CHEAP WAY from FCO(airport) to Civitavecchia(Cruise Docks)

52cruise52

As usual, I didn't take a good look at the post dates... I hope the poster who was staying at the "Waldorf Astoria" had a good time. If anyone in the future is staying at the Rome Cavalieri, my post will stand...

• 6 months later...

Has anyone used their transfer services? It was the cheapest I have found. For 4 of us, they are charging 105 Euros from Civitavecchia to Rome. Please share any information you might have about them or any other transfer services.

Thank you

Edited by psilva99

• 2 weeks later...
FCO to Seabourn 5/9/14 & Seabourn to NCE 5/18/14

Any suggestions for low cost & reliability, or is that an oxymoron?

Wow... Seabourn and low cost transport...

FCO -> Civitavecchia:

Regional Train R1 to Roma Tiburtina

change to

Regional Train R5 to Civitavecchia

walk about 500 yards to port gate

complimentary shuttle to the ship

With Nice:

are you docking in Villefranche, Nice, Cannes or Monte Carlo?

Subject you are docking in Nice

Bus 96 from Old Port to the airport. If I remember correctly it was 6.00 EUR when we used the bus from the airport last november.

FCO -> Civitavecchia:

change to

You've got your trains a little mixed up.

From FCO you'd take the FL1 train to Roma Trastevere (7 stops) where you'd change to the FL5 to Civitavecchia.

Purchase your tickets for the entire trip at the airport train station. The cost is 11 Euro.

You can see the regional train map here: http://atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

Wow... Seabourn and low cost transport... I guess I'm living in a dreamworld!

FCO -> Civitavecchia:

change to

So these are two choices: the 1st using two trains & the 2nd walking to shuttle that goes to ship- is that right?

With Nice:

are you docking in Villefranche, Nice, Cannes or Monte Carlo? It will be Monte Carlo to NCE.

Bus 96 from Old Port to the airport. If I remember correctly it was 6.00 EUR when we used the bus from the airport last november.

Wow... Seabourn and low cost transport... I guess I'm living in a dreamworld!

FCO -> Civitavecchia:

change to

So these are two choices: the 1st using two trains & the 2nd walking to shuttle that goes to ship- is that right?

With Nice:

are you docking in Villefranche, Nice, Cannes or Monte Carlo? It will be Monte Carlo to NCE.

No, there's no real choice when using the train from FCO to Civitavecchia other than which Rome station you change trains at.

Well, let me take that back - there is one choice but I always seem to forget about it because I wouldn't make it. However, here it is:

At the airport you can choose from two train options into Rome for the first phase of your trip:

(1) The regional FL1 train to Roma Trastevere

(2) The Leonardo Express train to Roma Termini.

Phase two is the train to Civitavecchia. Again, you do have choices:

(1) The regional FL5 train (you can get this train at any of the Rome stations, it works with either option in phase one

(2) An express train - these trains can only be boarded at Roma Termini. These trains cost significantly more than the regional trains and only occasionally will get you there faster, because you've made a longer trip into Rome to make the connection.

The regional to regional option costs 11 Euro. The express to express option costs 23 Euro.

In all cases, when you get to Civitavecchia you have a four-tenths of a mile walk from the train station to the fortress at the entrance of the port. At the fortress you will board a free shuttle bus that takes you to your ship.

If you want to make a google map of the walk in Civitavecchia, the train station is at Viale della Repubblica, 2, 00053 Civitavecchia and the fortress at the port is located at Calata Cesare Laurenti, 15, 00053 Civitavechia.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks for your detailed help. I think the trains will be too much for me since I use a scooter, so probably will need to get a van or bus from FCO to Seabourn.
Wise choice. The trains in Italy are really not set up for those with difficulty getting around. Add luggage into that scenario and you've got a real mess.

• 2 months later...

In all cases, when you get to Civitavecchia you have a four-tenths of a mile walk from the train station to the fortress at the entrance of the port. At the fortress you will board a free shuttle bus that takes you to your ship.

If you want to make a google map of the walk in Civitavecchia, the train station is at Viale della Repubblica, 2, 00053 Civitavecchia and the fortress at the port is located at Calata Cesare Laurenti, 15, 00053 Civitavechia.

Great info! Thank you...we are reaching Rome/Civitavechia coming Tuesday for a cruise. Is it practical to ride trains with luggage around 10 AM, may be 3 pieces. Walking or steps is not a problem for us...just trying to equate someone taking the suburban trains in NYC may not be very practical during business hours.

Edited by banki27

We bought our tickets on line from the Airport to Rome, to Civitavecchia. We ordered them from Trenitalia and you also order from Rail Europe. We did it this way because we didn't want to stand in line at the train station with our luggage. Buying them at the station would be cheaper and depending on when you get there it might be easy to do. We are seniors and have traveled by train from Paris - Milan - Genoa -Bologna-Ravenna