"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

There is a light on in the hallway all the time. This will come into your room under the door. I kept a book light in the bathroom so I didn't have to turn on the glaring bathroom light at night. Worked out great.

Thanks to all for the light suggestions.

Happy Cruising !

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from I am not a light packer :) I agree with all of the above.

1. Plan and research but go with the flow. Not everythin is going to go perfectly but don't sweat a missed port or brief rainstorm.

2. When ordering, ask the crew for advice. They usually know what's the best.

3. Research the cruiseline policies before you go. Some allow you to bring on alcohol or bottled water and this can save you money in the long run. We brought on wine and just asked for glasses at a bar...not that we didn't purchase other alcohol.

4. Do something you would never do otherwise. It might be an adventurous excursion, karaoke or a new food. But try something new!

5. Use your cabin safe and research how it works. I bring an old gift card for mine.

We've always been given emergency numbers for ships in our Information packet.

Our prepaid cells work everywhere (even in the middle of the Atlantic on a TA cruise) and in Canada......but...........not so well in Mexico. I go into one of those "phone buildings" and call home and then have THEM call me back. My 'phone receives in Mexico but can't call out. The call from the call center costs less than fifty cents.

What kind of prepaid cell do you use.

Random thoughts based on what I've seen, plus heard from others.

Arrive in your port city the night before. Next morning, leave hotel around 10am. You'll be on the ship before you know it.

Don't eat breakfast on boarding morning. Food is available as soon as you board. And don't eat until you are full, at any meal. You may want to grab a hot dog or doughnut on the boardwalk later.

Bring a highlighter or two to mark up the cruise compass so you don't miss something you want to do.

Let the ship photographers take lots of pictures of you. It costs nothing, unless you buy. You can prepay for the CD on some cruises making it worth more, the more you take.

Go to the port/shopping show, but don't go to the stores they recommend. They do have helpful hints on how to get around and areas to avoid. Or better, catch it on the ship TV channel (what we did). They usually replay this before you arrive at port. And get the port map/handouts. Also available as you disembark or at the shopping desk.(Side note, I thought it funny when the shopping expert would give you names of the owner/managers to ask for to get the 'special' discount on that $5000 Stingray version Tag Heuer watch or the diamond bracelet.)

If you check your bags at the ship, you won't get them until sometimes after 3/4pm. Carry on a small bag with bathing suit, etc. if you want to hop in the pool after you grab lunch.

Explore the ship as soon as you board. 1st stop, find the dining room and floor. Dining room is typically on multiple levels. And locate your table. Makes it easy when arriving the first time for dinner (unless you have my time dining, or don't eat in there). I recommend eating there a few times, the food service is very good.

If going to a show, arrive early. Even if you have reservations since they release those to walk-ups 15min prior. Know where the theatre is.

Don't pay for food, unless there's something really unique. You already paid for food in your ticket.

As for buying soda/water package, you don't need this unless addicted to soda. There's plenty of free options. Plus you can bring your own and have it in the room on occasion. We did this.

Have the room steward clear out all the food and drinks in your mini bar/fridge. You can use it for your own stuff then. Plus I got charged for a water I didn't drink because they didn't re-stock it properly from the previous cruise, or the steward took it.

Make sure the name on your reservation/ticket matches your identification documents, passport, etc. exactly. I've seen people who's secretary made the reservation and the names didn't match. They stayed home. Or newlyweds...

If traveling with underage children and the other parent is not going (or divorced), have a letter signed by them saying it's OK to leave the country, unless you can prove you have sole custody.

Catch at least one sunset and take pictures. I wish I had done this more.

If you like pistacio ice cream and it's not on the menu that night, ask for it, you may be surprised. I was.

On cruising days, get to the pool early if you want a chair.

Don't loose your towel, or you will pay for it.

Bring a water bottle. You can also fill this up with lemonade or juice from the cafe.

Dress up for formal night, it's fun. Plus you can get your picture made (unless you have a terrible sunburn, then skip it).

Confirm your watch is the same as the ships clock before getting off.

Excursions, book with the cruise line unless it is close by. If cancelled by weather, you get $$ back. If it makes you late for the ship, the ship will wait. If you book on your own and are late, you can wave to ship as it leaves you. Hope you have $$ and a passport with you.

