NCL Dawn - Chef's Degustation Menu

AuntieBarb

My husband and I had the pleasure of attending the first presentation of the Chef's Degustation Menu aboard the NCL Dawn's 11/1/09 Repositioning Cruise. In our opinion, this is an event not to be missed !!!

Cost: $75 per person

One of the ship's top officer's will host this dining experience. Ours was to be hosted by the captain, but he was unable to attend due to an emergency leaving port. To our delight, our evening was hosted by Hugo.

The dinner is comprised of 5 courses, specially designed by the chef. Each course is paired with select wines. The portions were outstanding. The food was excellent. The company was delightful. The evening lasted for 3 hours!

The menu has been altered, thanks to suggestions from guests. The Sea Bass is now offered as a main entree, with a salad in its place. The Rack of Lamb has been replaced with Filet of Duck.

If this sounds like your "cup of tea", I strongly urge you to reserve a spot!

NCLDawnDegustationMenu0001.jpg

Thanks for posting the menu, Barb. Three hours of eating -- Tony will absolutely *love* this!:D

And, after all, Alain didn't have enough to do.;)

Barb, Alain was overflowing with pride and excitement as he presented each course. It was a remarkable meal.

Typically we'll have the same wine throughout dinner, but the wine pairing truly complimented each course.

Now if they rolled this event out fleetwide we would be so up for it!

Look forward to it. In the same fashion that the new menus were on trial aboard the Dawn, I understand the Chef's Degustation Menu will be offered on other ships if received well.

They've been running this on the Spirit for a few months now. Same concept, just called the Enchanted Dinner instead. Fantastic experience if you like food and wine.

So glad to see that they are rolling it out to other ships.

Where did they hold the dinner on the Dawn? On the Spirit it was in their Art Gallery which made for wonderful atmosphere.

Don, the gavage is an artisinal way of life in SW France. They go on to use the rest of the duck or goose for meat, fat and feathers. Unless you're a vegetarian (a lifestyle I admire and respect), where does one draw the line? What about the suffering of the lobster, boiled alive for the salad?

I wish this had been available on the Spirit last May, and hope it will be on the Gem in February!

Thank you, Auntie Barb, for posting the menu!

Just wish they had a better term for it. Degustation, a careful appreciative tasting of various foods) doesn't sound very appetizing. When I first read the thread title, I thought it was a typo and someone meant the Chief's Disgusting Menu.:D

Just wish they had a better term for it. Degustation, a careful appreciative tasting of various foods) doesn't sound very appetizing. When I first read the thread title, I thought it was a typo and someone meant the Chief's Disgusting Menu.:D

LOL I thought the exact same thing!:eek: It's just like the Chef's Table on Princess. :)

You made me LOL!:D

If you're talking about the Chief's menu, I'm sure it really *is* Disgusting.

I love chef's tasting menus. It's where chefs can really shine, showcasing their creative stuff. When I was on the X Summit we ate in The Normandie. The executive chef was a dear French man. He came out and met me and I got a nice photo.

Anyways, the dinner was magnifique! I decided to order his dessert sampler. I think it was a collection of seven bite size offerings. One was identified as "mint mousse". Darn if it didn't taste just like pepsident toothpaste! Hehe.

We'll be on the Dawn in a few weeks, lets hope they do it then..How and where do you sign up for it ??

So glad to see that they are rolling it out to other ships.

Where did they hold the dinner on the Dawn? On the Spirit it was in their Art Gallery which made for wonderful atmosphere.

They closed off a section between the back corners where Aqua and Impressions meet. Just sign up at the Reservations Desk.

LOL! :D Actually, the menu posted for it outside of Impressions said Chef's Gourmet Menu, which may have been what they called it at first. The one I posted was scrolled and placed at each place setting.

I was a "guinea pig" for this experiment before it went live. My menu is different (not by much) than yours. It's definitely a lot of food. Capt. Håkan Svedung was hosting. This was on the evening of the 8th.

Check your dailies! They will have it listed and make sure to hightail down and sign up because seating is limited!

Cheers,

Norman

Archived