New credit card policy

pinkbirds02

With how many times this subject is being brought up lately, I'm going to say yes, it is a problem for some people. I agree, I have numerous cards that I could use, but not everyone is in that situation.

If it were a problem for me, I'd seriously think twice about taking the cruise.

We budget all the expenses into our trip - time off (for which DH is not paid), pet-lodging for two dogs, airfare, airport parking, hotels, shore excursions, incidentals, wine/liquor, additional tips, taxi's, onboard expenses.. etc., etc. and I have a hard time believing others don't do this as well. :)

At the end of the day, if we can't afford all those things - we'd opt out for the time being and would plan further out.

They could do it the way every other cruise line does it. Put the hold on for what is being spent not what they assume is being spent. All the others don't seem to have a problem doing this and this conversation doesn't take place on the other boards. Totally agree they should be protected but HAL is alone is this policy.

Well, it doesn't really matter how other companies handle it ... the $60/day/person is HAL's policy, and they have the right to make and enforce such policies, as long as they are legal. For those who aren't pleased ... well, isn't it nice to know they have other options? No one is forcing anyone to sail HAL if they can't stomach the line's policies.

So, for the lines that put a hold, daily or so, based on one's spending ... what happens if the spending and hold for a couple of days is acceptable to the card issuer and on the next day the passenger splurges and hits the credit wall? Do they make them walk the plank?

Just received our documents for upcoming cruise...What's the deal with the new credit card policy of charging $60 a day per person ? They say it's a "hold" ...but how does it work? Is the "hold" amount $420 per cabin for a 7 day cruise or is it a double "hold" per cabin? Let us know. I don't like that they are assuming you are going to spend at least $60/day per person. Thanks for any info you can give.

LOL, I jumped online as soon as I finished my online check in and came across it then. I called HAL, and a lady TRIED to explain it to me, but I was still too schtoopid to understand...so I came here to ask.

The good people here explained it to me too...and also told me that it's been discussed here many times. Unfortunately, when a person comes across it the first time and it seems pretty important a person (me) didn't feel I had the time to go through months of posts to find it. I searched for "credit card policies" and didn't find the explanation either.

1. They say it's not new

2. They say it's like an authorization that's put on your CC in case you run up a bill and apparently might not have enough left on your CC to pay your bill.

3. They will only use the amount they're "holding" at the end of the cruise and will only charge your card what you use. If you only use $500 of the $1600 your card will not be charged the remainder.

4. If I'm STILL wrong about this...I think someone will be kind enough to explain it to me again...at a 4th grade level so I CAN understand it. LOL :)

This has been discussed ad nauseum on these boards.

It is a hold, not a charge. At the end of the cruise, they will remove that as they charge what you actually spent.

This is the part I still don't understand. What if I spend MORE than that on my card? Am I limited to the amount they put on hold? I use AMEX Platinum and I have no limit.:confused:

LOL, I jumped online as soon as I finished my online check in and came across it then. I called HAL, and a lady TRIED to explain it to me, but I was still too schtoopid to understand...so I came here to ask.

The good people here explained it to me too...and also told me that it's been discussed here many times. Unfortunately, when a person comes across it the first time and it seems pretty important a person (me) didn't feel I had the time to go through months of posts to find it. I searched for "credit card policies" and didn't find the explanation either.

1. They say it's not new

2. They say it's like an authorization that's put on your CC in case you run up a bill and apparently might not have enough left on your CC to pay your bill.

3. They will only use the amount they're "holding" at the end of the cruise and will only charge your card what you use. If you only use $500 of the $1600 your card will not be charged the remainder.

4. If I'm STILL wrong about this...I think someone will be kind enough to explain it to me again...at a 4th grade level so I CAN understand it. LOL :)

I think you've got it covered. But ... let's say if they hold $1,600 and you use $500 you might need $2,100 room on your card. Rarely does a company actually use the hold that they put on unless they have to, they just run the amount and the $1,600 hold will drop off in a couple of days..7 day max usually.

This is the part I still don't understand. What if I spend MORE than that on my card? Am I limited to the amount they put on hold? I use AMEX Platinum and I have no limit.:confused:

Not a problem. The hold is just to basically prove you have sufficient credit. HAL knows an AMEX card is pretty much open ended. I guess if they saw you hitting the ceiling they could always reauthorize but I doubt that happens and if so probably not very often.

Not a problem. The hold is just to basically prove you have sufficient credit. HAL knows an AMEX card is pretty much open ended. I guess if they saw you hitting the ceiling they could always reauthorize but I doubt that happens and if so probably not very often.