In port, beware of street vendors, or pushy salesmen. Learn how to say no and mean it.

If you have an early flight home, disembark early and carry your bags with you.

Don't push. Hey old guy, you know who you are....

Have fun.

I feel I am a big tipper and tip very well for service. I like to personally tip for good service and to have a connection to the people I am tipping. I am now going on a Carnival Cruise that is pre paid tipping, but they say you an adjust the tips up or down. Can I go and move that $12 or $13 a day down to like $5 a day and tip the people who help us out as I normally would? I know I will spend more by tipping people individually and generously, but that's the way I like handling it.

1. Bring walkie talkie just in case each of you decide to do something different from one another.

2. Bring a small carry on pouch (around your neck) or a waist pouch so that you can carry your ship pass (room key) around the ship. (you get get them at the dollar store)

3. Bring a highlighter to mark which ship activities you want to attend from your daily events list. Highlighting the event that you want to attend is helpful and gets you there on time especially on sea day where there are lots of planned activities.

4. Bring a water bottle, that way, you will always have water available in the room. Depending on how much room your cabin stewards has to do, your ice bucket does not get filled regulary.

5. Do tip if you order room service, a dollar or 2 helps.

6. Research on the ports of call is helpful, this website is godsend!

Enjoy! Have Fun! Don't sweat the small stuff!:D

Yes, you can reduce the autotip. However, the people you tip will then be required to put the cash you give into the tipping pool. In addition, the cabin steward and waiter if you have traditional dining will be called in to explain what they did to make you mad.

I feel I am a big tipper and tip very well for service. I like to personally tip for good service and to have a connection to the people I am tipping. I am now going on a Carnival Cruise that is pre paid tipping, but they say you an adjust the tips up or down. Can I go and move that $12 or $13 a day down to like $5 a day and tip the people who help us out as I normally would? I know I will spend more by tipping people individually and generously, but that's the way I like handling it.

As long as you are a big tipper, why not leave the 12 or 13 dollars on there and just tip extra anyway?

Most of us consider the auto tip to be a floor rather than a ceiling. If you remove the auto tip the people you do tip are required to turn what you gave them into the pool, so actually they get less. You can still give your waiter, bartender, cabin stewards, or anyone else (except an officer) an additional tip at the end of your cruise. Traditionally this was done in a plain white envelope, but now I think it is also passed as folding money in a handshake, or with a note of thanks.

So if you get just the service you would expect, there is no need to tip more, but for those who have enhanced your cruising experience, it's nice to show your appreciation.

Pack less (wish I would have known BEFORE I got hit with an overweight bag fee).

Avoid the Port Shopping class...I spent more time trying to find the "freebies" than enjoying the ports of call.

If you do Anytime Dining, call early for reservation times (an hour wait will make you crabby).

Enjoy at least one sunrise and sunset....best pictures from our cruise!

Most of all...it is your vacation! Relax and enjoy yourself, don't make yourself crazy trying to see and do it all!

Because I feel like if get great service and want to give my waiter $50.00 or $60.00 at the end of the week (and bartender, and waiter assistant, and steward, and matre di, and etc.) then I should be able to. I don't want to tip someone who knows they are getting tipped, no matter what they do. If I go to a restaurant I don't tip the waiter three tables over, I tip my waiter.

Because I feel like if get great service and want to give my waiter $50.00 or $60.00 at the end of the week (and bartender, and waiter assistant, and steward, and matre di, and etc.) then I should be able to. I don't want to tip someone who knows they are getting tipped, no matter what they do. If I go to a restaurant I don't tip the waiter three tables over, I tip my waiter.

And guess what? They give part of the tip to the busy boy and oothers who help them. Otherwise, their customers will not get served prompty.

Well, if they turn in the money as people have said, wouldn't they be required to turn in the money I over tip either way??? I'm a liitle confused there?

If you leave ont the autotip, they keep any extra you give them.

If you turn off or reduce the autotip, they must turn in any cash you give. They get back any in excess of the autotip.

Gosh the auto tip is not that much, just leave it in place and tip your extra.. It's a hassle for the crew if you remove it, they will get questioned about their service...and hassle with turning in the extra you give and then getting some back....

I totaly agree - if one (including me) can afford to go on a cruse, one can afford the tip.

