What's the best way to relieve stress on a cruise?

I think the best way to relieve stress on a cruise is _____. (Choose all that apply.)  

641 members have voted

1. 1. I think the best way to relieve stress on a cruise is _____. (Choose all that apply.)

• Treating myself to a day at the spa
    • Letting off steam in the fitness center
    • Eating a nice big meal -- with no guilt over calories!
    • Dropping my children off at the kids' club
    • Singing karaoke (after a few cocktails)
    • Sleeping in, especially on sea days
    • Reading a good book on my balcony
    • Doing something adventurous in port
    • Chilling out by the pool or on the beach
    • Doing ... absolutely ... nothing!
    • Something else (which I'll post)

Do not pretend that you are irreplaceable by staying in touch with your office (or even family). If your job is not really important, your being out of touch will not matter. If you are ireally irreplaceable, you are letting down your team by not training and retaining competent back-up (what if you were hit by a bus and were in a coma for a week?)

Stay out of touch with the land - that is why you cruise - spend a few minutes every morning watching the sea end at the horizon -- that will put anyone's sense of self-importance into proper perspective.

Thank you.

People hate when I trot out the ole 'hit by a bus' scenario, but it's true. I take real vacations, disengaging from all the land drama. If something happens at the office, well, it will either wait or get handled.

Of course, I am an employee, not owner nor CEO. If I were paid enuf to be guaranteed instantly reachable, could be another matter (depending on how often they reach me!) but as a mgmt peon, eh, let it ride.

When I make that first step onboard, I feel like my entire disposition changes. I breathe a sigh of relief to be "home" again. I'm just simply a water-baby and I cannot think of anywhere else I'd rather be than at sea. The stress just floats away.

I do love treating myself to some spa services, my favorite being the hot stone full body massage for 2 hours, but it seems that I inevitably schedule it when there's no time to relax afterward before rushing to meet someone or get ready for dinner, etc. On my next cruise I vow to plan better and make that relaxing time last as long as possible.

Reading the posts on this thread has made me close my eyes and just dream about sitting on my balcony with a good book and a nice glass of wine in my hand. I look over and my dh is on his chair sound asleep for the first of his many shipboard naps. I find there is nothing comparable to a cruise for relaxing from the everyday stresses of life. I find that I am relaxed on a cruise ship because I am not allowed to work!

We don't wait until we reach our ship to destress. We start our stress free vacation the moment our car has left our driveway headed to the airport(or preflight hotel room by the airport the night before we fly to our port city). Once we are on the road we figure all the planning and decision making has been done and whatever is going to happen is going to happen and we refuse allow any stress to invade our vacation time. Patience and our sense of humor are our best friends while on vacation.

We know that someday we will retire and the places we work will continue on just fine without us so they certainly can do so while we are on vacation for a week or two even if they didn't always think so. We have a plan in place for those at home to let us know if we need to contact them, other wise we're on vacation and find no need to stay in touch for the relatively short week or two we're gone.

We enjoy every minute of our stress free cruises. We enjoy ourselves laying in the sun, eating too much, meeting new people, enjoying our foo foo drinks and visiting wonderful ports.

Real life with all its stress will still be waiting for us when we return and continue until our next cruise when we'll once again enjoy a totally stress free vacation.:)

I don't seem to remember I experienced stress on this cruise. I did my first cruise this year september, and I've never felt so good coming back from a holiday. I was totally stress free, so it seems cruising itself is a great way to relieve stress. Can I have more please???? :D

Cindy

Sometimes I don't like to get off in port and just stay on the ship and find something to do by myself.

Sometimes I have the whole place to myself since everyone else got off.

Yep..... nothing like a whole ship of people getting off, it's so calm and relaxing afterwards.

We're both fortunate enough that we don't have to really think about our jobs when we are on vacation. Sometimes we talk about it a bit, then I remember we really need to leave it behind. For those who have to check in, or contact clients when away, it really isn't a vacation for you and I'm with others saying that you need to disengage, even just for a few days of the trip. Make yourself totally unavailable.

I love to read on a cruise as I get little time for that at home. I visit the library when everyone else is setting up spa appointments and checking their dining room table. Sitting on the balcony, staring at sea is another favorite activity. Naps are high on our list.

We've also learned to not make the travel to and from stressful and allow plenty of time on both ends of the cruise to get to where we need to be.

Our first 3 cruises we flew in the day of the cruise and the stress just melted away when I had my first sip of champagne as we walked on board! The cruise in April we are flying in a day early and I anticipate that the stress will start to disappear when we get to our hotel in San Juan. I know the stress will totally disappear when I get that first sip on champagne!

Once my luggage has arrived in my cabin I don't feel any stress again until I'm at the airport going home. I've cruised 12 times now and find it my vacation of choice. I am amazed at how easy it is to just disengage from the outside world. I don't check emails, phone messages, listen to the news - none of those things on a cruise. It is like I'm in another world. I absoulutely love it and the only things that cross my mind are related to the cruise I am currently on. :):):):):):)

Archived