New credit card policy

pinkbirds02

Please don't assume you know how we all live! this If we did not have a high limit credit card, then we would either pay cash for our on-board account, which you can do too, or else we would not go on a cruise..As Randy so elequently stated everyone's finances are different, its how each one of us handles it that counts..But you can;'t expect HAL to change their policy because you don't have a high limit card..AS Phillip & Bruce Muzz state (cruise line management employees) Hal was forced to do it this way, due to 10% of those who cruise, can't really afford it!

And thats my 2 cents..

Cheers.....:) Betty

Hi Betty,

I think People should be allowed to pick what they want their credit limit to be and back it up with a credit card hold or cash...this would easily solve HAL's problem and no one would ever walk away without paying their bill. It would take a HAL techie a very short time to add the option to the online check in website. Of course the minimum limit would have to include grats, but the rest should be up to the customer....easy solution and everyone wins!!!;) Other crusie lines have the same problem and do not charge the $60 pppd hold..it's lower. Either way, they should never allow anyone to purchase more than they either have on cc hold or have backed up with cash..it's common sense. Problem solved:p

wow. some people don't use credit. i operate om a cash-only basis. grandpa always said "if you don't have the cash for it, you don't need it". he died a very wealthy man.

I have gotten 1,000's worth of free flights paying by credit card, not to mention very good records of our spending. We do pay cash in some places, such as Europe since the tour guides want cash, and hotels give a discount. But in the US I even pay my property taxes by CC.

I dont use credit cards very much and I dont typically carry much cash. If I bring a card with a smalll $2000 limit and they put $60 pp x 4 thats $1800 and that leaves me with no room to purchase anything else and then I am forced to bring more cash with me than I would like.

Typically we spend about $800 on a 7 day cruise, and no, never had Princess do $60 pp per day.

Thanks in advance for your help

I don't suggest you travel with such a small limit. What if you have to fly home for an emergency? Even with travel insurance you need to pay and get reimbursed later. Not a good idea.

Ok, I have a few questions, hoping someone can answer them for me:

1. do they put the hold of $60 on children as well ? ( 5 and 6 year olds)

2. My 5 and 6 year olds will not be charging anything..how do I do this so they do not have active cards?

3. Can you check in online without a credit card?

4. If I check in with a credit card and I only want say $1000 limit, how do I get this done?

I hope I do answer these correctly, this is what I think can happen.

1. They do put a hold on the kids as well if they are covered under you.

2. However, don't tick their names on the link to CC and they won't have the hold. They also won't be able to use their cards unless you link them or put some cash on them.

3. Yes you can checkin without a card, but I believe they will want a cash or travelers check deposit.

4. Don't know.

We sailed last Dec with our then 11y/o and my total hold was supposed to $180 per day for the three of us (x 17, so $3060). I never actually checked to see if it happened because it wasn't an issue for me.

Ok, I have a few questions, hoping someone can answer them for me:

1. do they put the hold of $60 on children as well ? ( 5 and 6 year olds)

2. My 5 and 6 year olds will not be charging anything..how do I do this so they do not have active cards?

3. Can you check in online without a credit card?

4. If I check in with a credit card and I only want say $1000 limit, how do I get this done?

I dont use credit cards very much and I dont typically carry much cash. If I bring a card with a smalll $2000 limit and they put $60 pp x 4 thats $1800 and that leaves me with no room to purchase anything else and then I am forced to bring more cash with me than I would like.

Typically we spend about $800 on a 7 day cruise, and no, never had Princess do $60 pp per day.

Thanks in advance for your help

We are travelling with 2 children and I wasn't keen on the large hold for 2 weeks, and didn't want fees from my bank because we exceeded our credit limit. Speaking of HAL, just had a phone call from my TA and she thought it was tacky that HAL don't issue any documents of any description, she said P&O here in Australia do, and they are a lesser class cruiseline.

I opted for cash, as we will take US case with us. But here is what HAL sent me:

We are very aware of the situation when it comes to the hold amount that is suggested on the on line check in and there is a simple procedure that we recommend. On the on line check in for the children you can select the option of using ?cash on board? this way the hold amount will not be held for them on the first day of your cruise. After you have checked in you can go to the front desk to advise them that the children will not be making any purchases on board and to have their accounts closed and they will assist you accordingly.

