Formal Evening!

bela47911

Another SLUB answer. So it is OK with you that DH and I dress formally per the cruise line requirements/marketing promos but YOU can disregard your fellow passengers and the cruise line wishes??? Gee, thanks for ALLOWING those that SPECIFICALLY book a formal cruise to dress formally.

Nothing worse than sitting at a formal dinner table or attending a formal party and having some SLUB show up in a polo shirt. RUINS the ambiance others cherish. Why even bother with the polo and dress pants? Might as well show up in a T-shirt and jeans. The same thing. Disrespect of the host's wishes-in this case, the cruise line being the host.

The discussion is about Celebrity, not Carnival, NCL or RCCL. Please don't cruise on Celebrity and make a fool of yourself and make the rest of us uncomfortable. Or maybe you are the BIG TIME CEO guy who THOUGHT he could get away with $300 jeans, a $2000 leather jacket and an expensive polo on Cunard in Princess Grill. He was promptly told he and his entire party had to go change. Thank goodness, we never saw them the rest of the week.

I would not worry about it. If it is Celebrity, he will be refused admittance to the dinning room.

So, if everyone chooses to come in blue jeans that is fine because they can choose to dress as they want. And you really do not think that would take away from the enjoyment of the evening.Keith

It would not bother me at all. I have never worn jeans in the MDR. I have never worn jeans on any on of my 17 cruises. I choose to wear a jacket and tie in the main dining room, but again that is my choice. I am way too busy enjoying myself and don't get hung up on what others are wearing.

It would not bother me at all. I have never worn jeans in the MDR. I have never worn jeans on any on of my 17 cruises. I choose to wear a jacket and tie in the main dining room, but again that is my choice. I am way too busy enjoying myself and don't get hung up on what others are wearing.

My analogy is if the dress code calls for a suit or a tuxedo then that is what we should all wear. If it is OK for you to do as you please then the analogy is if someone decided to wear something else why can't they do that as well.

I guess I am one of those who just goes by this out of respect to my fellow passengers.

If someone invites us to a wedding and says on the invitation black tie we dress appropriately. If I make a reservation at a land based restaurant which calls for a sports jacket I dress appropriately.

I don't try to make up my own rules and say well it's fine because I think it is.

Sorry, as I say I don't get it.

Not worth arguing about it. Obvsiously some see it the way you do. But many others see it the way I do.

Keith

Sorry if it disturbs your evening but Princess is our choice most of the time & since they allow me do dress as I choose I will continue to do so. (and not at the buffet) Their dress code only "suggests" on how to dress & doesn't actually require mandatory clothing.

My dressing down certainty doesn't mean that you can't dress up and takes nothing away from anyone's enjoyment.

There is no "suggesting" language in the Princess dress code: "Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men." If they meant it to be a suggestion, they wouldn't call it a "code"; they would refer to it as suggested wear.

As for insulting beachchick, I certainly didn't mean to and if I did I apologize. The way I look at that reference, I don't think the original poster meant that others needed to "make the evening" for him, what I think he meant was he didn't want someone "ruin the evening" for him. Kind of like a formal wedding reception at the local country club where the invitations say formal attire requested. The last think the bride and groom need in the background of their elegant reception pictures is some couple dressed in resort casual wear.

"Choice" is an over-used and somewhat selfish word to use in this kind of discussion. "Respect" always trumps "choice"; or at least it should.

There is no "suggesting" language in the Princess dress code: "Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men." If they meant it to be a suggestion, they wouldn't call it a "code"; they would refer to it as suggested wear.

As for insulting beachchick, I certainly didn't mean to and if I did I apologize. The way I look at that reference, I don't think the original poster meant that others needed to "make the evening" for him, what I think he meant was he didn't want someone "ruin the evening" for him. Kind of like a formal wedding reception at the local country club where the invitations say formal attire requested. The last think the bride and groom need in the background of their elegant reception pictures is some couple dressed in resort casual wear.

"Choice" is an over-used and somewhat selfish word to use in this kind of discussion. "Respect" always trumps "choice"; or at least it should.

(Oops. I wrote the following before noticing your post above. My apology to you still applies, of course.)

fodorspeter: I just wanted to say that I'm sorry if my response sounded like I was talking about you specifically. I wasn't, but realized later that it might have seemed that way. I was responding to the other member you quoted and his/her wanting to use the rest of us as a theater "backdrop." I wasn't clear and that may have been hurtful to you.

