"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

I've learned to bring a number of smaller memory cards (1g) for my camera. I put a new one in the camera at each different port. Two cruises ago I put my camera down in the giftshop on the very last day and when I went back after noticing that I didn't have it, it was gone. Someone had walked off with it and with every picture I had taken throughout the cruise. I was devestated. We left the ship that afternoon with not one picture of the great trip that we had. Since then I have taken a number of smaller memory cards, that way if I lose my camera or someone steals it, I still have some memories.

What a great idea! I usually bring an extra memory card(bigger one with more memory), but the idea to use a new one at each port is one I will definitely think about doing!!

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Footsmart.com is a great source of shoes for those of us with "problem" feet. They have all types of shoes; dressy, casual, sandals, boots, athletic, etc. They also have a terrific return policy if something you buy doesn't work out. They really do have some cute, FLAT styles.

One thing I've learned while traveling, ALWAYS take my camera with me. Too many times I've left it in my cabin, only to wish I had it for a photo op. Now, I take it with me wherever I go!! Never know when those "Kodak moments" will happen.

Moleskin. I never leave home without it. Even wearing well "broken-in" shoes, I can develop blisters. At the first sign of irritation, a little moleskin prevents a blister. I carry it with me (in my camera bag ;) ), already cut to various sizes that I can use at a moment's notice.

Great ideas!! Thanks!!

Shebba,

I've never heard of Moleskin. Sounds like something very useful. Please tell me what it is and where to buy it. How is it different and/or better than an band-aid?

kruzkween

Moleskin is thick and padded. If you get a blister and pop a band-aid on it, it curls up, I find. A piece of Moleskin will stay on and on!

1. Read your cruise contract, especially the parts about cancellation and port/itinerary changes.

2. If you buy insurance, read that contract so you understand what it does and does not cover.

3. Take less clothes and more money. Corrollary: Buy fewer clothes in advance so you have more money to take.

4. Don't go to the Port and Shopping Guide talks.

5. You don't HAVE to do something in each port. You can always enjoy the ship amenities without a crowd.

Love the port and shopping talks......that's how I know what stores to STAY AWAY FROM!!;)

Smokers, nobody has mentioned this. Bring a small portable ashtray if you want to smoke on your balcony. There is nothing provided for butts and ashes and it's not nice to leave a mess for the steward to clean up.

(Militant non-smokers: please just don't reply...we've heard it all before.)

Where do I find the port and shopping talks?

On Princess, they offer shopping talks in the Princess theater, at least once during a 7-day cruise, and there will be a printed Port Guide delivered each evening to your cabin pertinent to the next-day's port. Princess also shows a tape of the shopping show on their on-board TV channel.

Smokers, nobody has mentioned this. Bring a small portable ashtray if you want to smoke on your balcony. There is nothing provided for butts and ashes and it's not nice to leave a mess for the steward to clean up.

(Militant non-smokers: please just don't reply...we've heard it all before.)

Good to know, thanks.

One of the best things is to leave everything in your room and walk around on board with just your room key/ID card. Just carry it around your neck and leave the purse, wallet in your room.

Don't worry about dress on formal night. Ladies, take one pair of nice black slacks and two nice tops.

I found the photos a good deal.

Don't be afraid to eat in the dining room. So much more relaxed than fighting the buffet. If you don't like what you got, go to the buffet then.

Read all of the newsletters in your room very night- one person complained they didn't know about the cookies cart served on one cruise, but it was right in the newsletter.

If you do use zip ties please remember to put a small pair of scissors in one of the outside pockets of your suitcase!!!! otherwise you wont be able to open your suitcase! just sayin' :rolleyes:

If you are flying though do not put them in your carry on bag as you are not allowed them :eek: put them in your checked luggage ;)

If you do use zip ties please remember to put a small pair of scissors in one of the outside pockets of your suitcase!!!! otherwise you wont be able to open your suitcase! just sayin' :rolleyes:

If you are flying though do not put them in your carry on bag as you are not allowed them :eek: put them in your checked luggage ;)

Nail clippers also work and can be carried on without a problem.

Where do I find the port and shopping talks?

Princess has the shopping talks for the ports that they visit often and therefore have agreements to recommend places. These are cruises to the Caribbean, Mexican Riviera and Alaska. They are in one of the lounges and are listed in the Princess Patter. We skip these as they are just commercials.

On cruises to more exotic locations, there are no shopping talks, but they do have port talks. These are also in a lounge and announced in the Princess Patter. We have found most of these to be very good.

Speaking of comfy dressy shoes...I've just returned from my first cruise. My feet are damaged from accidents and surgeries, and dressy shoes with heels are too uncomfortable. I bought a pair of Crocs Cleo sandals in solid black and wore them for all meals, formal nights and not, and around the pool and around the ship and not ONCE did anyone look at my feet with disdain.

They weigh absolutely nothing and I packed them in my carry-on in a baggy. They come in a wide variety of colors.

