CHEAP WAY from FCO(airport) to Civitavecchia(Cruise Docks)

52cruise52

http://www.kenandpene.com/ROME%20ON%20YOUR%20OWN.htm

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=59139

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hia+train+rome

also saw a post of mine that reminded me to suggest that you book a train that terminates at the port..through trains stop on the middle tracks and you have to carry your luggage down a set of stairs then up a set to use the tunnel under the tracks...that is if moving luggage is an issue

For anyone interested in train schedules (trains are very frequent) from airport to port go to http://trenitalia.com/ enter fiumicino aeroporto in box 1 and civitavecchia in box 2. Buy your ticket in the airport train station, validate it (important) in yellow box on the platform, take FM1 train and change at Roma Trastevere (to line FM5). Map is here http://www.internet-conf.org/2009/piantinaMetRo.pdf

Realistically the trip can be done in around 2 hrs (1.5 hrs for train + walk to port gates + shuttle).

The cheapest way from Fiumicino Airport to Civitavecchia is the COTRAL bus which goes once per day.

http://www.cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/Civitavecchia.pdf

See page 25.

should be around 4.10 EUR...

But again: only once per day and only from the airport to Civitavecchia...

Make sense if you stay overnight in Civitavecchia or have a late sailing after 19.00 hrs.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks for the info. I am concerned about luggage and stairs at the train station. I also love the trains, but don't know how many stairs are required wile lugging suitcases. Did you buy your tickets after you got there, or ahead of time? Also, did you take a cab to the port after arriving at Citavecchia? Thanks

After lugging my bags up and down stairs in a Barcelona Metro station on our first cruise to Europe, I now pack only a carry-on and a large tote bag. It can be done and it is so much easier to handle. It does help, though, after 30 + cruises that we don't eat in the dining room anymore. I no longer take as many shoes, clothes, toiletries, etc. as I used to. There is no need to buy tickets ahead of time...just buy them when you get there. The port entrance is only about 4 blocks from the train station. We usually just walk it. There will be a free shuttle at the port entrance that will take you to your ship.:)

Kind of an oxymoron,

NOTHING IS CHEAP IN EUROPE!

We did share a transfer from our hotel in Rome to Civitavecchia that cost 30 EURO pp. Which at the time we were there was about $50. And that's what we have to pay in LA for two on a shared shuttle van from our home to LAX.

Be sure to have a Plan "A", and then also a Plan "B", for when Plan "A" falls apart. It happened a lot to us. I spent 18 months preparing, only didn't have a Plan "B". We flew by the seat of our pants a lot.

Have a great trip, Europe is EXPENSIVE, but it is oh so WONDERFUL!

OP, first off, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

.....so what do we do if we're staying in Rome and need to get to the pier? We'll be arriving a day early, so we'll want to spend half of the day seeing a last bit of Rome. How do we do this without schlepping our luggage around Rome with us? We have considered doing a tour, but don't know if it's cost effective for us to have them take us to the pier afterwards.

Kind of an oxymoron,

NOTHING IS CHEAP IN EUROPE!

We did share a transfer from our hotel in Rome to Civitavecchia that cost 30 EURO pp. Which at the time we were there was about $50. And that's what we have to pay in LA for two on a shared shuttle van from our home to LAX.

Be sure to have a Plan "A", and then also a Plan "B", for when Plan "A" falls apart. It happened a lot to us. I spent 18 months preparing, only didn't have a Plan "B". We flew by the seat of our pants a lot.

Have a great trip, Europe is EXPENSIVE, but it is oh so WONDERFUL!

What on earth makes you think that's expensive? It's a one hour, 80km transfer. Try getting a transfer/axti from Philadelphia to New York ..

