How late can you book?

RTH21090

Was curious as to the latest date you can book a cruise before the ship leaves port? I know that with Homeland security they have a cut off date for booking but wasn't sure how close to the sail date this would be. Thanks in advance for the help.

You can book the same day if there are cabins available and you are ok with the price.

No you can't, they cut it off 48 hours before the ship leaves because they have to give a list of the passengers to Homeland Security before the ship leaves. I tried to book a cruise for the same day it was leaving and that is how I found out about it. Before 9/11 you could, but not now.

No you can't, they cut it off 48 hours before the ship leaves because they have to give a list of the passengers to Homeland Security before the ship leaves. I tried to book a cruise for the same day it was leaving and that is how I found out about it. Before 9/11 you could, but not now.

When was it you tried to book the same day? They called me with a same day deal about a year ago.

When was it you tried to book the same day? They called me with a same day deal about a year ago.

wow=- were you able to sail?

Homeland Security needs that manifest 24 hours ahead of time- Cruiselines can get huge fine/penalties if not. I know it was inplace last September.

wow=- were you able to sail?

Homeland Security needs that manifest 24 hours ahead of time- Cruiselines can get huge fine/penalties if not. I know it was inplace last September.

Seren, what is your source? I've seen alot of conflicting information on the passenger manifest deadlines for cruises. Thanks...

Cruise lines used not have to turn in a manifest until after the cruise ship had left. Now I think it is 30 minutes before sailing. It certainly isn't 24 hours.

The rules are different for ships arriving in the US. The general rule there used to be 72 hours. Not sure what it is now but probably depends on circumstances.

If a ship leaves from a US port, makes a quick stop in some other country and then stops in another US port, it could fall under the latter rules.

Cruise lines used not have to turn in a manifest until after the cruise ship had left. Now I think it is 30 minutes before sailing. It certainly isn't 24 hours.

The rules are different for ships arriving in the US. The general rule there used to be 72 hours. Not sure what it is now but probably depends on circumstances.

If a ship leaves from a US port, makes a quick stop in some other country and then stops in another US port, it could fall under the latter rules.

That sounds more like what my understanding was. This is from the Carnival website:

How does the Embarkation Process Work?spacer.gifRemember, Government regulations for U.S. departure ports require that a final departure manifest is submitted 60 minutes prior to departure. Guests are required to provide us with the required information prior to embarkation. The easiest and most convenient way is to complete our FunPass on line registration process at least three days prior to departure. Guests that do not complete the registration process prior to embarkation are required to check-in at least 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time.

Seren, what is your source? I've seen alot of conflicting information on the passenger manifest deadlines for cruises. Thanks...

That was from a travel agent we used last Sept for the Liberty and had people who wanted to book at the last minute.

The 48 hour thing is past history as far as booking with Carnival is concerned. You can book same day if space is available. It is a different story for Holland America and most online travel sites which do not accept reservations at the last minute.

David

You can book the same day as long as there is available cabins. This has to be done through the cruiseline only. You just need to call.

I was told this by a cruiseline agent who has done this a few time recently. All that 9/11 48, 72, hour stuff is false.

You can book the same day as long as there is available cabins. This has to be done through the cruiseline only. You just need to call.

I was told this by a cruiseline agent who has done this a few time recently. All that 9/11 48, 72, hour stuff is false.

We have gotten e-mails the day before for both Carnival and Princess for cruises and we have booked the day before. I agree the 9/11 stuff is just false and it does not make sense. The cruise we booked the day before we were talking to a couple from Florida who booked that morning.

It amazes me that people report stuff from what they have read on here by others as absolute truth. You most certainly can book same day through the cruise line and yes the manifest is generally sent in roughly an hour prior to sailing. Ask those who have done it.

It amazes me that people report stuff from what they have read on here by others as absolute truth. You most certainly can book same day through the cruise line and yes the manifest is generally sent in roughly an hour prior to sailing. Ask those who have done it.

I know. The answer taken directly from Carnival's website was quoted and posted back in Post #11. ;)

I met a passenger on the Liberty last wee who was supposed to be on the Dawn, while in transit to Miami he got a call that the cruise was cancelled and his TA booked him on our ship last minute. I thought the ship was sold out, and I have no idea how much he paid, but he was glad to be on our ship. I too was under the impression of a 48 hr book closing, but his was less than 24 hours.

There has NEVER NEVER been a 48 hour or 96 hour cutoff for booking. People keep posting it like it is gospel. You can book the MORNING OF the cruise.

The rule used to be a manifest had to be submitted WITHIN 15 minutes of departure. Now the rule is 60 minutes PRIOR to departure with no additions to manifest once submitted.

Dave

Folks seem to have different opinions (information?). If you want the correct answer looks like you will have to call the cruise line.

This answer could apply to a LOT of the questions on this board......( i agree with you ) Lot's of different ( and wrong ) answers around here...For questions like this , best bet is to call CARNIVAL....:rolleyes:

That was from a travel agent we used last Sept for the Liberty and had people who wanted to book at the last minute.

I believe for the same day sailings you have to book directly through Carnival so that might have been the issue.

Dave

Edited by jetskier