HAL Coffee Card?

bellagirl

There's a coffee card for use in the Explorations Cafe. I have no idea about the cost or value, as I don't drink the specialty coffees.

I do know that when you make a purchase in Explorations, you get a pastry to go with it! :)

The coffee in the Lido and the dining room is brewed, not liquid. It's good enough for me, but not nearly as good as Dunkin' Donuts, IMO. Much better than Starbucks, though.

The dining room also serves cappuccino without charge. It's very, very good. :)

They do sell a coffee card, but it's only for 10 drinks (unlike on Princess), and it's expensive: $26, or $2.60 per drink, which only makes sense if you're ordering double or triple latte's or cappucinos, because everything else is less than $2.60. I found the coffee in the Lido to be excellent - better than on Princess or RCL - but of course you're limited to those smallish mugs they have.

I almost always get a coffee card. $26.00. I feel I get my money's worth.

The coffee bar is usually located adjacent to the library and I spend a fair amount of time there, so it's convenient.

The only drawback for me is that they don't open quite early enough.

I found the coffee in the Lido to be excellent - better than on Princess or RCL - but of course you're limited to those smallish mugs they have.

Just bring a travel mug, or buy one in the gift shop and keep it as a souvenir. That's what I do.

They do sell a coffee card, but it's only for 10 drinks (unlike on Princess), and it's expensive: $26, or $2.60 per drink,

I almost always get a coffee card. $26.00.

Plus the 15% service charge, or $29.90 total.

If you enjoy the specialty coffees the coffee card is a good deal. There is a flavor of the day and you can order a grande at no extra charge so each one of those is only $3.00 as opposed to the price on the menu. With the new mariner program there is a discount for the explorations cafe so compare prices both ways before deciding to buy the card.

They do sell a coffee card, but it's only for 10 drinks (unlike on Princess), and it's expensive: $26, or $2.60 per drink, which only makes sense if you're ordering double or triple latte's or cappucinos, because everything else is less than $2.60. I found the coffee in the Lido to be excellent - better than on Princess or RCL - but of course you're limited to those smallish mugs they have.

For the large iced coffees it is worth it-they are like $5. Princess does not include those on their coffee card. I was disappointed in that on Princess-as it was October and we went to Grand Cayman, Cozuemel, Jamaica, etc-it was HOT-and I don't even think I finished my card-as I wanted frozen, not hot cappuccinos. Princess's card is only worth it-if you are going to Alaska or another cooler area.

So I guess in Alaska, I would not buy the HAL card-but for the Caribbean -yes I would! I love the frozen coffees!

• 2 months later...

Is there a restriction on what drinks you can order from the Explorations Cafe menu with the coffee card? It looks like unless you get a flavored grande there is no money to be saved.

I'm sure between my mother and I we will have at least 10 specialty coffees on our 15-day cruise, but if there is no money to be saved with the card, I'll just charge them as we order them.

the only restriction was you couldn't get one of the coffee's with alchohol in it. It is only worth it if you like the specialty drinks, which I do. Also you can share the card so DH and I shared one. Along with the coffee you could get pastries, fruit or sandwiches - or a couple of each as DH always did.

Just a note on the coffee cards, we were on the ms Noordam last summer and the coffee cards do not include any of the smoothie drinks that they offer in the Explorations Cafe.....they did include those on the Oosterdam the year before so I don't know if this is a ship by ship thing or a change in what the card is good for. We did get a refund for one of our coffee cards as we bought it for my daughter....at that time the website said it covered both drinks...I am not sure what it says now. FYI

I almost always get a coffee card. $26.00. I feel I get my money's worth.

The coffee bar is usually located adjacent to the library and I spend a fair amount of time there, so it's convenient.

The only drawback for me is that they don't open quite early enough.

is the coffee made italian style espresso or you can have only american coffee?

There's a coffee card for use in the Explorations Cafe. I have no idea about the cost or value, as I don't drink the specialty coffees.

I do know that when you make a purchase in Explorations, you get a pastry to go with it! :)

The coffee in the Lido and the dining room is brewed, not liquid. It's good enough for me, but not nearly as good as Dunkin' Donuts, IMO. Much better than Starbucks, though.

The dining room also serves cappuccino without charge. It's very, very good. :)

I thought that the free cappucino in the MDR was one of the items that HAL had recently eliminated. Am I wrong? I sure hope so since I love having an after-dinner cappucino.

I thought that the free cappucino in the MDR was one of the items that HAL had recently eliminated.

I haven't heard that. I'm sure that if it had happened it would have been reported on this board.

How recent is "recent"? The cappuccino was there for me every night on my last cruise. That cruise ended 11/18/09.

After our most recent cruise, I'd suggest trying one of the Explorations Cafe coffees first, to see if it meets your expectations, before investing in a coffee card.

I suppose you're right :)

ps: beautiful cat you have :)

I haven't heard that. I'm sure that if it had happened it would have been reported on this board.

How recent is "recent"? The cappuccino was there for me every night on my last cruise. That cruise ended 11/18/09.

I thought the new policy went into effect as of January but I could very easily be wrong. I hope so since it would sure be nice to have cappucino after dinner on our Alaska cruise in May, but I don't want to have to pay for it since we're already over budget with tours.

Archived