As for cheap, it's exceptionally inexpensive to take the train (under €5 one way)

the main terminal has a left luggage place..but its likely easier and cheaper to arrange with your hotel to store the bags for a bit..or..you could pay my way on the cruise and I will gladly look after your luggage for you

Now there's a thought! :D

Seriously, since we're staying at the Waldorf Astoria near the Vatican, maybe the best thing is to reserve a tour of the Vatican for that morning, enabling us to get back to the hotel and pick up the luggage afterwards.

• 3 months later...

I would love to take the train but my luggage will be heavy (2 suitcases 50 pounds each)+ carry on because of my wife. I think I can handle it (I am 30 and in decent shape) but I also worry about the time since we arrive @10:30 am and cruise departs @ 5 PM. On the other hand if I take a shuttle taxi for 2 people it would cost a bit less than the cruise itself. No one has answered me on the roll calls , so I am wondering if anyone will be travelling from FCO to Civitaveccchia port on 6/16?

• 5 months later...

My wife and I recently took the 10th October Celebrity Equinox departure from Civitavecchia, and we were also confronted with the same debate as to the "best" transfer method:

1) The transfers that the cruise lines offer are wickedly expensive

2) The local limo/mini-bus transfers are only marginally less frightening

3) The €90 transfer mentioned in this thread SEEMS to be a decent option, but elsewhere on the web there are descriptions of problems with this service like the one here by Kisse on 24th July 2011. It seems that you can wait for a long time while they fill the mini-bus http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g194743-i2719-k4428925-o10-Transfer_from_Rome_to_Cruise_Port-Civitavecchia_Lazio.html

4) The train is the cheapest option without a doubt to and from Fiumicino, but beware that the Civitavecchia shutlle bus starts from a point far from the train station. Then you have the problems of lugging baggage; stairs; standing in lines; jostling crowns and the risks with that while pulling 23kgs of suitcase; getting lost; time delays (takes much longer than a direct trip); etc.

So we did the logical thing and hired a car.

It had the advantage that you can go directly or stop off and buy wine, or (on you way home?) buy Italian products at the large supermarket on the way (COOP) in Civitavecchia South, or go to a restaurant for lunch.

I have posted details here on how to get the best price; whether one-way fees are involved; where the rental offices are in the port; Italy and Rome trip reports:

http://pedro-in-spain.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-not-to-believe-tourist-guides-case.html

We found the car hire option to be the perfect solution. A compact is more than big enough for 2 people; there is a rear seat for the other large suitcase and miscellaneous bags. Our cost to Civitavecchia was €38 (including €5 for fuel); the return was marginally more expensive.

Edited by Rockknocker

So we did the logical thing and hired a car.

It had the advantage that you can go directly or stop off and buy wine, or (on you way home?) buy Italian products at the large supermarket on the way (COOP) in Civitavecchia South, or go to a restaurant for lunch.

I have posted details here on how to get the best price; whether one-way fees are involved; where the rental offices are in the port; Italy and Rome trip reports:

http://pedro-in-spain.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-not-to-believe-tourist-guides-case.html

We found the car hire option to be the perfect solution. A compact is more than big enough for 2 people; there is a rear seat for the other large suitcase and miscellaneous bags. Our cost to Civitavecchia was €38 (including €5 for fuel); the return was marginally more expensive.

Well... no car rental company is allowed to deliver the cars directly to the pier.

You still need to use the shuttle to the port gate.

Europcar and Avis are far away from the port gate and as you nicely describe the hassle of getting to the station that would the same problem and you have to get upwards to the upper part of the town.

It works well with Hertz which is not open all days but half way between port gate and train station - all way flat.

You can rent Hertz 3-6-9 service which means only for 3, 6 or 9 hours.

It's an easy way to get to the airport but honestly spoken: it's easier to pay a little more for a limo service which takes you from pier to airport terminal.

Anyway so bad as you described the situation I would not confirm it generally. Depends to the number of ships in town etc. - many many cruisers did it and you can manage it.