As for the other member, there have been a number over the years who have indeed said that the rest of us had better dress to his/her preferred level of formality because we are just part of his/her fantasy (yep, that word has been thrown about a lot) and we will "ruin" the evening for them. Bottom line is that I believe that no one else can "ruin" our evening for us, except perhaps those who try to attend formal night in dirty, ragged, and smelly clothing or those who don't know the meaning of the word "shower/bath." That is offensive and would ruin dinner for anyone else, formal night or not. I just think it's pretty sad if someone allows their evening to be ruined because another passenger wore dress slacks and a dress shirt (tie or not), rather than a dark suit or tux. Sure, I think those people should dress as requested because it shows respect for themselves and others, but no chance I'm going to let them ruin my lovely evening with my snazzily (is that a word?) dressed DH in his tux (or dark suit) and me all dolled up in my fanciest black cocktail gown, heels, and even stockings (which used to be a daily work thing and are now only for special events).

beachchick

And I can respect folks that make choices that are different than mine.;)

And the Waiters and Ships Officers will be wearing Tuxedos. So if one wants to dress lower than the staff. . . .

They are there to serve me, the paying client & if they choose to dress nicely, so be it. If and when the day comes that they invite me to the function than they can set the rules. Until then I'll make the decision as to what to wear. (within reason of course) ;)

You can get him a suite at Walmart or Target if price is an issue. Im sure there will be abother occation where he needs one. Formal nights are just that, FORMAL. If you dont want to adhere to the dress code, you should sconsider dining at another location then the MDR on formal nights. The dress codes clearly state what is and is not allowed for attire.

DH always wears a suit, even in semi-formal nights. I always wear cocktail dresses or evening gowns, even on semi-formal nights. Our DD will be nearly 1 year old on this cruise, and she has a little baby formal gown for formal dinner night.

They are there to serve me, the paying client & if they choose to dress nicely, so be it. If and when the day comes that they invite me to the function than they can set the rules. Until then I'll make the decision as to what to wear. (within reason of course) ;)

THEY represent the cruise line itself. So pretty much THEY, on behalf of the cruise line, are the ones inviting you. Suck it up and dress appropriately. Please.

So our cruise has one formal evening, how important is it that hubby wears a suit? He does not have a suit jacket and seems like a big waste of money to buy one for one day on a cruise. Is he okay with dress pants an a shirt and tie? I want to go back and say we are on vacation, who wants to wear a suit on vacation;)

On our first cruise, we bought son a suit and one for dad. We knew it wasn't going to be our last cruise or the last opportunity to look spiffy.

Why don't you sign up for windjammer? Don't they go barefoot most of the time?:cool:

Hello,

Recently I asked a question about formal night on another thread, of someone who just returned from her first cruise. She said that she and her husband did not dress up at all, and had their dinner at the pool on formal nights.

She also said that on her next cruise, which cannot be soon enough, that she and her husband will take some dress up clothes. She said that formal nights added something extra special to a cruise.

A suit will do very nicely or even a sportsjacket and a tie will be great.

Exactly.

IMaybe the women should wear a tie for a while during the warm weather to see just how uncomfortable they really are. :(

Ever wear nylon stockings to work in the summertime? Men don't have the corner on dress codes at work. And even though I wore nylons (in the summer in Arizona) with dress suits and high heels for over 25 years, for some strange reason I don't feel like I've sold my soul to dress up on formal night. In fact, I love looking that good.;)

I don't understand why sight, as a sense, is always getting short-changed. People will post endlessly on these boards about folks who wear too much perfume and how it impacts their experience. And everyone seems to agree with them. So, why is sight less important?

Turn your head, people say, if someone not dressed appropriately bothers you. Or leave the immediate vicinity. Why aren't those options offered up to someone complaining of a passenger who bathed in too much eau de cologne or who forgot to apply their deodorant?

Sight is just as important aesthetically as smell. Setting is key. Why do you think restaurant owners spend tens of thousands of dollars decorating their new restaurant? If setting didn't matter, they would serve you on a folding table and chairs in a room with white walls and a bare light bulb.

