"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

I am 35 days away from my very first cruise - off on Holland America Mexican Riviera with MIL and 2 SIL! I am a a big "organizer" and like to know the big things to do or avoid before hand! I'm the one who plans the route & stops on a road trip etc (OCD??? LOL). MIL is paying for our cruises but we are each responsible for our other charges. Having been burnt more than once, on other vacations, by surprise charges I am trying to avoid as much as I can :) I have devoured this site and made lots of notes!

Here's some questions though?

- 4 women in one stateroom! Any advice??

- Can we get extra copies of the daily activity newspaper? (1 SIL & I are scrapbookers!!)

- What are the "unpublished" things not to miss on the cruise?

- Do we need to get Mexican currency? Our ports are Cabo San Lucas & Puerto Vallarta. I've heard conflicting reports that say Mexican retailers may not take USD$ anymore. Will use Credit Card for most purchases but cash for small purchases.

I can't wait!!!

Try to get one more cabin.:eek:

Or start getting dressed about an hour earlier that usual. I have heard that some go to the spa and use the showers there...never have done that, but I guess it's an option.

There are usually extra newsletter in a holder by the pursers/customer service desk.

Secrets or hidden things would kind of depend on which cruiseline/ship you are on.

You might want to post your question about the Mexican Riviera Cruise on Holland America on this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171 That will take you to the Holland America Board hear on cruise critic. When you post it will be helpful to mention which cabin or category of cabin you are in because some have nice double sink bathrooms which will make your life easier.

One of the CC members who regularly cruises on HAL has a wonderful thread with pictures of many of the cabins on each ship. If you can't find your own cabin, you'll probably be able to find a similar one on your ship or one of the sister ships. I'm guessing you'll be on the Oosterdam. The sister ships are the Noordam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam. Here is the link the more pictures than you can imagine: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1054590

Have fun on your cruise. There will be afternoon teas available in the main dining room. You'll see them on your daily newsletter. It might be fun for your group to try them out early on your cruise so you'll have time to go back if you enjoy them.

Question to those who suggest wiping everything down in the cabin with Lysol-- do you normally do this also when you go to a hotel, or are the cabins on a cruise ship dirtier than what you would expect in a hotel? Also, do they get cleaned during the week (like a hotel) or is the room left alone? Thanks!

Yes I do.... and I do it to cars, and I wash all new bought clothes before wearing them...:rolleyes: and when I bought my house I was all over it with cleaning and sanitizing..... just something to give me peace of mind... they do come clean but it is just something extra I feel I have to do....;) germaphobic....:eek: perhaps, but one can't be too careful I believe.... :p especially on an enclosed vessel wit 2000+ people....:cool:

:D

My bum left ankle started with a fracture, and then two arthroscopies and then the tendon surgery!

Last year on the Ruby, I still had my big black boot/cast on my leg and a pretty little sandal on the other foot....very stylish! NOT!!

I traipsed through Pompeii, and Capri and Barcelona and Venice and Monaco and the Azores all in the boot....very interesting!! LOL :eek::p:rolleyes:;)

I had my air brace on my first cruise..... 8 weeks from the break I got a surprise gift of my first cruise from the hubs, he was sweating bullets when I broke it..... had already paid in full and was not up on travel insurance information.... but we still had a great time just couldn't do many excursions I would have liked to have done...;)

A couple of things: the food is not gourmet. It's good and plentiful but we had heard everybody raving about the food on a cruise ship and how wonderful it was and how you gain so much weight so we had very high expectations. The food is like banquet food-good but not great. (I don't have to cook it or clean up after it so it's that much better to me!)

I think that depends on the ship. I just got off a cruise and the food at dinner ranged from very good to exceptional (and gourmet). Lunches ranged from meh to excellent.

Don't bring so many clothes-nobody cares if you wear the same thing twice.

I totally agree! I'm taking everything I need for 17 days in a 20" roll on next year!

I'd say to plan on spending double what you think you will on board and on shore excursions.

Bring along any personal care items you need (especially feminine items!) as the selection in the ships shops is limited and they aren't open a lot of the time when you might really need them. Keep in mind that you'll likely take two showers a day, so plan accordingly as far as deoderant, face wash, etc. The ship provides shampoo, soap, conditioner, etc. You might want or need your own conditioner if you have really long or thick hair, but most people can do just fine using what is provided by the ship for a week or two. Your cabin steward will provide as much as you need.

You don't need an entire suitcase full of shoes. Period. You need one pair of dressy shoes or sandals, one pair of walking shoes or sandals, and if you will workout, one pair of sneakers. If you don't normally work out, chances you aren't going to do it on the cruise, so don't bother to haul all the stuff along.

