Do you cruise w/family & friends or cruise to escape from them?

cctn

We do both - there are times when it's nice to celebrate occasions & your family/friends are with you - and then again, it's nice just to be a couple, traveling without companions and being with just each other. Corkey

We agree with Corkey. When we cruise by ourselves, we wish the kids and grandkids were with us. When we take all of them on a cruise, it's fun, but afterwards you think, "maybe we'll just cruise by ourselves next time." Either way, cruising is the best way to vacation. Bon Voyage!

We agree with Corkey. When we cruise by ourselves, we wish the kids and grandkids were with us. When we take all of them on a cruise, it's fun, but afterwards you think, "maybe we'll just cruise by ourselves next time." Either way, cruising is the best way to vacation. Bon Voyage!

I think we do every other cruise as solo's then 'with companions' -- however, we are finding that even if we are with friends/family, we usually do a lot of things by ourselves and meet up a dinner to talk about day. Corkey

We've never cruised with anyone we know....while it would be nice to have folks we're familiar with on the cruise, I would HATE to be "tied" to them in any way. I mean, I love my family, but I love them more at a distance!

We enjoy meeting "strangers" (they're only strangers until you introduce yourselves!!) and talking about/comparing our adventures!

Nope---I'd NEVER invite family on our vacations!

The only time we cruise with family is when my BIL pays for the cruise. Even then I find myself thinking is the free cruise worth spending a week with my BIL.

However for the Oasis next Sept he is paying and bringing his new wife and I really like her so hopefully it will be better this time.

We tell him we are tired and are going to lay down, then when we think its safe we head to a bar for a few alone time drinks.

The only time we cruise with family is when my BIL pays for the cruise. Even then I find myself thinking is the free cruise worth spending a week with my BIL.

However for the Oasis next Sept he is paying and bringing his new wife and I really like her so hopefully it will be better this time.

We tell him we are tired and are going to lay down, then when we think its safe we head to a bar for a few alone time drinks.

That's cute - you made me chuckle but I know what you mean- we have only cruised with my mom (in her late 70's then) and also my SIL. They were ok but they always had to be with us. I like cruising with friends better than family. Corkey

You know, if you paid your own way, you need not scruple to tell BIL that you and your wife need some alone time and he would be fine.

Everyone knows nothing is really free in this life. That is why I would never accept such a gift. I would, however, pay my own way and set down rules. Doing that, ALL of us have a much better time.

We have done this several times-up front we say,"you will see us at dinner, and perhaps we can attend a show together or enjoy a lounge together, but we must have alone time."

True, some friends have not wanted to cruise with us again, but other friends prefer our system. Right now we are planning a cruse in the med in 2 years, with friends that we have cruised with twice before.

Something tells me if your BIL reads these boards, he is going to be upset with you. I doubt he will invite you again. You would be surprised at who reads these boards.

You are right MomofMeg - hope the BIL doesn't read the CC threads!

I would only accept a free cruise if the person and I got along real well - and then I WOULD TREAT that person to another cruise so that we can be even.

I think it's nice to be with friends but NOT glued to each other for every second of the cruise. I do enjoy going on tours with friends; mostly, I love having dinner with them. But inbetween, they can also do what they want to do so that WE do not get on their nerves. Corkey

You are right MomofMeg - hope the BIL doesn't read the CC threads!

I would only accept a free cruise if the person and I got along real well - and then I WOULD TREAT that person to another cruise so that we can be even.

I think it's nice to be with friends but NOT glued to each other for every second of the cruise. I do enjoy going on tours with friends; mostly, I love having dinner with them. But inbetween, they can also do what they want to do so that WE do not get on their nerves. Corkey

Some people want to "buy" your friendship simply because they don't have many friends, so they think they must. I would never accept one from someone like that. If I half way liked them, I may pay my own way and set down the rules-we will see them at dinner, but we may not see them at the show. We will only do excursions we are interested in doing-we do not have to be joined at the hip.

Now back when hubby and I did not have 2 pennies to rub against each other, my mom would alternate taking us, or my younger sister and her husband on her time share. So we got to go every other year. But Mom valued her own alone time-so she never expected us to be with her constantly. She was never bent out of shape if we wanted to take an hour just the 2 of us or got out to eat for some couple time. In fact she would babysit so we could be just the 2 of us. We would leave our daughter with her. But then the next day, if she wanted to shop instead of lay on the beach, as I wanted, I would still go shopping with her while my hubby and daughter played on the beach. Compromise was the name of the game, sometimes you do what they want, sometimes you do what you want. Overall it worked out-and it was nice that because of Mom, we could take a fairly nice vacation. Good ole Mom! I miss her.

