"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

1. that i really did only need half the clothes i brought. and i did not need too buy all the new clothes i bought. nice looking clean things in my closet would have been perfectly fine.

2. that i did not have too do tours the whole time i was in the ports. ( relax also enjoy the port city )

3. enjoy the debarkation city the night before the cruise. get some sight seeing in and be relaxed and fresh for boarding the ship the day after you arrive.

4. dont be afraid of spending relaxing time in the cabin. also try new foods and enjoy the eating advantages of the cruise.

5. taking your own pictures on the ship saves so much money and time not spent in lines waiting too have them professionally taken and then trying too find them at the kiosk.

1. Bring FEWER clothes/shoes and MORE money!!!!!!!!

2. It's windy. You're on a boat. Hair ties, headbands, a light sweater is nice to have.

3. Find ONE server at the pool/private beach and stick with him/her the whole time.

4. Set up your onboard account with CASH, not cc!! That way there's no hold on your card and you get cash back in your hand when you walk off the boat.

5. Please see #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Bring FEWER clothes/shoes and MORE money!!!!!!!!

2. It's windy. You're on a boat. Hair ties, headbands, a light sweater is nice to have.

3. Find ONE server at the pool/private beach and stick with him/her the whole time.

4. Set up your onboard account with CASH, not cc!! That way there's no hold on your card and you get cash back in your hand when you walk off the boat.

5. Please see #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ditto on all of this. especially #1. :D

1. I know this is on everyone's list, but pack light! On my first cruise, I brought A LOT. I didn't even wear half of the clothes I brought.

2. Bring towel clips. I'm paranoid about the towels going overboard. Lol

3. Bring a light jacket - Yes, you are on a cruise and it will be hot most of the time, but just know that it DOES get a bit chilly at night and there is A/C.

4. Either go really early to embarkation, or late. I think your best bet would be to go later - That's what we do, and we usually zoom right in. If you go sometime in the middle, it will be a zoo!

5. You don't always have to book excursions with the cruise line. To save money and time, you can always stay on board and relax, or take your own tour! Usually when you get off the ship, there's people from this island that are certified taxi drivers that will take you on a tour of the island...and it costs WAY less. Or sometimes the beach is a short walking distance from the ship so you could go there...and there's usually shops you could shop at as well. There's lots of options. :-)

I just finished my first cruise on Christmas Eve, so these tips are fresh :)

- Rocking/feeling the boat rock/sway is OKAY and NORMAL! I was surprised by how much movement I felt during one day.

- If you have a balconey, order room service at least once and enjoy it out there!

- Hang on to your towel towards the end of the cruise! On my cruise (Jewel of the Seas) they ran out of pool towels on the last day.

- It was cool at night during some of the activities. I didn't have any pants and only 2 long sleeves, so those got worn a lot! I would have packed at least some crop pants.

- Take less nice clothes! I had a lot of nice/dressy stuff and wanted a few more casual/relaxed outfits for evenings (see above).

- Hang on to your towel towards the end of the cruise! On my cruise (Jewel of the Seas) they ran out of pool towels on the last day.

I hang on to them the entire cruise. Get them first day, always exchange them for clean ones. Last day, I turn them in.

1.Wait to buy any photos or things in the gift shop until the last night-often they are marked down.

2. Take about half the clothes you think you'll need.

3. Take swim suit, sun screen, etc. in your carry on bag so you can have it while you are waiting on your luggage to arrive.

4. Take photos of everything if you have a digital camera-you can always delete what you don't want.

5. I take a highlighter pen so I can mark activities I want to do on the Fun Times paper. (Carnival)

Just back from our first cruise. Everyone on this thread has posted such great ideas - I guess I should have read them BEFORE the cruise instead of after :o Here are things we will know for our next cruise:

(1) Find out if your cruise will provide a free embarcation drink. We assumed not, so brought on our own champagne bottles onto our Carnival cruise. Carnival actually provided the champagne when we boarded. If we had known, we would have brought wine bottles instead.

(2) If you are a large group, bring walkie-talkies. We were a group of 5 families in 8 cabins spread out over the ship, ranging in age from 8 to 87 with different sleeping patterns, interests and physical abilities. We found it very hard to coordinate and find each other with the cellphones turned off and no one ever being in their cabins.

(3) An e-reader is great, but for those that like old fashioned paper, don't forget about the ship's library. The Carnival Ecstasy had up-to-date books that I was able to check out.

