Why so much complaining?

I do understand the poster and this is my short and simple summary...

Most of us work very hard for our dollars. I don't beleive that the majority of us feel our efforts in the workplace are compensated to us on mediocre performance and there are many of us who do "A" work with the understanding that this level of performance by our employers is a requirement and the accomplishement ina task-oriented environement is a source of self-pride in accomplishing that high of a level of discipline.

Therefore, when we pay out for a vacation a high rate, hard earned dollar, we do not accept to pay for mediocre, since we expect better than that. That is not an unreasonable expectation.

There are other cruise lines out there with rates commensurate with mediocre. Many of us are not sailing with them, they are sailing here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michuck:

Not sure I understand the "For the amount of money I am paying" poster. . . .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am paying a bit more than your final figure PER PERSON for the type of cabin in which I will be staying, and I am also paying an additional fee for my then 18 month old who does not eat $30 worth of food at a sitting (nor do we) much less in a day. I do not do entertainment and am not planning to.

Considering that the cost of my January 2005 trip is costing more than my first car, yes, for the amount of money I am paying, I expect near perfection.

RCI used to do a great job. We were on the Nav the end of May 2003. No complaints, but as you watch the little changes the cruise line does, some are really minor. Like no turn down service anymore on the first night. Not going to ruin my vacation, but given the chance, I will voice my opposition to it. We never eat at the buffet, really enjoy the lunches in the dining room. Some of the best meals we have ever had have been the lunches in the dining room. Now they only offer a few choices, and the menu never changes. We dont like the change, and will voice our opposition to it. The next time we go on a cruise, since we like lunches in the dining room, RCI wont be at the top of the list. If everyone agreed that the changes by RCI were great, fantastic, this place would be a little boring. I tend to go more negative, sometimes, and it helps keep the discussion going. Im also someone will fight change to the last. We have been on a lot of RCI and Celebrity cruises, and have really enjoyed all. No complaints, great food, etc. Its the upcoming cruise that worries us. Hopefully all of the negatives will be blown out and we will have a great time.

I think the key to remember here is that one person's opinion is not another's. Sometimes opinions do come through as whining and we (myself included) just need to remember that they are just opinions. Our expectations are all different and with roughly 3,000 people on a ship at a time, someone is bound to get ticked off.

Oh well -- I've done Carnival twice and am beside myself with excitement about going on RCCI -- so many people on my last Carnival cruise were previous RCCI cruisers and had wonderful things to say - overall!

HAVE FUN!! It's vacation-you're on a cruise - what could be better??

11/20/04 Voyager Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;11;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

till my Voyage of the Seas

Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope. You will enjoy the Mariner. It is a beautiful ship. The food is very good(we like cruise food). The service was great. So much to do, the ice skating show is a must. Some people on here just complain to have something to do. We were on her in March & had a great time. We even had to pay at Johnny Rockets, worth every penny to get away from all the kids (spring break). You will have a great time.

Sovereign 598

Sovereign 599

Sovereign 500

Voyager 1100

Explorer 501

Radiance 1101

Majesty 302

Adventure 402

Enchantment 1102

Monarch 103

Legend 403

Navigator 1103

Mariner 304

Grandeur 404

Sovereign 504

Serenade 1104

flagger- Me thinks you are paying too much. icon_wink.gif I imagine that if I was paying that high of a rate I might expect perfection as well. However, the difference from what you pay and from what I pay ( I'm one of those that doesn't pay more than $500 per person for my cruise) is merely for your sleeping space as I am able to partake of every other luxury. I often wonder whether those that choose the luxury rooms onboard have ever cruised in an inside stateroom to determine whether their luxury is worth the extra $4000-$5000 per couple charge. That's four or five cruises for my spouse and I.

