Cruising and the Flu

cjackso8

Ok, So I know this isn't Really cruise related, but I wanted to say it anyways. I'm a nurse, and I've already received both of the flu vaccinations for this season (Regular, ad H1N1). I'm now home for the second day from work with the flu. :mad:

Now. I know we've all had the flu before, and it's not fun, but I've seen a few threads in the last months where people mention not feeling well (flu like symptoms) and still cruising. I'm stating the obvious, but don't go if you think it's the flu. The reason these illnesses become national emergencies is because of the people that think they are above basic hygeine, and common kindness to others.

I'm probably just sick, and crabby, but I sail again in 86 days, and I do not want to go through this again. Sorry for my rant. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you have the flu hopefully you will be over it soon.

You are totally correct as so many people think come hell or high water they are going on their trip and they are just not considerate of everyone they come in contact with on the way to the ship let alone on the ship. They are probably the same people that pick something up on their trip and rant and rave about others coming on the ship already sick.

Of course you're absolutely right and if everyone stays home when they are sick we may manage to contain it somewhat. Unfortunately many people don't feel that way, like the 10 year old boy sitting behind my husband on the way home from our cruise last Friday. He coughed all the way from Nashville to Philadelphia. His Dad kept saying, "do you need cough medicine, how's your headache?" Who takes a sick child on a plane?:mad:

Of course you're absolutely right and if everyone stays home when they are sick we may manage to contain it somewhat. Unfortunately many people don't feel that way, like the 10 year old boy sitting behind my husband on the way home from our cruise last Friday. He coughed all the way from Nashville to Philadelphia. His Dad kept saying, "do you need cough medicine, how's your headache?" Who takes a sick child on a plane?:mad:

We had 2 kids throwing up and several people coughing on our plane ride home from Miami this past weekend. What is wrong with these people that takes a child or themselves on a plane which they know for a fact they are sick. One of the 2 kids got sick in the asle while boarding! In my opinion, the airline should have requested the family to get off the plane. The 2 kids continued to be sick of their stomaches the whole 5 1/2 hours home! :confused:

I couldn't wait to get off that plane!:eek:

People need to be considerate of others and stay home if they are sick!

To the OP, I hope you get well soon!

I can't agree more! I work in a school health room and just about every single day I hear the same story. "I was sick before school; my mom gave me tylenol and sent me anyway" They usually show up in the health room about midday when the medicine wears off. In the meantime, they have infected quite a few others. If everyone would do the right thing and quit sending known germs out into the public, a whole lot of others would not have to suffer the consequences. Airlines need to be more proactive when it comes to keeping obviously ill people either isolated or off the planes, however their cancellation policies make it difficult for many to make last minute changes without heavy penalties.

The swine flu is rampant in our schools right now.

I had the flu Feb of 2002. WORST week of my life. I couldn't image walking down stairs nevermind going on vacation.

We sail the 21st of Nov - flying to Miami the 20th. I am scared to get on the flight. A friend of mine is a nurse - they got fitted for masks (some special one) at work to help keep them from getting the n1h1. (they got the mask cuz they didn't get the shot - nice, huh?) Maybe I should go get fitted for one for the flight down.

Kathy

I see you live in Maryland. What part? We live in Chesapeake Beach. It hasn't hit our school yet. I sent 10 containers of lysol wipes into the classroom the other day.

Kathy

I can't agree more! I work in a school health room and just about every single day I hear the same story. "I was sick before school; my mom gave me tylenol and sent me anyway" They usually show up in the health room about midday when the medicine wears off. In the meantime, they have infected quite a few others. If everyone would do the right thing and quit sending known germs out into the public, a whole lot of others would not have to suffer the consequences. Airlines need to be more proactive when it comes to keeping obviously ill people either isolated or off the planes, however their cancellation policies make it difficult for many to make last minute changes without heavy penalties.

The swine flu is rampant in our schools right now.

Kathy, You can buy the masks at any drug store. They are called N-95 masks (most drug store masks are blue and round). They are very effective in keeping germs out if they fit properly. Most female faces are size regular, unless it's a child or large man. I recommend them for sure on a plane, also taking airborne quick sticks with you may help. They are a lot like pixie sticks from when you were a kid, but don't need to be mixed in water, and aren't as awful as their alka-seltzerish predecessors. Hope you have fun on your vacation. :D

I see you live in Maryland. What part? We live in Chesapeake Beach. It hasn't hit our school yet. I sent 10 containers of lysol wipes into the classroom the other day.