(4) Sleep - many members of our party (all new to cruising) had trouble sleeping because of unfamiliar noises from the ship itself, the motion, etc. Be aware and prepared. I personally wish I had brought a reading light. I didn't want to wake up my snoring husband, so wound up creeping out of the cabin at 4am and finding a spot where I read for an hour until I got tired.

(5) Double-check what your cruise line does or does not provide. I assumed that Carnival would provide a hair dryer but not a bathrobe, so packed accordingly, only to find the reverse was true.

(6) Ditto to what everyone has said about the shoes. I will not say how many shoes I brought aboard because it's too embarrassing. Think through what you absolutely need.

(7) Shopping regrets. I am not a big shopper, but remember that time goes fast in the port and things can be unpredictable. That cool 1950's poster for $10 about Key West-Havana ferry service that I thought I'd pick up on the way back to the ship - yep, walked back a different way and missed it, and then saw the time and had to race back to the ship. And the souvenir/gift shopping I was going to do on 2nd Bahamas port-of call? Didn't happen because of high winds preventing us from docking. I wound up coming home empty-handed with NONE of the Caribbean Christmas gifts I had planned to purchase.

My favorite tip? Bring along a large trash bag. Put it into your empty suitcase under the bed. Throw dirty/worn clothes into it as soon as they are removed. By the time the cruise is over, almost all your packing is already done. Tie up the laundry bag, and pack the unworn stuff/shoes and extras around it. Done! Also bring a 1 gallon ziploc bag to put undies in, after they've been worn of course, and keep in one of the drawers. Then just zip shut and toss in the suitcase headed for home.

Also, my Hubbs, spends over 300 days a year at hotels, so I just throw in a few of those hotel soaps, shampoo's and conditioners and I'm done. What I don't use up gets tossed.

I bring my cd player to listen to before sleep. (drowns out my hubbs snoring)

I bring an over-the-door-hanging thingy to stock all the extras and hang it in the closet. I can easily reach my sunscreen, hairbrush, extra batteries, camera, shoes, and all the other extra stuff. The best part is there's no hunting through drawers to find stuff, and I can just lay the whole thing in my suitcase to bring home.

Always remember to get room service for coffee and pastries in the early am. Not only is it an excellent alarm clock (they always call before bringing it) but it insures I have a nice cup of coffee to watch the sun come up with on deck.

I always make time to watch the sunrise and sunset.

Why keep dirty underwear seperate in a drawer and not just toss in the bag under the bed with everything else...? lol

1. Ask about a tour of bridge/engine room, cause you are honeymooners.

2. Bride should wear a small veil on first day, people will buy you drinks the whole cruise.

3. Let your waitstaff/matre'de know you are honeymooners. They will sing to you.

4. I read on a thread that some couples will move a mattress to the balcony so they can sleep (read...*wink*wink*) one or two nights out there.

5. Relax and have fun!!!

#4 Awesome idea! It's like camping at sea!! I'm planning our first cruise in March on the NCL Epic to E. Carribean. It's our 5th anniversary/honeymoon and it will also serve as some MUCH needed R&R to the both of us as he's due home this month from his current deployment. I have a 4 and nearly 3 year old and while they are my LIFE, Momma needs OUT!! LOL. We just changed duty stations this past June and I had planned to go camping and all sorts of things once we got here but all of that was ruined with another deployment :( I'll definately be trying that! (and not even for the *wink*wink* but... that's a plus too! ahhaha)

I will be travelling with my 10 year old daughter and my mom (if she doesn't chicken out) on the Carnival Inspiration in July. My mom and I are not alcohol drinkers, is it worth it to buy the soda package? My mother loves Coke or Pepsi. Also, what are the chances of being seasick...my mother is afraid she will be sick the whole time...does your body adjust? Anything I can tell her in order to prepare her for the trip. She says she is afraid of being on all that water. I have tried to explain that it's like being in a building once on the ship. She keeps thinking "something will happen"..any suggestions. Thanks so much for any advice in advance.

xanx seems to fit the bill lol

Just got back so its fresh in my mind

Wished we had :

1) More extensive medical kit. I took all the ibuprophen in it, ended up needing to buy Dristan (for sinus) and had hoped for Pepto for an upset tummy (not from sea sickness but something I ate). .

Just for the record Allure had a "vending machine" for basic meds in the medical bay - all the basics (acetaminophen, ibuprofen, bismuth, antihistamines, anti-Diarrheal, alka seltzer, polysporin, etc) for 50 cents per item. There was a huge bucket of meclazine (a reduced drowsy version of dramamine) above the vending machine for free as well.