Those people working on a cruise ship make a lot less money than we do!!!

There is a reason why being stingy is also called "mean!" :(

I totaly agree - if one (including me) can afford to go on a cruse, one can afford the tip.

Those people working on a cruise ship make a lot less money than we do!!!

There is a reason why being stingy is also called "mean!" :(

Another agreer (is that a word?) here. Always leave the autotip & often give extra.

After all the cruises we've been on I still found stuff on this thread that I thought, "Gee, that's a great idea!" Thank You OP for starting it off!

Now for my thoughts:

1. Planning is Key!!! : the better you plan before you leave the more relaxing you can do when you get there!

Example #1: on our first cruise I simply looked at the excursions and booked what I wanted not realizing that every single one left early in the morning...being a very port intensive cruise we never even had a chance to sleep in. Now we look at times and decide if we're willing to get up early one or two days or not.

Example #2: When packing, I now figure out what I'm going to wear every day and each day goes in it's own ziplock bag. That way I know I didn't over or under pack and when I'm done wearing it all goes back in it's ziplock bag and into the suitcase under the bed. By the end of the cruise I'm all packed back up except for the toiletries and what clothes I'm wearing for debarkation.

Example #3: I now put all my documents & notes in a 1/2 inch binder with a few plastic sheet holders for special stuff we get a long the way (ie. photos purchased). Now everything is nicely organized in one spot and our photos don't get all bent and yucky.

Granted we most likely do all these things because of my OCD but in the end it makes life and our vacation that much better!:)

All of these tips are great. Just remember pick and choose what works for you and don't worry about the rest. One of the things that makes cruising so fun is that you can customize it to what you enjoy!!

I have to say, we love a balcony. We really enjoy sitting there in the morning drinking coffee and in the evening with a glass of wine in our pjs before bed. Definitely worth the extra money for us.

One of the funnest things we did was to take along bubbles to blow from our balcony. The kids had fun doing it and you could hear lots of others on their balconies laughing and enjoying it too.

Happy cruising!!

Example #2: When packing, I now figure out what I'm going to wear every day and each day goes in it's own ziplock bag. That way I know I didn't over or under pack and when I'm done wearing it all goes back in it's ziplock bag and into the suitcase under the bed. By the end of the cruise I'm all packed back up except for the toiletries and what clothes I'm wearing for debarkation.

Example #3: I now put all my documents & notes in a 1/2 inch binder with a few plastic sheet holders for special stuff we get a long the way (ie. photos purchased). Now everything is nicely organized in one spot and our photos don't get all bent and yucky.

LOVE these ideas!

Granted we most likely do all these things because of my OCD but in the end it makes life and our vacation that much better!:)

My in-laws (mother & sisters) agreed that traveling with an obsessive planner (i.e. ME) on our first cruise was definitely the way to go!!! ;) Good planning makes things so much easier -- or so I keep telling my immediate family, who I drive nuts!!!!! :D

I am so sad that this thread has ended! I've been reading it for three days!

You should see my excel spreadsheet with categories and sub categories for things to remember.

...and I have 16 months until I even go on my first cruise!

Off to research ports and my specific ship now!

I have to say, we love a balcony. We really enjoy sitting there in the morning drinking coffee and in the evening with a glass of wine in our pjs before bed. Definitely worth the extra money for us.

One of the funnest things we did was to take along bubbles to blow from our balcony. The kids had fun doing it and you could hear lots of others on their balconies laughing and enjoying it too.

Happy cruising!!

These both sound like great ideas to me! :)

To the person who said the pools use sea water. I seriously doubt that. Some pools are saltly because that is how they balance the chemicals. Many pools use chlorine as a chemical but it can smell bad. To avoid this but keep pools clean and sanitary some pools use salt. The chemical symbol for chlorine is CL, for salt it's NaCL. So, what happens is there is a kind of transmitter in the pool that changes the NaCL into CL and Na seperately. So you have the CL doing it's job without smelling and the salt is left over giving the pool a slightly salty flavor. But I try not to drink the pool water! :eek:

Quote:

"Sea water. They fill the pools when they leave port and generally drain them and keep them empty in port for safety. They seem to be purified somehow, but not sure of the method. They look like any other pool, but salty"

We used sea water in the pool on the ship I worked on.