Kathy

The school I work at is in Montgomery County. I am sending two or three students a day home with flu symptoms [and many confirmed cases], but our attendance is running at about 10% absent a day. We haven't been as badly hit as some of the high and middle schools where some are running at about 25% absence rates.

Even though I work for the Health Department, they have yet to make vaccination available to us [despite their promise to do so], which is a bit frustrating considering we are at the front lines of this outbreak. My health room is very small, so when I have sick kids, we are sharing the same air. I've been fortunate so far and haven't gotten sick.

Ok, So I know this isn't Really cruise related, but I wanted to say it anyways. I'm a nurse, and I've already received both of the flu vaccinations for this season (Regular, ad H1N1). I'm now home for the second day from work with the flu. :mad:
And that is why I don't get vaccinated. IMO you wreck your immune system and make yourself MORE vulnerable to infection.

Hope you feel better soon.

I just got off the Carnival Miracle earlier this week and 5 of the 8 in our party came down with the flu just at the end of the trip (everyone was in perfect health prior to the cruise). I have had a friend tell me today that the same thing happened to his family on a Carnival cruise the week prior (ship unknown). I asked Carnival by email if they vaccinate their employees and they emailed back that they couldn't release that info. I am concerned because if they are immunizing with the nasal form of either flu vaccine, the recipient will shed the live virus for up to 3 weeks following administration. This could have some VERY serious implications for cruisers and I feel we should be told if this is where our illness have come from. We are Platinum and love Carnival, but I would have cancelled this cruise if I knew that staff were receiving the nasal vaccines. If anyone knows what protocol Carnival is using (if any) for their staff, I would be interested.

Hope you feel better soon! My kids are recovery from a week of the flu. My DS had a more mild case of low grade fever, but my DD had fever spikes of 102 and lots more muscle aches, pains and even dizzy feelings, along with a very sour stomach, poor kid. As soon as they got symptoms I kept them home and so wish other people would too. My kids schools are seeing a rise in absence this week due to flu. I so agree that if you are sick stay home and do not travel!

Don't blame the cruisers, blame the cruiselines and (especially) the airlines for their cancellation policies. The way things are set up, the airline profits whether a sick person cancels or not, and the sick person isn't going to be any worse off by choosing to travel (but in many cases would be worse off by losing their fare / having to pay a change fee / etc.).

Now. I know we've all had the flu before, and it's not fun, but I've seen a few threads in the last months where people mention not feeling well (flu like symptoms) and still cruising. I'm stating the obvious, but don't go if you think it's the flu. The reason these illnesses become national emergencies is because of the people that think they are above basic hygeine, and common kindness to others.

I'm probably just sick, and crabby, but I sail again in 86 days, and I do not want to go through this again. Sorry for my rant. :rolleyes:

Well for those that dont know, I know you do, the shots are to help the body build up immunity to the flu by injecting a small amount of the flu so your body can figure out how to fight it but sometimes your body cant do it fast enough and you become ill.

Also if you have flu like symptoms and get the vaccine you may get sicker.

I recommend everyone to get them. Also AAA has discount for regular one

Im just curious why you got them at the same time is that the protocal for your facility

My wife works in a grade school and the cases of H1N1 are so many they have quit counting. Parents are disregarding the instructions and sending their kids to school with fevers 102 -103 with coughing etc. Our county had only received a few hundred doses of the vaccine the majority of it spray and it has all gone to health workers. No vaccines for children yet. I seriously doubt the vaccine will reach the vast number of folks until after the worst is past. Last week we had a 47 year old man die from H1N1. He was the Captain of the Fire Dept. I agree with the masks on the planes. Better safe than sorry. Lots of hand washing.

And that is why I don't get vaccinated. IMO you wreck your immune system and make yourself MORE vulnerable to infection.

It is a known fact that the vaccine does NOT GIVE YOU THE FLU OR as you say wreck your immune system, in fact it helps. The more bad bugs you have in your system is what causes havoc to your immune system because it has to work overtime to get rid of everything. There are natural ways to build up your immune system, like taking Vitamin C. I get my flu shots every year and I have not had the flu nor gotten a cold, but so many people who come down with it within a few days of getting the vaccine blames it on that and they are wrong, because it takes your system a week or so to build up the immunity to it, just like it take that long for your system to build up the immunity if you caught it from someone else.