Regards

HeinBloed

We had a rental car with Enterprise whe n we left on our Celebrity Silhouette cruise last August. We had been driving around Southern Italy. The morning of our cruise we returned it to the Enterprise office near the port. Unfortunately, while it looked close on the map, it was at the wrong 'entrance' to the port, and the people at Enterprise told us that they weren't going to let us in there. However, the shuttle driver from our hotel picked us up at Enterprise and drove us in, directly to the ship. It was enough of a drive that I'm really glad we didn't have to walk that last bit.

• 8 months later...

Looking for shared shuttle from Rome Airport to Civitecchia. We arrive, Sunday, July 15th at 7:15 p.m. Any ideas or suggestions or companions?

Thinking of booking the Traghetto Hotel in Civitecchia until morning of July 17th. Shuttle service is either walking short distance of 5 euro's by shuttle to pier from hotel.

The Chism's from AZ (known as Powerplate):):)

I highly recommend Roma Shuttle service when choosing transport to/from FCO airport.

It's tiring and difficult traveling with luggage by train from FCO, so try sharing a van with others in your group or CC roll call to bring down cost. We recently hired Alfredo from Roma shuttle to take us from FCO airport to our hotel in Civitaveccia for 90 Euro for 2-3 people with all luggage included. Our flight arrived 3 1/2 hours later than planned, then we had to wait 3 hours to file lost luggage forms at FCO. Alfredo cheerfully agreed to wait for us! He then agreed to pick up our lost bags next morning and deliver them to us in Civitaveccia, but wasn't allowed to retrieve bags without us. He dropped everything, drove 1 hr to our hotel in Civitaveccia, drove us back to FCO to get bags, then drove us to ship in Civitaveccia just in time to make our departure! He was very caring about our predicament and went out of his way to help us get our lost bags and make our ship's departure. We would never have been able to get our lost bags in time to make ship's departure if it wasn't for Alfredo's help!! Roma Shuttle is reasonably priced, but more important a very honest and caring shuttle company!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM!!

• 11 months later...

We had a bad experience with this company. They sent no confirmation email to us, we searched for them in vain at the Rome airport, had to take a taxi to Civitavecchia instead, and yet they insisted on charging us for the trip. Don't give them your credit card information. You can find an honest and reliable service to take you to the port--just don't use this one.

Now there's a thought! :D

Seriously, since we're staying at the Waldorf Astoria near the Vatican, maybe the best thing is to reserve a tour of the Vatican for that morning, enabling us to get back to the hotel and pick up the luggage afterwards.

You're talking about the Rome Cavalieri, right? Just so you know, it is NOT near the Vatican. The Cavalieri is up on top of Monte Mario (the highest point of Rome), not down in the "flats" of Rome. You can walk it to the Vatican if you want, but it's probably a 30 minute walk, if not more. And, the main way to get from the Cavalieri down has no sidewalks, so you have to walk a more roundabout way. The Cavalieri does have a scheduled shuttle down and up. If you ask the driver, he will make a stop that will put you closer to the Vatican than the normal stop (Piazza Barberini). He will also stop at the top of Via Veneto if anyone asks. The shuttle schedule is here:

http://www.romecavalieri.com/shuttleservice.php

Seriously, for you, the best thing would be to take a taxi both ways to get you to the Vatican when you need, then take a taxi (there is a taxi rank outside of St. Peter's Square).

Enjoy the Cavalieri!!! I was there the beginning of May. When you get to your room, check out the PILLOW MENU on the nightstand. Yes, a pillow menu, with ELEVEN different types of pillows to choose from !!! If you plan to go out to dinner one night, email the Concierge (ROMHIConcierge@waldorfastoria.com). If you know where you want to go, ask them to make the reservations - they will be happy to do it! If you want recs on where to dine, they will offer some good choices. Go out to the patio at the end of your evening, order a nice glass of wine (the Barbera di Asti was very nice), savor the quiet location, the cooler air than downtown, and look at the lights of Rome.