Formal Evening!

bela47911

So our cruise has one formal evening, how important is it that hubby wears a suit? He does not have a suit jacket and seems like a big waste of money to buy one for one day on a cruise. Is he okay with dress pants an a shirt and tie? I want to go back and say we are on vacation, who wants to wear a suit on vacation;)

So our cruise has one formal evening, how important is it that hubby wears a suit? He does not have a suit jacket and seems like a big waste of money to buy one for one day on a cruise. Is he okay with dress pants an a shirt and tie? I want to go back and say we are on vacation, who wants to wear a suit on vacation;)

I really like to comply with the cruise-line's guidelines because it makes me feel like a responsible adult who knows how to play with others. For that reason I read the guidelines before selecting a cruise and select one that appeals to me. I am beginning to learn that the less special I think I am the more other people seem special to me. Your mileage may vary.

Unless you're totally uncomfortable not being formally dressed the odds are if you wear a shirt & dress pants you'll be fine. Don't let the others who wish to dress all out intimidate you into their style.

It's not a matter of "intimidate ..into their style". It's a matter of learning to accept rules, abide by them, fit into society, not always be the outlier.

There are very formal cruise lines, very informal ones..do a little homework and pick the one that suits your style.

There are other places on the ship ..all the ships..where you can eat on formal night and not dress formally -- for example, the buffet, some smaller casual restaurants, or room service.

There are many times in life where a bit of formality is proper . Occasions like weddings , funerals , job iterviews , etc..

A jacket will be used far beyond just this one cruise .

Go for it!

Otherwise it's the buffet or specialty resturant (if there is one) to not feel out of place at dinner.

Although I hate formal nights on cruises , I go with the flow with merely a dark suit , sufficient even on several Cunard cruises .

It's not a matter of "intimidate ..into their style". It's a matter of learning to accept rules, abide by them, fit into society, not always be the outlier.

There are very formal cruise lines, very informal ones..do a little homework and pick the one that suits your style.

There are other places on the ship ..all the ships..where you can eat on formal night and not dress formally -- for example, the buffet, some smaller casual restaurants, or room service.

The way the OP suggested dressing will be acceptable in the DR on any of the cruise lines you've been on and as long as their comfortable in their style they'll be fine.

The way the OP suggested dressing will be acceptable in the DR on any of the cruise lines you've been on and as long as their comfortable in their style they'll be fine.

Oh? You've cruised on Hurtigruten? Where did you go? How was the food? Did you enjoy the 24 hour buffet? How was the liquor selection?

Which line areyou going on?

He will be fine for Carnival. If it was HAL I would say to bring a Navy Blazer that can be worn with beige or gray 'new' Dockers.

I say new because if I just said Dockers, my DH would bring his gardening ones. :eek:

When I cruise on Princess -- which we've done several times -- my husband would be uncomfortable without a suit jacket and tie for dinner. Same for HAL. Certainly for Hurtigruten (which, by the way, doesn't HAVE a 24 hour buffet. Just seeing if you noticed. :rolleyes: ) Even when we cruised on Carnival, he brought a sports coat. We didn't do that on NCL. I haven't been on the others, but from reading here (and their web site), he probably wouldn't either. For the record, we didn't wear jeans, sandals, or shorts on any of the cruise lines either. A matter of respect..of ourselves, and of other passengers.

When I cruise on Princess -- which we've done several times -- my husband would be uncomfortable without a suit jacket and tie for dinner. Same for HAL. Certainly for Hurtigruten (which, by the way, doesn't HAVE a 24 hour buffet. Just seeing if you noticed. :rolleyes: ) Even when we cruised on Carnival, he brought a sports coat. We didn't do that on NCL. I haven't been on the others, but from reading here (and their web site), he probably wouldn't either. For the record, we didn't wear jeans, sandals, or shorts on any of the cruise lines either. A matter of respect..of ourselves, and of other passengers.

A day without a 24 hour buffet is like a day without sunshine. btw- jeans are fine attire on non formal nights.

Oh? You've cruised on Hurtigruten? Where did you go? How was the food? Did you enjoy the 24 hour buffet? How was the liquor selection?

I have heard that Hurtigruten does some wonderful cruises. However, I read that it has a very casual atmosphere. Dining is open seating and formal dress is not required.