May I ask how long ago you got your flu shots, I noticed you did not state when you got them. Was it in the last week or 10 days.

I just got off the Carnival Miracle earlier this week and 5 of the 8 in our party came down with the flu just at the end of the trip (everyone was in perfect health prior to the cruise). I have had a friend tell me today that the same thing happened to his family on a Carnival cruise the week prior (ship unknown). I asked Carnival by email if they vaccinate their employees and they emailed back that they couldn't release that info. I am concerned because if they are immunizing with the nasal form of either flu vaccine, the recipient will shed the live virus for up to 3 weeks following administration. This could have some VERY serious implications for cruisers and I feel we should be told if this is where our illness have come from. We are Platinum and love Carnival, but I would have cancelled this cruise if I knew that staff were receiving the nasal vaccines. If anyone knows what protocol Carnival is using (if any) for their staff, I would be interested.

You think if all the staff was vacinated correctly (in your opinion) all would be well? I find this to be extremely faulty logic. Did you notice all those other people besides staff around you? Did you get off the ship at anytime in a third world country? Did you get on an airplane or go on any public transportation?

This is the very reason I do not like to see young children and esp babies on a cruise. One of these days something is going to break out and kill a few and people are going to go crazy.

You can live in an isolation box and let everything on the 24/7 news programs scare you or you can go out, take reasonable precautions and basically hope for the best.

People are going to get sick. Sick people are going to be out and about. The last place in the world I would want to go is to the ER but people come and bring the whole family who sit in a tiny waiting room while every 3rd person around them is coughing or using the bathroom freq. Our waiting room is tiny on purpose hoping to discourage this behavior, but they don't seem to mind sitting on the floor if need be even though there are signs that say do not sit on the floor. It makes my stomach turn.

The reason people are going to work sick, sending their kids to school sick, riding public transportation sick, and going on cruises sick is because of the absintee policies or the cancelation policies.

And one last question, how would you expect Carnival to know from where the virus was picked up? I feel you are wanting to know information from carnival that they can not possiby answer. If you go to the grocery store and come down sick the next day do you call them and ask about the policies they use for sick employees?

People seem to forget the regular old flu kills 35,000 people a year, call it something else and everyone treats it like the plague. People are so reliant on medicine and drugs these days, they don't realize their own immune systems are slowly declining because they don't have to work as much when they are constantly flooded with drugs. You'll do yourself more good boosting your immune system rather being a germ-a-phobe.

I will be cruising in 23 days and i havent been sick yet. I have had my flu shot, but that dont mean i wont get a flu. It's worrying me because i dont want to get sick before i get on the ship and im also very worried about my husband contacting the flu on the ship....he is a diabetic. I work in a school real close to the nurses office and kids are throwing up and having fevers all day long, every day. I guess we all have no choice weather or not or when we will get the flu, you just dont know. The girl i work with had the swine flu two weeks ago and was out of work for 10 days and she used my phone and i still didnt get it yet. I am under stess and havent been sleeping well and that also worries me because it seems to me that that is the time when you can get sick quicker. Lets all pray that we can be healthy and not go cruising with an illness....its not kind to others and an illness that might not become an emergency to you...can become and emergency to others. Good luck to everyone cruising!!!

People seem to forget the regular old flu kills 35,000 people a year, call it something else and everyone treats it like the plague. People are so reliant on medicine and drugs these days, they don't realize their own immune systems are slowly declining because they don't have to work as much when they are constantly flooded with drugs. You'll do yourself more good boosting your immune system rather being a germ-a-phobe.

Those are my personal feelings as well, despute the fact that many medical people will argue how wrong I am....and I don't care.

I've never had the flu, (and I am 47) so what I'm doing works for me.

OP, I too hope you feel better soon :)

I just had to chime in, although not cruise related, just shows the mindset of some people. Stepmother called yesterday morning and wanted to go to lunch at a local buffet, we met at noon. She brought along her 3 year old nephew, family lives with her. I don't mind kids, but he was so sick with a terrible cough. We were in a booth and he was sitting across from me coughing all over my food. I hardly touched anything. He then proceeded to follow my step mother all around the buffet looking at the food and coughing. She had no clue about his germs. I told her to make him sit in his seat, but she said he was only a little boy and didn't like to sit still. I got out of there as soon as I could. I also Learned to ask who she will be bringing and are they sick. I was totally shocked that she didn't even think about all the germs she was causing him to spread.

It is that kind of mind set that some people have when traveling.

Cindy

Archived