Hi Betty,

I think People should be allowed to pick what they want their credit limit to be and back it up with a credit card hold or cash...this would easily solve HAL's problem and no one would ever walk away without paying their bill. It would take a HAL techie a very short time to add the option to the online check in website. Of course the minimum limit would have to include grats, but the rest should be up to the customer....easy solution and everyone wins!!!;) Other crusie lines have the same problem and do not charge the $60 pppd hold..it's lower. Either way, they should never allow anyone to purchase more than they either have on cc hold or have backed up with cash..it's common sense. Problem solved:p

I don't disagree with you, however that is exactly the way it's done on HAL..You don't have to put a credit card down...You can put cash down instead & specify the limit...All you have to do is go to the purser with lets say $500 for two people...However as soon as that $500 which includes grat's is used up, your on-n board card will be deactivated for purchases of any kind on board until you put more cash into your account..I believe you can even negotiate a lower hold amount...

If you decide to do it that way, also believe you still can complete your on-line check in & l print your docs without the Credit card info...Then you would inform them at check-in what you plan to do..You can even Pre-purchase OBC's for your account...Believe it's 7 days prior, to cruise departure to purchase OBC's..

Cheers...:)Betty

-

Bottom line, it is high, if you dont want to have them put it on your credit card, you dont have to, they have other options and you can set your own limit.

HAL is a Buisiness. They have had problems with people not paying, and if I were them I would put a hold as hotels and car rentals do too.

I would like to point out, however, that for those members who have encouraged people to call their credit card companies and ask for a credit line increase on the basis of the fact that so and so is going on a cruise might remember that in this economy that might be easier said then done. Many thousands of even credit worthy people have seen their credit lines slashed without warning.

And people with great credit (over 800 FICO) are getting hit too. I just had a store card with Citibank increased to a 25.99% credit limit and some crazy late payment fee. I called and was told everyone with the card no matter their credit score was getting this rate. Now I only use this card for the discount and pay in full but don't like the idea should a payment get lost in the mail. I'm used to getting offers on a weekly basis with 0% interest rates for the first 6 months etc.

This is because of people not paying their bills.

Let me guess, Jade........ :) Macy's?

I use our card when I purchase in order to use the discount coupons and then immediately write a check and pay that amount to the sales person. She gives me the register receipt for the payment and the receipt for the purchase and I don't have to worry about getting a bill but have gotten the discount.

Seems dumb to me but they will not allow use of the discount coupon unless you use the charge card but they will accept my check payment immediately after the sale. :rolleyes:

So we are playing the "what if " game?

Well Peter, what if you lost your credit card and you lost your phone and you lost your memory and and and???? This could go on forever, but it would make an interesting game, perhaps a new thread on how to handle emergencies is in order.

This thread was about the $60 per person per day hold, which is very high considering other cruise line policies, and the fact that they were including children in there too.

Bottom line, it is high, if you dont want to have them put it on your credit card, you dont have to, they have other options and you can set your own limit.

Emergencies are just that, you deal with them when they happen, and hopefully you have the funds to do it, or really good cruise insurance:D

Bruce, some people save for years to afford a cruise, others go on a whim. So your saying that you dont think that someone who has saved for years to go on a cruise should go becuase they may not have a high limit credit card, or they dont feel they should put the $60 pp pd down since they will not be spending that amount, or maybe they did not budget for it.

Clearly the $60 hold was an issue for some, otherwise this thread would never have been started.

I may have credit cards and cash available, but just because I have it does not mean I have to agree with HAL's hold policy. I also may have the means to cruise "comfortably" as you put it, but there are those that do not and it does not mean they should not cruise. They should be able to set the limit they have budgeted for and be comfortable with. It irks me that HAL has such a large hold policy, highest anyone has mentioned on the boards so far. Perhaps I am a rebel, I dont like someone telling me that they are holding x amount just in case i spend it..it bothers me. Never bothered me on any other princess cruises, but i never asked what they held and didnt notice it. I have no problem with them holding the grats, and whatever limit I ask for.