Pearl

We are on Celebrity and it was a last minute thing. We have never been on a cruise that is why I am asking. Thank you to all the nice replies......to all the sarcastic replies, it really wasn't necessary, I just asked a simply question.

How formal does a 7 year old girl need to be dressed?

I have heard that Hurtigruten does some wonderful cruises. However, I read that it has a very casual atmosphere. Dining is open seating and formal dress is not required.

Pearl

It depends entirely on the cruise. For their adventure cruises, what you state is accurate. For the specialty cruises like the one we'll be on, while tuxedoes certainly aren't required, casual dress is not expected for dinner. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style; dinner is a sit-down formally served event.

We are on Celebrity and it was a last minute thing. We have never been on a cruise that is why I am asking. Thank you to all the nice replies......to all the sarcastic replies, it really wasn't necessary, I just asked a simply question.

Tidy. Clean. Behaved. :) I think she'll be fine however you dress her. Have a great cruise!

Celebrity is definitely more formal than Carnival, NCL, RCCL or even Princess. There will be some who wear a blazer and slacks on formal night but MOST will be in a suit at a minimum. The maitre d on some Celebrity ships will definitely turn people away if you are not dressed properly.

A 7 year old needs to be in a party dress if you want to blend in.

A day without a 24 hour buffet is like a day without sunshine. btw- jeans are fine attire on non formal nights.

Geez, maybe we can dumb down the cruise experience just a little more. Used to be special. Jeans on non formal nights means the experience equates to a night at a Comfort Inn and dinner at Appleby's, Chile's, TGIF's, etc. etc. Whoopee!!!!

What is acceptable for breakfast and lunch?

Dockers/jeans and a polo for him, sundress/slacks and a nice top for you and your daughter. You are allowed to wear shorts in the buffet. As posted previously, Celebrity is one of the most formal main stream lines. You won't find belly flop contests, hairy chest contests, etc. etc. A REFINED experience with less neon glitz and more elegance.

Geez, maybe we can dumb down the cruise experience just a little more. Used to be special. Jeans on non formal nights meabs the experience equates to a night at a Comfort Inn and dinner at Appleby's, Chile's, TGIF's, etc. etc. Whoopee!!!!

You're right. It used to be special and food was a lot better a while back but even with wearing jeans in the last few years hasn't deterred from the quality of the cruise.

What is acceptable for breakfast and lunch?

That depends on where on the ship you have them. In the buffet areas it is nearly anything goes. Below is a document from their website:

What are the onboard dress codes?

Subject: Dress Code

You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear and eveningwear.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

Also, remember to bring extra bathing suits, as well as sun block, sun visors and other types of sun protection.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

Celebrity is on whole a more classic tradtional line. Therefore, people dress up a bit more on formal nights than say RCl or Carnival. That being said, and being on 3 different X cruises in the last 2 years, all to differnet locations, what I saw for formal night was MOST men in dark suits and ties. Then about a third in tuxes. Then the smaller number had on sportsjackets...90% including a tie. Maybe 10% without ties. A VERY small number had no jacket. Less than a percent. ANd they DO stand out. Now if that doesn't bother your husband, and you don't WANT to follow guidelines, there's not much more to be said.

As for the info from drb re day wear... Nowhere does it list shorts on women and they are worn everywhere on the ship (not in restaurant) and at ports. You can eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet in your shorts or coverup/sundress over your swimsuit. You can wear your swimsuit with a pair of shorts or serape at the outdoor grill area.

Also a nice put-together outfit with capri pants will also be seen on casual nights in the dining room. On warm weather cruises, I feel comfortable in white or black capris with a nice blouse or sweater (not polo shirt) in the evening with wedge or stacked heels. You will see many.

Your husband can wear a sports jacket to MANY occasions. If he has one, he will wear it. I'd get him one.

When my daughter was 8, she wore a pretty dress for formal night. I think it was an Easter dress that year. In the casual evenings, she wore sundresses and pants and top. Daytime was whatever she wore at home. Not difficult for kids.

It depends entirely on the cruise. For their adventure cruises, what you state is accurate. For the specialty cruises like the one we'll be on, while tuxedoes certainly aren't required, casual dress is not expected for dinner. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style; dinner is a sit-down formally served event.

Your upcoming cruise sounds wonderful! Where will you be cruising?

Pearl

Archived