Opinions Please

Goldens4

Do you think it would be OK if I left notes for our next door neighbors to let us know if smoking on the veranda will bother them and to call us if they want to step outside so we can stop? This way we all can enjoy our verandahs w/o any "fuss or muss".:) Input would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!

PS: I am a very direct individual and appreciate the same with other people.

Instead of a note, I'd just approach them, and ask if they've been bothered, and if they are, to let you know. Seems less "intrusive" than a note under the door, and would make you seem more approachable, should they want to limit your enjoyment of your balcony.

It's probable that they won't have a problem with your pasttime at all. I'm sure there will be times when you're on your balcony NOT smoking!

Do you think it would be OK if I left notes for our next door neighbors to let us know if smoking on the veranda will bother them and to call us if they want to step outside so we can stop? This way we all can enjoy our verandahs w/o any "fuss or muss".:) Input would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!

PS: I am a very direct individual and appreciate the same with other people.

That is a very thoughtful thing to do. It would be nice if others were as considerate as yourself. However, I for one would not call and tell you that you cannot smoke on your veranda because I am about to go outside on mine. It is your right to smoke in accordance with the Silver Sea rules on smoking. Though I would prefer non-smoking neighbors...the smoking rules on Silver allow for smoking in the cabins and on the balconies. Silver Sea leaves the non-smokers with the choice of not using their balconies, if the smoke annoys them.

as you say you are, then follow cb at sea's advise and personally discuss it w/your neighbors. I heard the same message on our Sept cruise as the last poster, that Silversea strongly suggests "no Smoking" on the Veranda. To me this makes sense as a ship safety issue.:)

Cruzemaven - I think the note from Embtsam is your answer. Smoking on the balcony is discouraged by SS. If you can do it in your cabin do it but follow the guidelines of the line.:mad::mad:

Yes, the guidelines of the line "discourage" smoking on the balcony -- they do not prohibit smoking on the balcony.

I hate to beat a dead donkey but it is about etiquette, especially if the line requests you don't do it on the balcony. Remember the "Star Princess," incident? I am sure that no one would like to be responsible for a similar occurance.

The reason that so many posts revert to the pros & cons of the tobacco question is that those of us who are concerned about our health are very conscious of the dangers posed by the habit.

I hate to beat a dead donkey but it is about etiquette, especially if the line requests you don't do it on the balcony. Remember the "Star Princess," incident? I am sure that no one would like to be responsible for a similar occurance.

The reason that so many posts revert to the pros & cons of the tobacco question is that those of us who are concerned about our health are very conscious of the dangers posed by the habit.

Obviously there are different views on this issue. However, the major reason my husband and I switched back to Silversea (and have 2 upcoming cruises booked with them after recently returning from one) is because of their smoking policy, which I view as a reasonable one. As you know, the policy permits smoking in the cabin as well as on the cabin balcony. This is important to our enjoyment of our vacation. I realize that is not the case for you, but it is for us and the cruiseline allows it. We understand the need to be careful and considerate, and do so.

Sorry but I thought that SS strongly discouraged smoking on the Verandas! They have announcements on the TV on embarkation day as well as at the life boat drill.

Sweetpea:

Having not yet had the SS experience and I am reading in this and other threads that SS does discourage the use of the balconies for smoking, I will have to experience our cruise first to see if indeed it is a problem. If it is then SS will lose us as repeaters, if not, perhaps we will have found a new favorite. I hope it is the latter thought!!:):)

Sweetpea:

Having not yet had the SS experience and I am reading in this and other threads that SS does discourage the use of the balconies for smoking, I will have to experience our cruise first to see if indeed it is a problem. If it is then SS will lose us as repeaters, if not, perhaps we will have found a new favorite. I hope it is the latter thought!!:):)

Yes, I'm simply commenting on the difference between "discouraging" and "prohibiting" something. As you know, there are other cruiselines that prohibit smoking on the cabin balcony. Silversea is not one of them. I hope you will find that the permissible smoking is not problematic for you. But in any event, it is permitted on the balcony, albeit dicouraged.

Thank you, Charlie. When you meet me you will see that even though I have that habit that practically puts me up there with child molesters( even though THEY get more slack), I am a sweetie. Plus I'm darn cute too.!;) Look for the tall blonde with the big smile and always laughing. Think cheerleader and you'll recognize me.

To cb, thank you for your suggestion. I appreciate you giving my question such thought.

To CruzeMaven, you will see that 90% of the smokers are extremely considerate. The other 10% are like other people. As we say, rude and crude in any circumstance or social situation. I believe you will enjoy SS. Thank you for being gracious and such a "class act". I hope perhaps one day we can meet and enjoy a glass of bubbly together. Since I am direct, I appreciate you being very honest with me.

Goldens4, Thank you for such a considerate OP...if your were next

to our balcony, I would say you can smoke whenever you like..your consideration for your balcony neighbor is exceptional in all the smoking threads I have read

on CC. Kudos for your thoughtfullness.

If all passengers read the literature supplied by Silversea it would be quite clear and prevent ad nauseum debate on this subject. Smoking is allowed in various areas on each ship, however, no mention is made of allowing smoking in Staterooms and/or the balcony of Staterooms. Stick to the designated areas as listed in the pre cruise information. Or are we now going to be subjected further by people stating " well they didn't say we couldn't smoke in these areas, only where we could".

On my last cruise on the shadow in early OCT I did not see much smoking at all, even in the designated areas. Actually, I can only recall a few times I saw someone smoking by the pool. Furthermore, I did note once that a staff member reminded a guest to move to the "area" on the pool deck when they were on the "wrong side" of the ship, but it was not an issue. So, I can conclude that on my voyage that all the smokers were considerate of the other passengers, which was par for the course in other areas too. SS does attract some very nice passengers.

Archived