All that I expect from a cruise is: an assortment of foods to choose from cooked better than McDonalds. I'll even take the McDonalds if it means I don't have to clean up or do the work myself. That alone is a dream vacation. A clean semi-comfortable mattress to sleep upon. A place to rest my weary body while I watch the world go by without the ringing of my phone. That's it! Maybe that's why I am extremely happy with ANY cruise or cruiseline. ( Yes, I have preferences, but they are just preferences, not requirements) As I said before, it's all in the attitude.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

There's a song that goes, "If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down." Seems to apply to cruising.

JV The 4 stages of cruising: planning, anticipation, experience and reflection.

In the past 6 months we have been on 3 cruises. They All have had 1st night turn down. The lunch menus have changed everyday. Where do some of these items come from?

Sovereign 598

Sovereign 599

Sovereign 500

Voyager 1100

Explorer 501

Radiance 1101

Majesty 302

Adventure 402

Enchantment 1102

Monarch 103

Legend 403

Navigator 1103

Mariner 304

Grandeur 404

Sovereign 504

Serenade 1104

I have never had a bad vacation because what I expect is to have a good time and so I do. And that includes one where we had a minor car accident, and one where the teens ruined the hot tubs at night 3 nights (in a 5 star resort)in a row waking everyone up ( until they were caught... I for one called and reported them 2 nights... I am not one who will whine about a problem after having done nothing to correct it) As long as I am away and being taken care of, even when I stay in a Super 8 ( which is a rarity), I am happy. Anyone who expects perfection is seriously living in a dream world, there is NO such thing even at the Ritz things can and do go wrong.

barbara02.gif

My vacation pics

http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven

Norwegian Dawn May 23

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Ircruising, I think you will enjoy the Mariner. We were on the Navigator (sister ship to the Mariner) last month and had a wonderful time. The food in the main dining room and buffet was very good and the service was excellent. The food and service in the specialty restaurants was over the top. The ship was beautiful and always spotless. So many things to do on board you don't have the time to fit them all in. Go and enjoy your vacation. Let us know how it went when you get back.

I don't even think it's about money. I'm staying in an Owner's Suite for my honeymoon, and even though it's $6000 for two people, we DON'T expect perfection. And we WON'T be complaining about the food.

We'll be too busy enjoying ourselves icon_smile.gif

Take Care,

Melissa icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Simply put,go in with low expectations and you'll have a GREAT time!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree with that statement. I go in with high expectations and still have a great time. There will be some things that won't be just as I would like them but even adding them all together they have never amounted to enough where I have come back from a cruise not having had a great week.

Originally posted by flagger:

Well this board is called cruise critic. I expect to hear the postives and the negatives about their experience. For the amount of money I am paying, I am expecting near perfection.

[Look at the amount of money you are paying to reside where you do...is there perfection there? Look at what you spend on groceries...again I ask, is there perfection there? Sorry Flagger, I enjoy many of your posts, but to expect "perfection" is a bit unrealistic. Most of us would settle for a "really great time"

Until we "get out there"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I cruise both lines.

I think Carnival has better food, but RCI serves it better.

Carnival generally has larger staterooms. RCI's staterooms are furnished a little more nicely.

Carnival and RCI just about tie for entertainment.

RCI has some neat new activities - like miniature golf and rock-climbing walls. Carnival was the first to do this sort of thing years ago with their pool slides. They will come up with something soon, I am sure.

The ports tend to be the same unless you are in for the RCI private out island at either Labadie or Cocoa Cay.

My favorite bar on any ship currently in the water is the Champagne bar on Sovereign class RCI ships.

My favorite extra $$$ restaurant on any ship currently in the water was David's on Carnival's Pride.

Negative posts coming from experienced cruisers just reflect dissapointment. Some economic concessions have been made by both lines. RCI's concessions are much more obvious than Carnival's. Cruising is still wonderful.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

My gif kitties have gone to cyber heaven so that dial up cruisers don't have a problem getting their posts read.

Brad you have been saying the same thing for months now. I cruised in March, only thing they charged at JR's. I've said it before on THAT cruise it was a pleasure to pay the money to get away from the kids. We cruised in April, no change. We will cruise next week & I don't think there will be any change.