Would you be just as happy eating a filet mignon off a cheap paper plate? Would you drink an expensive cocktail out of a cracked mug? Can we agree that a lovely plate of canapes would lose something if they were garnished with rotten vegetables? Does a diamond in a cheap setting look as good as one that is designed to set off its brilliance?

Studies have shown that people rated the exact same food as tasting better when served in a more upscale environment. And to me, part of the "environment" is how people are dressed. Please don't tell me not to notice. It's hard not to when you walk across my line of sight or sit across from me at table. Am I supposed to just gaze at my plate all evening?

In short, if the cruise you are taking has guidelines, abide by them -- in most cases at least 9/10 of the passengers do so. If you are one of the few for whom the "rules don't apply", then seek out a vacation that does not involve appropriate levels of dress.

I don't understand why sight, as a sense, is always getting short-changed. People will post endlessly on these boards about folks who wear too much perfume and how it impacts their experience. And everyone seems to agree with them. So, why is sight less important?

Turn your head, people say, if someone not dressed appropriately bothers you. Or leave the immediate vicinity. Why aren't those options offered up to someone complaining of a passenger who bathed in too much eau de cologne or who forgot to apply their deodorant?

Sight is just as important aesthetically as smell. Setting is key. Why do you think restaurant owners spend tens of thousands of dollars decorating their new restaurant? If setting didn't matter, they would serve you on a folding table and chairs in a room with white walls and a bare light bulb.

Would you be just as happy eating a filet mignon off a cheap paper plate? Would you drink an expensive cocktail out of a cracked mug? Can we agree that a lovely plate of canapes would lose something if they were garnished with rotten vegetables? Does a diamond in a cheap setting look as good as one that is designed to set off its brilliance?

Studies have shown that people rated the exact same food as tasting better when served in a more upscale environment. And to me, part of the "environment" is how people are dressed. Please don't tell me not to notice. It's hard not to when you walk across my line of sight or sit across from me at table. Am I supposed to just gaze at my plate all evening?

In short, if the cruise you are taking has guidelines, abide by them -- in most cases at least 9/10 of the passengers do so. If you are one of the few for whom the "rules don't apply", then seek out a vacation that does not involve appropriate levels of dress.

Very true.

Hi Bela,

I went down to one of our church's consignment shop and got a very spiffy tuxedo, trousers, dress shirt for $12 and a blue blazer with gold buttons for $6.

Not such a terrible thing to get dressed up once. :)

Can I sit at your table? ;) I like to get all spiffed up and I like to sit with others who do, too.

THEY represent the cruise line itself. So pretty much THEY, on behalf of the cruise line, are the ones inviting you. Suck it up and dress appropriately. Please.

When was the last time you were invited to a vacation & had to pay to get in. There's a big difference as I see it and as long as I'm paying my way I want to be comfortable.

When was the last time you were invited to a vacation & had to pay to get in. There's a big difference as I see it and as long as I'm paying my way I want to be comfortable.

Actually, many places where you have to pay to enter impose a dress code. Country Clubs prohibit cutoffs and t-shirts on the golf course. They have standards for entering the dining room especially on weekends.

Many fine restaurants also have dress codes. If you don't want to abide by the dress codes there, you are asked to go elsewhere.

I'm going to take a crack at how you got your username for CruiseCritic: you were dressed in your slacks and polo shirt on formal night on a Princess cruise and one table over some one commented to another, "at least there's 1 Happy Cruiser in the dining room."

So we should be forced to be uncomfortable and unhappy on our vacation that we paid for, so that YOU can have your feelings about the "ambiance"?

Now admitedly, for those reasons I would never cruise a line like Celebrity. I will stick to the more casual lines. Now I don't go into the MDR in tshirts or anything like that. On non formal nights I wear either nice jeans with a dress shirt, or khaki's with a polo. On formal nights it's dress slacks/dress shirt and usually a tie. But I will stick to the lines where that level of dress is acceptable thank you very much.

Why people worry about what OTHER people are wearing is completely beyond me ...

I guess it would be better for others to feel uncomfortable and unhappy on their vacation that they paid for so you can flout your disregard for social norms. The ambience you sneer at is what many passengers are paying to experience. It is like thumbing your nose at the people who comply with the dress code and saying "you people are not important enough for me to dress up for". Don't be offended if they react accordingly.

Archived