Live from ... Cruise Critic's Caribbean Kick-Off on Crown Princess (11/7 - 14)

Dan Askin

We had the opportunity to take part in Princess' "Ultimate Ship Tour" earlier this week. This is total backstairs stuff, an approximately three-hour tour -- through galley and bridge, laundry and print shop -- offered once per cruise. Anyone who's interested can sign up for one of 12 spots, and if more than 12 sign up, places are chosen by lottery. The purser told me it's not often that more than 12 sign up. It is, after all, $149 per person.

For the price, you get a look at the Princess Theater dressing room (no one's changing; that'd be extra), the galley (with a glass of Champagne), some foodstuffs storage rooms (need somewhere to keep the 32,000 bottles of beer consumed during a seven-night Caribbean cruise), the photo lab (crew here have pale skin and large pupils), print shop (menus, daily programs, spa price lists), the medical center (a seven-bed hospital), the engine control room, the laundry (great smell), the funnels (not as great smell) and the bridge (more Champagne served here). Needless to say, you climb all over the ship and are totally exhausted by the end.

It's a bit of factoid inundation -- amount of fuel burnt is 320,000 gallons a week, number of lobsters consumed on formal night is 5,000 for 3,000-plus passengers, height to top of smokestacks is 221 feet -- but it's fascinating stuff for anyone who's wondered what it takes to operate a ship the size of Crown Princess.

Our version was a bit longer than the three-hours advertised (it was more like 5) because Princess added the recycling plant and a Q&A from the environmental officer onboard, and, well, press people ask a lot of questions. One thing I should mention ... a little sheepishly ... but the line does not allow you to photograph anything on the tour. So here are some shots:

Crown-Princess-Recycling.jpg

Some might know that ships like Crown Princess have recycling capabilities onboard ... but did you know that it's your room steward's responsibility to pick through the trash from his rooms, and remove any glass, aluminum, batteries, lighters, etc.? That's environmental officer Pete Smith providing the details with unnamed crewmember hard at work.

Crown-Princess-Hospital.jpg

This is one of the beds in Crown Princess' seven-slot hospitals (plus, there's a three-slot "morgue"; life goes on on a cruise, said the chief medical officer with a sigh). A poster asked earlier about precautions relating to H1N1. At this point, the line isn't treating H1N1 all that differently from seasonal flu (although he mentioned a possible crew vaccination coming in December). On our particular sailing, passengers are still serving themselves in the buffet (when the crew starting ladling out the potatoes au gratin, you know something's up) and the obsessive hand-cleaning protocol is definitely not in visible effect. One interesting note that I hadn't heard mentioned before: The chief medical officer mentioned that people who lived through the 1958 flu epidemic -- an H1N1 variant; a decent number of that demo are onboard -- have limited immunity and so are less likely to get the new strain.

Crown-Princess-Plates.jpg

More an appeal than a threat, this galley sign reminds waitstaff and cooks to be careful with Princess' plateware, lest any oafish servers cut into the company's bottom line. Executive Chef Giuseppe Pollara said no one would actually be docked any pay if they broke a dish ... the posting is more about encouraging mindfulness.

Thanks for the reports, I enjoyed reading them. I will be on the Crown next August.

I just watched the Oasis of the Seas come into Ft Lauderdale. They had it live on GMA. Looks like that will be an extra busy port this weekend.

Crown-Princess-Cappuccino.jpg

In the engine control room, we discussed gray (showers, sinks, potable) vs. black water (sewage), how many generators it takes to run the ship (3; there are six total), Crown Princess' fuel consumption (1,200 tons a week) ... and that Italian officers must have their cappuccino.

Crown-Princess-Booze.jpg

One note about alcohol: Ships have to stock very different amounts of booze depending on the itinerary -- much more wine for the large number of Europeans sailing in the Mediterranean, beer for the younger Caribbean crowd.

Crown-Princess-Print-Shop.jpg

One thing I've always been curious about is who actually writes the daily program, which on Crown Princess (and all Princess ships for that matter) is called "Princess Patter." Turns out it's the cruise director, deputy cruise director and first purser administration. They then each proof the copy before it's published.