And all that "what if" stuff? Leave it at home. The only "what if" stuff I bring is a couple days worth of DayQuil/NightQuil, Immodium, Zantac, and a small bottle of Advil plus a couple of Bandaids, safety pins, and a corkscrew. The ship will supply Bonnine for free if you need it. (I believe you can also get Advil or Tylenol for free from the dispensary.) I do suggest bringing a small flashlight--you should never travel anywhere without one--it could save your life in an emergency.

On my last cruise I forgot to bring a highlighter and never missed it. I also didn't have sticky notes, markers, tape, clips, earplugs, nightlights, extension cords (if you need a CPAP you will probably need one of these), a hairdryer (in the cabin and if anything got too hot), the list goes on. The lists of "what if" items I see on the Internet are laughable and would take up over a full suitcase to pack.

Leave the beach towels at home, they are provided. Unless you have special dietary needs, you don't need to bring any food with you. There is more food on the ship than you can believe.

Edited by ducklite

You might want to post your question about the Mexican Riviera Cruise on Holland America on this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171 That will take you to the Holland America Board hear on cruise critic. When you post it will be helpful to mention which cabin or category of cabin you are in because some have nice double sink bathrooms which will make your life easier.

One of the CC members who regularly cruises on HAL has a wonderful thread with pictures of many of the cabins on each ship. If you can't find your own cabin, you'll probably be able to find a similar one on your ship or one of the sister ships. I'm guessing you'll be on the Oosterdam. The sister ships are the Noordam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam. Here is the link the more pictures than you can imagine: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1054590

Have fun on your cruise. There will be afternoon teas available in the main dining room. You'll see them on your daily newsletter. It might be fun for your group to try them out early on your cruise so you'll have time to go back if you enjoy them.

Thanks TravelMatron!

Will post same message (with more cabin details ;) on the suggested board!

Thanks again

I wish I'd known how much I'd dislike the liquid soap in the showers. It just didn't feel the same as bar soap. On my first cruise, I bought a bar of soap at a drug store in our second-to-last port. Even though the cruise was almost over, I couldn't wait to stop using the liquid.

I leave tomorrow on my second cruise and yes, I am hauling a bar of Irish Spring all the way to Italy. It was on my non-negotiable list!

i keep seeing people saying to bring duct tape....can i ask what i may need that for? Sorry if someone mentioned it before..i only got to read about 10 pages and had to stop :)

i have read that duct tape is handy to keep doors shut to stop them from swinging open when they are not secure4d tightly. Mary

i have read that duct tape is handy to keep doors shut to stop them from swinging open when they are not secure4d tightly. Mary

Duct tape leaves marks and can destroy finishes. Wouldn't it be wiser to ask for maintenance to come to your room to make any needed repairs the first day as soon as you get into your cabin?

I've been on three cruises and only one had doors that didn't stay latched. It was a closet, and we used a towel as a door stop--problem solved.

Speaking of comfy dressy shoes...I've just returned from my first cruise. My feet are damaged from accidents and surgeries, and dressy shoes with heels are too uncomfortable. I bought a pair of Crocs Cleo sandals in solid black and wore them for all meals, formal nights and not, and around the pool and around the ship and not ONCE did anyone look at my feet with disdain.

They weigh absolutely nothing and I packed them in my carry-on in a baggy. They come in a wide variety of colors.

Here is their complete collection of women's sandals; there are several that you could wear for formal night and nobody would know the difference, then you could wear them at the pool and around the ship during the day. http://www.crocs.com/womens-footwear-sandals/women-footwear-sandals,default,sc.html?sz=37

109%20CLEO.jpg

Edited by DebbyDiver

I'm not a "first time" cruiser but it will be almost 5 years from our last cruise (B2B in the Caribbean) to this one and so I feel like I've forgotten a lot of stuff! A couple of things I remember reading way back when that was soo helpful on my first few (and I'll be reading all of this board to remind myself of tips I've forgotten!)

1) If you prefer to dine alone (or in a certain size group) the maitre'd is stationed during the first afternoon for seating arrangements. You can check with them and see what size table, where it is located, confirm time, etc. and make changes as you desire. DH and I prefer to eat alone and have always been able to switch to a 2 top.

2)If you are not planning on purchasing the beverages in your room, leave a note and ask your room steward to remove them the first afternoon. Then you can store all your own beverages in the fridge without worrying about being charged!

3)Bring 2 empty water bottles on board. You can fill them with the free drinks (tea, lemonade, etc) to enjoy while off the ship.

4)Buy one of those cheap, collapsible laundry bags at the dollar store. They store flat in your suitcase and are great for storing dirty clothes so you don't have to keep dragging your suitcase out!