I'll probably go over the limit in a day in the jewelry shop alone.

It is meaningless to many of us.... a "pre-authorized hold" is merely a "ding" to make sure the car will accomodate the charge. It's usually released within 72-hrs by most card companies unless an ACTUAL charge is pending...

One word of advice with Amex - I'd let them know you are cruising and they can expect to see the charge. Amex is finicky about loss these days and if cruising is not something you've done lately, they may flag the card for fraud. I have gotten more calls regarding my Amex charges than any other lately... doesn't matter if you have the Black, Platinum, Gold, Green card... they're checking for fraud - and may deny the charge.

If you are not home to receive their anti-fraud phone call, you may be out of luck. :(

It is meaningless to many of us.... a "pre-authorized hold" is merely a "ding" to make sure the car will accomodate the charge. It's usually released within 72-hrs by most card companies unless an ACTUAL charge is pending...

One word of advice with Amex - I'd let them know you are cruising and they can expect to see the charge. Amex is finicky about loss these days and if cruising is not something you've done lately, they may flag the card for fraud. I have gotten more calls regarding my Amex charges than any other lately... doesn't matter if you have the Black, Platinum, Gold, Green card... they're checking for fraud - and may deny the charge.

If you are not home to receive their anti-fraud phone call, you may be out of luck. :(

I booked the cruise through AMEX. But you are correct...they are VERY good about checking with me about unusual charges.

Actually, since we'll be in the Med for our next cruise and obviously some places we don't typically frequent, I was going to call AMEX and tell them we'd be traveling. They should pick up on it since I'll "wash" the final payment through them but that will be months before the cruise so the connection might not be made. Haven't done that with our Caribbean cruises but I will this time. :)

Ok, I have a few questions, hoping someone can answer them for me:

1. do they put the hold of $60 on children as well ? ( 5 and 6 year olds)

2. My 5 and 6 year olds will not be charging anything..how do I do this so they do not have active cards?

3. Can you check in online without a credit card?

4. If I check in with a credit card and I only want say $1000 limit, how do I get this done?

I dont use credit cards very much and I dont typically carry much cash. If I bring a card with a smalll $2000 limit and they put $60 pp x 4 thats $1800 and that leaves me with no room to purchase anything else and then I am forced to bring more cash with me than I would like.

Typically we spend about $800 on a 7 day cruise, and no, never had Princess do $60 pp per day.

Thanks in advance for your help

Actually, since we'll be in the Med for our next cruise and obviously some places we don't typically frequent, I was going to call AMEX and tell them we'd be traveling. They should pick up on it since I'll "wash" the final payment through them but that will be months before the cruise so the connection might not be made. Haven't done that with our Caribbean cruises but I will this time. :)

This was the first time I ever booked with AMEX travel concierge service. They did a really good job and the price was right. I'll use them again.

Next year we want to do a land vacation and Med cruise and then come back on the Noordam from Italy to FLL.

This was the first time I ever booked with AMEX travel concierge service. They did a really good job and the price was right. I'll use them again.

Next year we want to do a land vacation and Med cruise and then come back on the Noordam from Italy to FLL.

The concierge is really good, imo. :)

Just let Amex know you are cruising. I was purchasing first-class airfare using my platinum and the charge would not go through due to the high dollar amount - the Amex agent put it through and told me they are really looking at high dollar charges to avoid fraud, especially with travel. I've been an Amex customer since 1987 and this year has been the first year we've gotten phone calls asking us to verify charges...

In the meantime we're enrolled in the AMEX Rewards program so we should see some nice points build up. :D I have had AMEX call me about a charge but that wasn't recently. My card goes back to 1968 so I have a few years with them.

In the meantime we're enrolled in the AMEX Rewards program so we should see some nice points build up. :D I have had AMEX call me about a charge but that wasn't recently. My card goes back to 1968 so I have a few years with them.

I don't use mine all that much - usually for airfare and definitely for car rentals... haven't had a call lately, thinking about it, they were at the begining of the year - more when the credit crisis was in full swing.

But again, we don't usually use it for high dollar amounts... I like my Amazon VISA for those, lol! Bought my little sister and my niece Kindle's usings my VISA rewards...:)

They have a right to do as they please. Not all cruise lines do business this way. I have never had this much held out on Royal. This is Royal's response to the question.

"During check-in, your credit card will be verified as an active card. Each evening, if purchases were made throughout the day, your bank will put a hold for the amount charged. At the end of the cruise, the bank will put through the charges incurred."