There are people from all income brackets on cruises, not everyone will be cruise snobs

Wow...Now because we suggest getting a higher limit card we are cruise snobs!:mad:

You mention good cruise insurance..Have you ever read your insurance policy? If a medical emergency occurs with your DH, a child, or even yourself your insurance does not automatically kick in...

Having been abroad & having cruised a great deal, I've seen young families which had to pay for Medical treatments in foreign countries..It's also possible that your parents might have a serious Medical emergency which would require you & your entire family to disembark & fly home immediately..

My own 18 yr old Grand-daughter had a ruptured appendix in Canada, several years ago..Her Mother had to pay all her Medical expenses up front & did not get reimbursed until they got home..

You will be required to pay all those expenses up front & get reimbursed by the Insurance Company later.. If you prefer to carry that much cash or even take a chance with a low limit card that is your choice...But please don't say you have not been warned or that we are "Cruise Snobs"..:mad:

Betty

I don't suggest you travel with such a small limit. What if you have to fly home for an emergency? Even with travel insurance you need to pay and get reimbursed later. Not a good idea.

Excellent point Jade13.

Walk up air fare would be substantial.

Rome to Chicago-tomorrow-one way- $2100.00 usc on UAL.

Higher limits on your CC when traveling is a must.

Rich

My parents never "believed" in having a credit card, until one day the air traffic controllers walked out, as I was trying to leave by plane. My mother kept saying "what are you going to DO? what are you going to DO?" as planes were being diverted all over the country. I just said "I have my Chargex*, don't worry -- I'll get a hotel room if I have to". Once THEY got home (via motorhome) they immediately applied for a Chargex* card, for travel emergencies.

* For those too young to remember, Chargex is what Visa was called back in the Dark Ages :)

Remember 9-11 and how people were stranded for days as no planes came into U.S. for days. What would you do if you were not able to come home as scheduled for whatever reason?

Don't say it doesn't happen. It did happen!

Bruce, some people save for years to afford a cruise, others go on a whim. So your saying that you dont think that someone who has saved for years to go on a cruise should go becuase they may not have a high limit credit card, or they dont feel they should put the $60 pp pd down since they will not be spending that amount, or maybe they did not budget for it.

Clearly the $60 hold was an issue for some, otherwise this thread would never have been started.

I may have credit cards and cash available, but just because I have it does not mean I have to agree with HAL's hold policy. I also may have the means to cruise "comfortably" as you put it, but there are those that do not and it does not mean they should not cruise. They should be able to set the limit they have budgeted for and be comfortable with. It irks me that HAL has such a large hold policy, highest anyone has mentioned on the boards so far. Perhaps I am a rebel, I dont like someone telling me that they are holding x amount just in case i spend it..it bothers me. Never bothered me on any other princess cruises, but i never asked what they held and didnt notice it. I have no problem with them holding the grats, and whatever limit I ask for.

There are people from all income brackets on cruises, not everyone will be cruise snobs

Well, you can always sail with other those cruise lines. :rolleyes:

Betty,

You make an excellent point. Even if you have travel insurance, it's on a reimbursement basis. You pay upfront and get reimbursed after you submit a claim. And Sail mentioned 9-11 when people all over the world were stranded.

It has nothing to do with being a cruise snob, it has to do with being prepared to deal with unexpected expenses.

Roz

Betty,

You make an excellent point. Even if you have travel insurance, it's on a reimbursement basis. You pay upfront and get reimbursed after you submit a claim. And Sail mentioned 9-11 when people all over the world were stranded.

It has nothing to do with being a cruise snob, it has to do with being prepared to deal with unexpected expenses.

Roz

You could have an emergency anytime anyplace, and have to deal with it. It could be in your own house or at your workplace, emergencies dont just happen on vacations. You should always be prepared. But this thread was about the $60 pp hold per day. Lets say your travelling with 6 kids, well then the $60 pp hold per day is much too high. Most of you are travelling in parties of 2, so it's relly not such a big deal.

Perhaps we should start a thread on emergencies that have happened while on a cruise and the expense and how people handled them......it would make for an interesting read and perhaps open a few eyes.......................for now, this thread was again about how some of us think $60 pp per day hold is too much.

