longer say that. Only the Funpass and luggage tags have VIP on them.)

At the time of booking, you will need to instruct the travel agent or direct guest that the guest must ask for “VIP Check-In” upon arrival at the cruise terminal. Embarkation staff will ensure that the guests are expedited through the check-in procedure as quickly as is possible, while providing quality service.

We offer VIP Check-In at ALL embarkation ports.

Note: For those guests traveling with an additional stateroom that does not fall into one of the three categories above, the additional stateroom may check in through the VIP Program only if, 1) there are minor children traveling in the additional stateroom, or 2) the guests in the additional stateroom share the same Sail & Sign account with the qualified VIP guest. (my comment-this would be the only way someone else can share the VIP check-in)

That's not been my experience.

I believe the agent was incorrect.

The documents for those who are NOT VIP are not in the lounge. If the VIP lounge is not busy, they may have time to run around the place looking for documents for your party...but, if they are busy, they won't.

The VIP lounge rarely has more than one person manning the desk and that person won't leave checkin unmanned to round up others' documents.

When I've traveled with non-VIP, I've always checked in with them in the standard way.

Holy conflicting information! :eek:

I had VIP and Platinum status and the three other couples traveling with me did not...I went to the VIP check in [where my sail and sign card was] and the others went to the regular check[ where their sail and sign cards were] in...but...the VIP check-in clerk did allow us to all sit together in the #1 section [this was in Tampa] and we all were allowed to board together as a group. Same thing happened in Miami, where they have a dedicated VIP lounge...the 8 of us were allowed to sit together and board the ship together. I just inquired nicely if we could all embark together.

This is what I'm curious about. If it's allowed we will certainly use it when travelling with my in-laws in April. If not, we'll meet them on the ship. :D

cheryl - If the other two cabins are on your booking then you're OK - otherwise I think not. You've mentioned that you have an experienced PVP - maybe ask him, if he feels that he's correct, to "pre-arrange" VIP boarding/tags/privileges for the other two cabins? ken

cheryl - If the other two cabins are on your booking then you're OK - otherwise I think not. You've mentioned that you have an experienced PVP - maybe ask him, if he feels that he's correct, to "pre-arrange" VIP boarding/tags/privileges for the other two cabins? ken

Already answered that my CVS was incorrect or could not find the info that he had on this.

We will ask nicely (as our reservations are linked). If they won't let us then we will go check in and then wait on them as we all want to board together and get our picture taken together (kind of a tradition to buy the embarkation photo).

Not a big deal - just wanted to know if it was possible. Hey - I'm going on a cruise. As long as I'm on the ship before it sails I'm good.

Here is Carnival's official policy.

VIP Check-In Program

Carnival’s VIP Check-In is an exclusive service designed to afford our Platinum guests, Carnival Vacation Club members and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations (categories 11/12/SS), with special registration privileges. Cruise tickets for Platinum guests and those traveling in deluxe accommodations will read, "Please proceed to VIP Check-In". (my comment-this has changed as the tickets no longer say that. Only the Funpass and luggage tags have VIP on them.)

At the time of booking, you will need to instruct the travel agent or direct guest that the guest must ask for “VIP Check-In” upon arrival at the cruise terminal. Embarkation staff will ensure that the guests are expedited through the check-in procedure as quickly as is possible, while providing quality service.

We offer VIP Check-In at ALL embarkation ports.

Note: For those guests traveling with an additional stateroom that does not fall into one of the three categories above, the additional stateroom may check in through the VIP Program only if, 1) there are minor children traveling in the additional stateroom, or 2) the guests in the additional stateroom share the same Sail & Sign account with the qualified VIP guest. (my comment-this would be the only way someone else can share the VIP check-in)

When I called him to question him to get it in writing the above was all he could find. He apologized A LOT and told me they must have changed the policy. He has worked for Carnival for years and this is how they "used to" do it.

When I called him to question him to get it in writing the above was all he could find. He apologized A LOT and told me they must have changed the policy. He has worked for Carnival for years and this is how they "used to" do it.

They dont have a revision date on the information I can see so I dont know when it changed.

Dave

I was never told this specifically, but when DW and I checked in on the Pride they told my brother to get in the VIP line with us. I know they can allow this but don't really know if it's a policy?

Archived