This seems a more logical and fair process. JMHO

That's exactly what Princess does. HAL is the only line that I've been able to find that holds a set amount per person per day. Very strange! Should be based on what you spend, not what they think you'll spend.

Both of you insist that the way RCCL & Princess handle their holds is the absolute best way..However not everyone agrees with you ....

Suggest you take a look at the Celebrity board & read posts no. 10 & 11..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=14652&highlight=credit+card+holds

Not only were the holds put on their accounts as they charged, but when the final invoice came up for payment their cards were refused as their holds reduced their credit card limits..

So no one can prove which is the best way for the Cruise Line to handle your accounts..Each Cruise Line must do what they have to do in order to be paid..Hotels, Resorts, Car Rental Agencies have been doing this for years, but they don't tell you about it..At least HAL is up-front with what they are doing..

Personally, I have no problem with the Holds as we have a very high limit on our cards..

Betty

Dwillis & Cruise Junky...It looks like Princess does put a hold on your Credit Card, but it looks like many don't know about it..According to Poster No. 28 he called Princess & was told they put a $300 per person hold on all credit cards for every cruise..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=812216&highlight=credit+card+holds&page=2

That's about $42.00 per person on a 7 day cruise..

Betty

Ok, I have a few questions, hoping someone can answer them for me:

1. do they put the hold of $60 on children as well ? ( 5 and 6 year olds)

2. My 5 and 6 year olds will not be charging anything..how do I do this so they do not have active cards?

3. Can you check in online without a credit card?

4. If I check in with a credit card and I only want say $1000 limit, how do I get this done?

I dont use credit cards very much and I dont typically carry much cash. If I bring a card with a smalll $2000 limit and they put $60 pp x 4 thats $1800 and that leaves me with no room to purchase anything else and then I am forced to bring more cash with me than I would like.

Typically we spend about $800 on a 7 day cruise, and no, never had Princess do $60 pp per day.

Thanks in advance for your help

I wouldn't bring a card with such a small credit limit. You never know what will happen when you travel and those holds do eat up alot of available credit.

We can't solve everybody's situation. Some don't have or want credit cards. Some have not been as fortunate as others and don't have the resources. There are probably more variations than can be easily listed here. Every traveler, or in this case cruiser, has to figure out how they're going to handle on-board charges. Certainly HAL, and the other lines for that matter, have dealt with this situation before. The answer may be a debit card or a cash deposit or whatever. There is no "one size fits all" solution and what works for one may not work or be acceptable for another. It's not a matter of right or wrong.

Both of you insist that the way RCCL & Princess handle their holds is the absolute best way..However not everyone agrees with you ....

Suggest you take a look at the Celebrity board & read posts no. 10 & 11..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=14652&highlight=credit+card+holds

Not only were the holds put on their accounts as they charged, but when the final invoice came up for payment their cards were refused as their holds reduced their credit card limits..

So no one can prove which is the best way for the Cruise Line to handle your accounts..Each Cruise Line must do what they have to do in order to be paid..Hotels, Resorts, Car Rental Agencies have been doing this for years, but they don't tell you about it..At least HAL is up-front with what they are doing..

Personally, I have no problem with the Holds as we have a very high limit on our cards..

Betty

Can't speak for everyone else, as I stated this is my opinion. I work at the bank and the credit card I use is from my bank. I monitor that card faithfully, and I can tell you that in the last four cruises with RCCL the policy I mentioned above is exactly how they handled my account. Charging for what is spent not tying up your account for what might be spent. Maybe HAL has more problems with their customers, I don't know, to each their own, as I said they have every right to do as they please. By the way I never insisted that this was the best way, simply answering the charge that all cruise lines and businesses do it, that is incorrect. At least not to this level.

Dwillis & Cruise Junky...It looks like Princess does put a hold on your Credit Card, but it looks like many don't know about it..According to Poster No. 28 he called Princess & was told they put a $300 per person hold on all credit cards for every cruise..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=812216&highlight=credit+card+holds&page=2

That's about $42.00 per person on a 7 day cruise..

Betty

Princess didn't do that on my B2B last month. I checked. We've always been told, and it has always worked out this way, that Princess puts a hold for what you're spending. They do put an initial small hold to make sure the card is good. There was a thread the other day how someone was watching their card on Princess and there was a hold going through approx. every 2nd day. And let's face it, just because customer service tells you something, it usually has no bearing on reality.

Archived