Note: For a Princess Cays photo essay, head back to page three (scroll down).

Stingray_City_002.jpg

Stingray_City_005.jpg

Bob and Deb had asked about stingray city, Grand Cayman's astoundingly popular shore excursion, and the dolphin encounter.

I found Stingray City pretty surreal ... after tendering from Crown Princess, we bussed it, then boated it out to a sandbar ... where we joined a flotilla of nine other boats, all anchored in a circle to form a bobbing boat-bordered pool. Ours alone had 48 people onboard. Grab your included mask and snorkel and hop out off the stern into the tepid water. Don't let the absence of rays in the first photo fool you ... they're all over the place, brushing up against you with slimy bodies (shrieking from the more unsettled swimmers was not uncommon), darting between legs and under snorkelers suspended in dead man's float. The rays are literally layered on top of one another when the food (squid, shrimp) makes an appearance. The creature is so docile that one of the guides literally held it for the entire 45 minutes we were in the water, answering questions while he and ray embraced (Q: Who eats them? A: Predators -- tiger sharks, hammerheads, others -- come for a nightly feast.). You can hold it, feed it, kiss it.

One note: The excursion was offered through Princess for $49. Frankly, I don't see a reason why you should pay $49 when you can pay $40 for a trip that includes a secondary (and sometimes tertiary) snorkeling stop at a nearby reef. Moby Dick Tours is rated number one on Trip Advisor, so that might be an option.

As to Adagios, I've been to this dimly lit top-ship bar a few times now, and I think it's the best spot onboard for those looking for quiet pre-dinner chat (there's some piano tinkling, too, but volume's down). Along with the bar list (lots of martinis options), they offer olives stuffed with bleu cheese, garlic, etc.

We, too, have enjoyed the atmosphere of quiet elegance in Adagio. A relaxing place for reading a book or a quiet chat.

Hi Dan,

I am shocked to see how many people are in your Stingray City excursion photo. The crowd alone would be enough to keep me away -- it looks like it wouldn't be difficult to get kicked in the face by a random stranger while snorkeling. Did you get to feed the rays yourself or did the staff feed them?

What was your favorite excursion from the whole cruise?

Thanks for keeping us so updated! Love the behind-the-scenes photos.

Dan

This has been a great thread all week...I can't wait till you come back and have more time to write about your weeks experience. You probably didn't get much rest/relaxation answering all of our questions. We do appreciate all the time and effort you took in responding to us. If its at all possible if you have copies of the Princess Patter that you could scan I'm sure everyone on this post would just love to see them. Again thank you for your updates it is truly appreciated.

Mimi

Dan, I too want to Thank You so much for your reports this week. Having done many Live from postings myself I know how much time it took and most likely double for you since you were doing this for CC and actually getting all the questions answered and pictures taken. I am sure you had little time for yourself.

Since I have been an avid HAL cruiser and will be doing our first Princess cruise on the Crown 9 short weeks from tomorrow I have appreciated your insight and advise. This truly has peaked my excitement for our cruise. :D

I'm on the Crown now....

Our cruise is winding down. This is our last day. People are crowded in the internet cafe trying to print out their boarding passes for their flights home.

I signed up for EZ Check as my flight is with Northwest. (Hopefully) I will be checked in and I won't see my baggage until I get off the plane at home. This is my first time having EZ Check available and I'm looking forward to not having to think about luggage. I love this.

Ship docked downtown at Cozumel yesterday, but that may not always be the case. We did have a revised itinerary. I heard crew members sounding impressed that we got to dock downtown. It was very handy.

Thursday Night Football on MUTS again last night. Personally disappointed with the MUTS viewing this cruise. There have been afternoon movies in the Princess Theater, but frankly I don't want to give up my day to sit inside in the theater.

Again, it was nice to meet up with my Cruise Critic roll call friends. Thanks to Dan for my souveniers. It's been a really nice relaxing cruise.

Hi Dan,

I am shocked to see how many people are in your Stingray City excursion photo. The crowd alone would be enough to keep me away -- it looks like it wouldn't be difficult to get kicked in the face by a random stranger while snorkeling. Did you get to feed the rays yourself or did the staff feed them?

