RE: Cabin selection

1980dory

In this age of electronics, I wonder why cruise lines cannot provide specific pictures of specific cabins. We are forced to select cabins based on a few generic pictures with nothing more than a vague or general description. I've never seen a picture of an 'obstructed view' cabin. Although I know there must be vast differences in the degree of obstruction. I might be interested in one, if only I could see it!

Further, I've never seen a description of the various categories and what the differences are. I only see different prices for say, 'oceanview' class. What am I getting by spending more for a 'higher' category? What are the differences with each successive price increase?

Why must we make a major purchase based on generic pictures and vague descriptions? This is analogous to buying a grab bag. I think it's time for the cruise industry to be more open about what they have to offer.

Each cabin of a catagory is identical....why waste the space for a picture of a ton of identical pictures?

You can go to the board of the cruiseline you're sailing, and someone will post a picture of either the cabin you're interested in, or one just like it.....

Partially obstructed cabins are NOT a big deal....you still have a humongous view, with, perhaps, a ladder in the corner of your balcony.

If you're thinking of an OV cabin (no balcony), the window is to let in light....it's not great for having expansive ocean views....obstructed or not!

We are considering a S. America cruise on Splendour of the Seas. However, the price difference between the outside room ($584.00) and the balcony room (1699.00) is quite a bit! Does anyone know why there would be over a $1000 price difference in rooms? The cruise w are considering is in February - not sure what the weather is like in S. America at that time. Help!

We are considering a S. America cruise on Splendour of the Seas. However, the price difference between the outside room ($584.00) and the balcony room (1699.00) is quite a bit! Does anyone know why there would be over a $1000 price difference in rooms? The cruise w are considering is in February - not sure what the weather is like in S. America at that time. Help!

I can't really help you with the cabin price except an opinion that balconies are coveted so they don't need to sell them cheap. But to answer your other question, February in the southern hemisphere (at least when I've gone to Australia) is the equivalent of August here.

With RCL I watch for guarantees. You might compromise by doing a guarantee if they offer them, or I wait until they do and my price is offered if Im set on a particular price or category. Iv always done well with RCL and guarantees, even the worst choice.

Archived