If she was still around, I would buy her a cruise-I can now afford to do it.

well, but the memories and how much you appreciate those times... and can you buy a cruise for someone else in your family? kids?

we were not blessed with kids but there a several members whom I would be glad to treat - trying to working it now. it'll make me happy to see them enjoy a cruise for the first time. Corkey

well, but the memories and how much you appreciate those times... and can you buy a cruise for someone else in your family? kids?

we were not blessed with kids but there a several members whom I would be glad to treat - trying to working it now. it'll make me happy to see them enjoy a cruise for the first time. Corkey

Oh yes- we have spoiled our daughter rotten. She does pay her way now-at 25-but we let her just pay the third person rate-so we still help her out a lot. We took her to France this summer-she paid abut a third of what her cost was-Dad paid the rest!

Hubby has paid my MIL's way-but she is not into cruising-and we can't get her to go anymore!

Sometimes we sail w/the kids, sometimes w/parents and sometimes alone. All are great in different ways. I am EXTREMELY BLESSED w/my husband's parents. They are the perfect traveling companions and unfortunately they won't be around forever. Sometimes we all want to do the same excursions and sometimes we do different, no one gets their feelings hurt. Some trips we see them alot and some, not so much.

Sea days, I am alone in the sun...not really sure what everyone else does. I love being alone w/my husband and those cruises are very special. But, I love family as well. The kids are getting old enough (youngest 16) now that we even get alone time when they are w/us.

Haven't really sailed w/friends, that might get a little stressful :confused:

Sometimes we sail w/the kids, sometimes w/parents and sometimes alone. All are great in different ways. I am EXTREMELY BLESSED w/my husband's parents. They are the perfect traveling companions and unfortunately they won't be around forever. Sometimes we all want to do the same excursions and sometimes we do different, no one gets their feelings hurt. Some trips we see them alot and some, not so much.

Sea days, I am alone in the sun...not really sure what everyone else does. I love being alone w/my husband and those cruises are very special. But, I love family as well. The kids are getting old enough (youngest 16) now that we even get alone time when they are w/us.

Haven't really sailed w/friends, that might get a little stressful :confused:

Your family sounds ideal to sail with - we did one with my sis-in-law and she was perfect to be with too - i just think a cruise is for everyone to do what they want to do - I am just happy when we all gather for dinner so that we can share the adventures we had during the day, especially if they were different experiences. Corkey

Wow Carol, you're everywhere!

DH doesn't like to cruise (he's been on 3, #4 next June) so I cruise with GFs. I let them know from the start that we can do alot together and will certainly have dinner together, but we are not joined at the hip.

Wow Carol, you're everywhere!

DH doesn't like to cruise (he's been on 3, #4 next June) so I cruise with GFs. I let them know from the start that we can do alot together and will certainly have dinner together, but we are not joined at the hip.

Yeah - I get around - ha!ha! I know most of the folks on these threads and I have cruised with many of them! ...like I know YOU!

carol

Hi Corkey!

We have been on five cruises so far, and all have been with family and/or friends. Our sixth cruise, May 2010, will be our first "solo" cruise so I'm not yet sure which I prefer...

(zstell, I love Zac Brown Band)

You will probably like BOTH - when we are alone, we always say, wish so and so were with us - - and when we are with tons of friends/family, we always want to be alone!

but it kinda' works out either way= we really do enjoy ourselves no matter what.

you just have to know to lay down some rules, like you guys do what you want cuz it's your vacation too; vice versa.

I gues you just know when you need a solo cruise and when you want to have company.

corkey Carol

we usually go with hubbys child-hood fren and his wife, but last 2 on our own...we MISS them, but its just as FUN with the two of us!

we call them and let them know we are standing in the buffet line (embarktion)--they do the same when they cruise without us:Dand we do find ourselves saying oh he would like this or she would have wanted to see this;)hopefully in the future we will be cruisin with our frens again;)

but we ENJOY OUR TIME too!!

we usually go with hubbys child-hood fren and his wife, but last 2 on our own...we MISS them, but its just as FUN with the two of us!

we call them and let them know we are standing in the buffet line (embarktion)--they do the same when they cruise without us:Dand we do find ourselves saying oh he would like this or she would have wanted to see this;)hopefully in the future we will be cruisin with our frens again;)

but we ENJOY OUR TIME too!!

Sounds cute Jan - we do that too, I call my friends when I get on board and tell them everything up to that point. When we are having fun, we always think of our friends who are not with us. But when they are with us, and they say things that are wierd, hubby and I give each other the look like, do they have to be with us! heehee!! carol

Sounds cute Jan - we do that too, I call my friends when I get on board and tell them everything up to that point. When we are having fun, we always think of our friends who are not with us. But when they are with us, and they say things that are wierd, hubby and I give each other the look like, do they have to be with us! heehee!! carol

We do that too. We do not call anyone while the ship is at sea though. We would only do that in an emergency. We do send postcards-that is enough!

We do that too. We do not call anyone while the ship is at sea though. We would only do that in an emergency. We do send postcards-that is enough!

I only call when we are still at port - when they do not charge me for being at sea! ha!ha! I stopped sending postcards but I do buy them - and from time to time, I will send them out telling my friends I am NOT here but WAS here -- well, I love collecting postcards so i buy them wherever I am on vacation.

Carol

Archived