Sovereign 598

Sovereign 599

Sovereign 500

Voyager 1100

Explorer 501

Radiance 1101

Majesty 302

Adventure 402

Enchantment 1102

Monarch 103

Legend 403

Navigator 1103

Mariner 304

Grandeur 404

Sovereign 504

Serenade 1104

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caviargal:

IMHO RCCL is to Carnival as Hyatt is to Holiday Inn.

Mariner is beautiful and you will have a great time!

Try the specialty restaurants if you can as they are very good.

RCI(37),NCL(12),Princess(1),HAL(2),Celebrity(3), Carnival(2), Eastern (13),Radisson(2), Star Clippers(1),Home Lines(2), Costa(5),Big Red Boat (6), Dolphin (1), Commodore (2), Others (11)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Caviar Girl, PLEASE give me the address of the Holiday Inn you use!!

There was a time when Carnival was the Days Inn of the cruising world. That day is long gone. Now, when RCI is serving the infamous ranch steak, Carnival is serving sirloin. While the short cruise will squeeze you into a tiny cabin on RCI, you get a large cabin on Carnival. On my recent Carnival cruises I have enjoyed music by a string trio, a lovely classical oboe player and some great piano players. On my recent RCI cruises, I have seen (but not participated in) a belly flop contest. Which line sounds classier to you?

OK I picked my points, but the real point is that the Carnival of even 5 years ago is not the Carnival of today. The RCI of even 18 months ago is not the RCI of today. The old comparisons were true, but that has not been my recent experience.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

My gif kitties have gone to cyber heaven so that dial up cruisers don't have a problem getting their posts read.

I know, im still trying, but I think I and one or two others who dont want the surcharge have not only lost the battle, but the war as well. Id rather see the place full of kids enjoying included burgers than this.

Originally posted by FOXTROT:

Brad you have been saying the same thing for months now. I cruised in March, only thing they charged at JR's. I've said it before on THAT cruise it was a pleasure to pay the money to get away from the kids. We cruised in April, no change. We will cruise next week & I don't think there will be any change.

/QUOTE]

You are right Foxtrot but Brad wants to believe that there will no turn down service the first night because it was like this on one single cruise like one poster stated. This one statement counts more than the multiple others that had the service. Like he said

"I tend to go more negative", this is main subject on the most of this recent posts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lrcruising:

I promise not to voice my disappointments so others don't get nervous before their cruise instead of excited.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Voicing a disappointment can be much different than complaining.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

Flagger - it is because of people with negative attitudes like you that the OP started this thread. If you expect near perfection on a cruise, why are you spending this much money sailing with RCCL instead of one of the luxury lines? Sorry to get down on you, but I really think your expectations are too high. No cruise is perfect, no vacation is perfect and no household is perfect. If you always have those type of expectations, you will go through life miserable because nothing will ever achieve the standard you are seeking. I fully expect to read about everything that was wrong on your cruise upon your return, and then someone else just like the OP will wonder if they are making a mistake by booking a cruise with RCCL after reading what you have to say.

To repeat something that someone else has already said in this thread in other words, I believe the most important thing for the OP to recognize is the difference between those offering constructive criticism and those that want to whine about every little thing, and then discount the latter. It's all about attitude.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until NOS Sailing 10/23/04

NOS 10/23/04 Roll Call Click Here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yarlenna:

I cruise both lines.

And then some!

Some economic concessions have been made by both lines. RCI's concessions are much more obvious than Carnival's. Cruising is still wonderful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yarlenna: Very well said. I 've been thinking the same thing for some time now. I pick the best value for the time frame in which we want to cruise. I don't care if its "Humpty Dumpty" cruise line as long as its clean and the staff are happy people! On NCL the food was just okay. But guess what? The ship was one of my favorites, even though we lost one engine and took FOREVER to get to the next port. Like I cared, I was on the ocean having a great time. Its what you make out of it!

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 12/99

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92