I'm not sure if other ships (or even other RCI ships) have this machine, but I'm thinking Oasis has it as well, so the Oasis class are well stocked "just in case".

:Dsmall doo dads are important, wish I'd had bobby pins, safty pins, some duct tape, maybe a rubber band or two.

air freshner, my HB laughed at me for bringing it, but he used it more then I...;)

LOVE a balcony, its our own little haven

LOTS of $1 bills for tips and buying small things in port. We brought $150 for a 5 day and used most of it, but also were very "giving" with our tips when a job is well done.

Find a bar(tender) you like and become a repeat, strike up conversations, you will find you get a better drink each time you visit (and not just because you are getting tipsier) also, the bartender on our last cruise had all kinds of little "mind" bender type games that were great fun.

HAVE FUN, youv seen it said before, a cruise is what you make it, enjoy

This is my third cruise, but I can't remember if there are iron's in the room incase formal wear wrinkled?

Not on any cruise I've ever hear of. A few have laundry rooms with irons available to passengers, but most prohibit them entirely. You can usually send your clothing out for pressing only for half the cost of cleaning--$1 for a shirt, $3 for a suit, etc.

This is my third cruise, but I can't remember if there are iron's in the room incase formal wear wrinkled?

Not on the RCI Oasis class ships, no..and I think all of RCI's other ships are the same. Can't speak for other cruise lines.

Too much of a fire hazard, I'm guessing.

We just hung up our dress clothing in the bathroom and had a few long, hot showers back to back. The steam pretty much took care of the suitcase rash.

Edited by Oshawapilot

irons and candles are prohibited on the ships. as mentioned there should be a laundry room on the decks with irons you can use. i take a small travel size bottle of wrinkle releaser with me too spray any wrinkles.

criseaver...I understand completely what you mean about loud music and not so "family friendly" on the Carnival Conquest. In my cruising experience, it has everything to do with which cruise line you sail. Carnival has always been knows as being all about loud music, drinking & party, party, party. In my opinion, they cater to the young adults, and some older adults, who love that lifestyle. Some of the other cruise lines aren't so much into that "lifestyle", many actually. If you are sailing on the Conquest because of it sailing from Galveston, Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas, and beginning in Nov. this year the Mariner of the Seas, are better choices. Then from Dec. 2012 till April 2013 Princess will be sailing the Crown Princess from Galveston. These are much better choices! It's unfortunate that you were not given sufficient information by your travel agent so that you could have made a more acceptable choice for your family. Disney would probably be the most "family friendly" cruise line, but I don't know what age your children are.

I'm really sorry that your cruise experience wasn't what you wanted or expected, but don't give up yet; try again with another cruise line and I bet you'll find exactly what you're looking for.

Blessings,

kruzkween

Great advice!! It seems you fall on the more conservative end of things and I agree Disney would probably be a great cruise for ya'll.

That's why it tastes funny. Water gets it's 'flavor' from the minerals and such in it.

Water shouldn't have a taste. Some people forget that. ;)

The only problem some people have with desalinized (distilled) water is that sometimes the PH gets out of whack, and unless corrected it can cause stomach upset in people susceptible to such.

I got a laugh when investigating the subject and I came across a website where someone said that "Distilled water tastes horrible!". To the contrary - regular water tastes "horrible" (to some)....distilled water has NO taste, and it's the lack of taste to some that is perceived as "bad". To the contrary, IMHO - I find a tall cold glass of distilled water quite refreshing.

Edited by Oshawapilot

Bring less shoes... (this is mainly for the ladies) ;)

I have it down to my critical 4 (pack 3 wear 1) - and that is saying a lot for me, I am a shoe HOUND. :o I refuse to wear anything that is uncomfortable or ugly. I have found what I think is perfection in these 4 that are both super comfy and super cute!

1 - Gold & Silver strappy wedge heel sandals by Sofft (these go with every color casual outfit, esp sundresses)

2 - Black Teva Wedge Heel Sandals (great for shore excursions or serious walking, they are what I wear on the plane)

3 - Black Satin Strappy High Heel Sandals with a Swarovski Crystal Buckle (3 inch heels, and they go with all the cocktail dresses that I bring)

4 - Silver Havaiana Flip Flops (these are for poolside & anytime the shoes above don't cover :))

Thanks for all the tips guys, This will be my first cruise and I am soooo excited and am reading/searching for any info that is of use, I am a single mother and I am taking MY mother with me on Carnival Conquest April 8th, We CANNOT wait!! funds are low so any suggestions will be great! :D