That is about a normal crowd for mid-day at Stingray City, and in the half dozen times DH and I have had the pleasure of visiting with these amazing creatures, we have yet to see anyone who actually snorkeled. You cannot wear fins - bare feet only - and the water is waist to shoulder deep depending upon the sea conditions. Standing up is IMHO the best way to enjoy a frolic with the rays.

You can feed the rays yourself - the crew will show you how.

If you have opportunity to experience this, you will not regret it. They aren't really slimy, more like wet velvet, and they are as friendly as puppies!

That is about a normal crowd for mid-day at Stingray City, and in the half dozen times DH and I have had the pleasure of visiting with these amazing creatures, we have yet to see anyone who actually snorkeled. You cannot wear fins - bare feet only - and the water is waist to shoulder deep depending upon the sea conditions. Standing up is IMHO the best way to enjoy a frolic with the rays.

You can feed the rays yourself - the crew will show you how.

If you have opportunity to experience this, you will not regret it. They aren't really slimy, more like wet velvet, and they are as friendly as puppies!

Normal crowd is right -- with five cruise ships in port on Tuesday. Interestingly, we were originally scheduled to call in Grand Cayman on Monday (Ida changed that) ... and it would have just been us (and about 10k fewer cruisers as a result). Always pays to see who else is in port with you on any given day.

While we're on the subject -- Dan, if you could do the ship's pub tour crawl and tell us about it, that'd be great!

Carolyn

Aren't there labor laws protecting me from such requests? I kid, but I'll give it a shot tonight, starting at the top of the ship with Skywalker's.

Hi All at CC,

Having had a chance to talk to Dan a few times would just like to say how nice a bloke he is and has a real interest in finding out about what he is writing about, may be you should give him a drinks account so he can get the inside scope from the crew as they have so much to tell, but only after a few glasses.

yours Shogun

You are so welcome. I emailed Rony Bennet about the passes and I'm waiting for a reply.

I just hear from Rony Bennett. The Mayan Princess is still selling day passes for anyone that might have heard otherwise.

Thank you very much for the information. That is great news! I appreciate you taking the time to find out for us. :D

Don your white jacket (included), and parade through the main dining room during the dinner rush. Rule one as you enter the galley: Wash your hands. Rule two, stay out of this server's way (especially if he's carrying salad, which he's very protective of):

Crown-Princess-Chefs-Table-Angry-Waiter.jpg

On Crown Princesss' "Chefs Table," a $75 galley tour and dinner led by the ship's chef and maitre d', the goal is to showcase the inner-workings of the galley ... during the bustle of peak-hour operation (7 p.m.). The ship's top two men in dining lead the tour, and it's clear that this is one of their favorite things to do onboard (they told me so, as well). You simply don't get this kind of time and candor from ship's staff anywhere else. Francois told a woman in our tour that she "reminded him of his fifth wife" when she didn't eat the whole caviar canape in one bite (she ate half of the cracker). He also told the story of when his dog ate over a pound of top-quality, black market caviar. Enough said.

This is not an experience for the weak of gut -- after the extensive Q&A, where we learned everything from the cruise line's policy on facial hair (not good in the galley) to the amount of butter florettes served per cruise (nearly 45,000), the ensuing meal was the most calorie-laden I've ever had (running tally will accompany each course) ... but I don't imagine it's anything anyone needs to do twice. Here are some photos from the event.

Crown-Princess-Chefs-Table-Pate.jpg

On Crown Princess palette and pate don't often meet -- on average, there's just 25 kg consumed a day of the fresh-made goose liver spread (not much for the 3,123 passengers onboard). Americans just don't eat it, the chef told us. "Next time that horse will stay in the corral," joked fellow tourer "Frank the Bank" after a look at the tube of pate.

I was wondering if you had the time to take picture of interior of Crown .2 more weeks before we board so if you have a slide how of it I would appreciate it I'm glad you had a GREAT time in spite of the sometime naughty weather.

Bon RETOUR Home

Michele

Archived