Here is their complete collection of women's sandals; there are several that you could wear for formal night and nobody would know the difference, then you could wear them at the pool and around the ship during the day. http://www.crocs.com/womens-footwear-sandals/women-footwear-sandals,default,sc.html?sz=37

109%20CLEO.jpg

I had no idea that Crocs had such pretty sandals. Thanks.

On our first cruise, with DW and then teenaged daughter, we found one small bathroom caused obvious difficulties when everyone wants to primp up for dinner. So I took my stuff to the locker room. I wasn't the only guy who did this. Sitting in the steam bath or sauna followed by a shower with no one complaining that you're taking too long, and shaving with a mirror that isn't fogged up by shower steam, what could be wrong with that?

I didn't take my good clothes, but simply wore a bath robe and then changed when I got back to the room.

The end result: no one got annoyed with each other.

Conclusion: gentlemen...get out of the way...everyone, including (especially) you, will be happier.

AMC

Carnival Inspiration 2004

Carnival Triumph 2008

Carnival Miracle 2008

Carnival Freedom 2011

• 2 weeks later...

Mesh shower organizer:) Got it at Walmart

The hook on it allows you to hang it over the rail of the shelves in the bathroom. Helped me to keep organized and find things easily. Will always take it every time now!!!!!

Tried the over the door shoe organizer and the closet door would not shut/stay shut. Folded it back up, brought it home & sold it a garage sale:(

Getting excited......going on 3rd cruise next week.

Culygrljax

594271571_Meshshowerorganizer.jpg.c2ee6e44e66cdedf88b713455db98941.jpg

Mesh shower organizer:) Got it at Walmart

The hook on it allows you to hang it over the rail of the shelves in the bathroom. Helped me to keep organized and find things easily. Will always take it every time now!!!!!

Tried the over the door shoe organizer and the closet door would not shut/stay shut. Folded it back up, brought it home & sold it a garage sale:(

Getting excited......going on 3rd cruise next week.

Culygrljax

what area in Walmart did you find the mesh organizer? I like it!

for the over the door shoe organizer I put it on the bathroom door and there are no problems closing the door. I put it on the inside of the bathroom but thinking this next time maybe putting it on the outside so when there is something I want to get I can get it without having to bother the person in the bathroom.

Think I had to really look, it may have been with the camping supplies, not bath area where you would expect it. I actually may buy another for my mom. She is going with us next week and they also booked a 24 day Mediterranean Cruise for their 50th wedding anniversary. I will pop back in and let you know where I find it this time :)

Curlygrljax

I am 35 days away from my very first cruise - off on Holland America Mexican Riviera with MIL and 2 SIL! I am a a big "organizer" and like to know the big things to do or avoid before hand! I'm the one who plans the route & stops on a road trip etc (OCD??? LOL). MIL is paying for our cruises but we are each responsible for our other charges. Having been burnt more than once, on other vacations, by surprise charges I am trying to avoid as much as I can :) I have devoured this site and made lots of notes!

Here's some questions though?

- 4 women in one stateroom! Any advice??

There are nice showers in the spa area which can be used by anyone. They are larger too.

- Can we get extra copies of the daily activity newspaper? (1 SIL & I are scrapbookers!!)

yes by the guest services deck

-

Bring magnet clips, as the ship is metal they stick to the walls. They can be used to hold the daily papers off of the desk to reduce clutter. On my next voyage I intend to see if I can hang the shoe rack on the wall using command removable hooks and magnets. For long cruises I pack cascading hangers that hold 5 pair of pants or skirts to maximize closet space.

Kit

I was having a conversation regarding bags and purses so I thought I'd put together my thoughts.

I cannot overemphasize the importance of a cross-body bag. It's so nice to have what you need but still have your hands free. Also, don't waste your money on bags that have no closure or only have one snap. A have a friend who lost her iphone with one of those - someone just reached in when she set her bag down. Zippers are best. And you don't need the most expensive one on the block. My mom tried to talk me into buying a Vera Bradley bag that was $58 plus tax. I ended up buying a one of etsy that with shipping was $29 - half the price. The bag is nicely padded so it'll be great for my iPod/e-reader on the plane and my camera in port.

This is the bag that I ended up getting. I love etsy because I like helping the "little guy" and you'll have something that not everyone else will have.

I also plan on packing one of these. Same premise the previous bag but smaller. Perfect for just being on ship. I'm one of those people who can't go out without a bag because there are things I need often - lip gloss, tissues, room key, etc. Those little things fit perfectly in this smaller bag.

I have a bag from this shop that I don't think I'll be bringing (if I do it'll be strictly carry-on). But I wanted to mention it for anyone planning on bringing an SLR camera. I have one but plan on leaving it at home in favor of my smaller point-and-shoot camera. I'm a big advocate of not "advertising" what you have. I love this camera bag because it doesn't LOOK like a camera bag. You're not saying to people "I'm carrying an expensive camera". I took this bag on a trip to Texas over the summer and it did me very well. It was my carry-on for the plane and for the few baseball games I attended while in town. It looks like a purse but it's very nicely padded. This is the particular bag that I own which doesn't appear to be shown on her page anymore. So, if you prefer this style I would recommend messaging her through etsy.

Edited by Eris0303