And people with great credit (over 800 FICO) are getting hit too. I just had a store card with Citibank increased to a 25.99% credit limit and some crazy late payment fee. I called and was told everyone with the card no matter their credit score was getting this rate. Now I only use this card for the discount and pay in full but don't like the idea should a payment get lost in the mail. I'm used to getting offers on a weekly basis with 0% interest rates for the first 6 months etc.

This is because of people not paying their bills.

That is exactly why I have no store cards-I don't care how deep a discount I can get-though usually it is 10%, occasionally 20%-10% is $10 on a $100- 20% is $20 on a hundred,that is nothing. Especially when those "deals" tempt me to buy stuff, that I wear a couple of times, and then get rid of as it never fit me right, and I bought it simply becuase it was "only" $20 or less, and I reasoned that I got it "free."

Hi Betty,

That would work IF they stayed within their credit limit. But how embarrassing to be cut off because you had spent your limit for the day.

But this thread was about the $60 pp hold per day. Lets say your travelling with 6 kids, well then the $60 pp hold per day is much too high.

You know, it's been stated here dozens of times and I just don't understand what the deal is. You DON'T have to authorize the kids to charge!!!! I have cruised HAL with my kids dozens of times. We have taken other family members, our DD's girlfriend etc.

I don't know why this is so difficult. Just state that you will pay cash for your kids onboard. Once onboard state that your kids are not authorized to charge to their shipboard accounts. No hold, no funds on deposit.

As for HAL policies about the hold - accept it or don't - simple as that.

I don't like the fact that my mortgage company escrows my tax payment and my homeowners insurance payment and hold my funds without any interest until said payments are made - but since it is their policy to do so; guess what? I suck up and deal with it.

They have a right to do as they please. Not all cruise lines do business this way. I have never had this much held out on Royal. This is Royal's response to the question.

"During check-in, your credit card will be verified as an active card. Each evening, if purchases were made throughout the day, your bank will put a hold for the amount charged. At the end of the cruise, the bank will put through the charges incurred."

This seems a more logical and fair process. JMHO

Hmmmmm. RCI has an interesting way of handling it. They actually take the time each night to transmit a record of each passenger's onboard charges for the day to the credit card company ? And then wait to receive confirmation that the info they sent was received ?

Honestly I cannot imagine how much time that would take ! Especially since they have thousands of passengers onboard their ships every day, around the world.

I'm not disputing what you said, I just find it very interesting that that's how they handle passenger accounts; it must work for them, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Hmmmmm. RCI has an interesting way of handling it. They actually take the time each night to transmit a record of each passenger's onboard charges for the day to the credit card company ? And then wait to receive confirmation that the info they sent was received ?

Honestly I cannot imagine how much time that would take ! Especially since they have thousands of passengers onboard their ships every day, around the world.

I'm not disputing what you said, I just find it very interesting that that's how they handle passenger accounts; it must work for them, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Boatdrill -

My experience on RCI was very similar to what I've experienced with HAL. I think they pre-authorized DD and I $200 each for a 4-night/5-day cruise. My charges were not run through every evening - they were eun through at the end of the cruise. $900 for both of us - we bought lots of pictures because we were with friends on a "girls only" cruise. :)

Also figure in transmitting all that data via satelite while at sea - it must cost a pretty penny! Placing holds and only transmitting final charges at the end of the cruise in port on the final day seems to make more sense.

Also figure in transmitting all that data via satelite while at sea - it must cost a pretty penny! Placing holds and only transmitting final charges at the end of the cruise in port on the final day seems to make more sense.

Actually, all the major cruise lines have worked a deal with our satellite providers. All administrative satellite calls and emails are free for the cruise line. Transmitting the data at night surely takes time, but costs nothing except working time.

Actually, all the major cruise lines have worked a deal with our satellite providers. All administrative satellite calls and emails are free for the cruise line. Transmitting the data at night surely takes time, but costs nothing except working time.

In my case on RCI, I don't think they did it that way - and we were out of L.A., with stops at Catalina Island, San Diego and Ensenada - not exactly "international". The entire charge was run through at the end - just like HAL. I happened across my emailed paperwork and it does indicate $25pp/per day - so that is in line with what I recall - about $200 each done in advance - the final bill done at the end. Could just be that sailing - granted, it is the only time I've been on RCI.

Archived