5)Take some time the first day to explore the whole ship. You'll find out quickly where the "hot spots" are and where you can get some quiet time in too and don't find a fun spot on your last day that you would've used the whole trip!

I love this thread. So much great information, I wouldn't have thought of lots of these things on my own. Now to decide what to bring without having overweight luggage for the plane lol. Keep up with the awesome suggestions.

Thanks everyone :)

Duct tape leaves marks and can destroy finishes. Wouldn't it be wiser to ask for maintenance to come to your room to make any needed repairs the first day as soon as you get into your cabin?

I've been on three cruises and only one had doors that didn't stay latched. It was a closet, and we used a towel as a door stop--problem solved.

You usually find this out when you encounter rough seas. I only call maintenance for middle of the night repairs if it is bathroom/plumbing related. Many have said that the drawers were fine until the ship started rocking.

Duck tape= problem solved.

I wish I'd known how much I'd dislike the liquid soap in the showers. It just didn't feel the same as bar soap. On my first cruise, I bought a bar of soap at a drug store in our second-to-last port. Even though the cruise was almost over, I couldn't wait to stop using the liquid.

I leave tomorrow on my second cruise and yes, I am hauling a bar of Irish Spring all the way to Italy. It was on my non-negotiable list!

I'm with you on that. I used the gel in the showers on Carnival and while they "okay", I still prefer a good bar of deodorant soap and I'll be taking my Safeguard Coconut Bar with me for 14 -days to Hawaii.

I have always ordered 2 or 3 appetizers of shrimp and escargot.

Many times I also order 2 entres.

The first thing I do at dinner the first night is ask when they are serving escargot (find out if I can get it every night) and let them know that whenever it is being served, I will be wanting two orders.

Last Carnival (on the Magic) they had them twice and fixed differently each night. Had two of them both times and was in heaven...............:)

I've learned to bring a number of smaller memory cards (1g) for my camera. I put a new one in the camera at each different port. Two cruises ago I put my camera down in the giftshop on the very last day and when I went back after noticing that I didn't have it, it was gone. Someone had walked off with it and with every picture I had taken throughout the cruise. I was devestated. We left the ship that afternoon with not one picture of the great trip that we had. Since then I have taken a number of smaller memory cards, that way if I lose my camera or someone steals it, I still have some memories.

Suzyed and Scecy - check out amazon.com - I have a difficult to find size as well and have ordered from them and they are great. I had a look and if you go under shoes, womens, sandals and then dressy there are all kinds of dressy flats and low heels in many sizes including size 9. I take a size 4 in women's. They will also have great deals on here - The last low heeled dress sandal I bought on there was originally $250 and I got them for $40. I love them! Also, many of the shoes will have reviews so if you have something to watch out for (I have a high instep) you can usually see if the shoes are right for you.

Footsmart.com is a great source of shoes for those of us with "problem" feet. They have all types of shoes; dressy, casual, sandals, boots, athletic, etc. They also have a terrific return policy if something you buy doesn't work out. They really do have some cute, FLAT styles.

One thing I've learned while traveling, ALWAYS take my camera with me. Too many times I've left it in my cabin, only to wish I had it for a photo op. Now, I take it with me wherever I go!! Never know when those "Kodak moments" will happen.

Moleskin. I never leave home without it. Even wearing well "broken-in" shoes, I can develop blisters. At the first sign of irritation, a little moleskin prevents a blister. I carry it with me (in my camera bag ;) ), already cut to various sizes that I can use at a moment's notice.

Edited by Shebba

I've learned to bring a number of smaller memory cards (1g) for my camera. I put a new one in the camera at each different port. Two cruises ago I put my camera down in the giftshop on the very last day and when I went back after noticing that I didn't have it, it was gone. Someone had walked off with it and with every picture I had taken throughout the cruise. I was devestated. We left the ship that afternoon with not one picture of the great trip that we had. Since then I have taken a number of smaller memory cards, that way if I lose my camera or someone steals it, I still have some memories.

That is a great idea. Similar thing happened to me. We were in Rome for 3 days and then got on the ship. 175 pictures in I traded out my memory card for a new one. Never got home with the first 175 pics even though I put the card into the new plastic of the one I opened and put in the camera. Was able to piece together most of the trip due to a friend with me but there are always those shots that I took and loved and she didn't.

Shebba,

I've never heard of Moleskin. Sounds like something very useful. Please tell me what it is and where to buy it. How is it different and/or better than an band-aid?

kruzkween

Dr. Scholl's section in any grocery or drug store. Also grab a pair of kids safety scissors to cut it to size.