Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

In 1998 your favorite priest (that being myself) was Catholic Chaplain on the m.s. Westerdam II as she sailed from from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver. It was a delightful cruise but I must say it was my least favorite HAL ship.

In 1998 your favorite priest (that being myself) was Catholic Chaplain on the m.s. Westerdam II as she sailed from from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver. It was a delightful cruise but I must say it was my least favorite HAL ship.

I've talked to crew who swear she was haunted, Father!;)

Isn't that name mis-spelling? In Dutch, north is "noord" so it should be "Noorddam" ;)

The others are not named Oostedam/Westedam/Zuidedam. :D

Technically you're correct, Peter! Just a Dutch thing; they've merged the two "d"s over the years. It's never been Noorddam.

Not the same, but Amsterdam, the city and the three ships that have sailed/are sailing under the HAL flag, have been named after the River Amstel. Technically, it should be Amsteldam but over the years it has become Amsterdam

Isn't that name mis-spelling? In Dutch, north is "noord" so it should be "Noorddam" ;)

The others are not named Oostedam/Westedam/Zuidedam. :D

Taking it even a step further, technically, it should be Noorderdam, like Westerdam, Zuiderdam and Oosterdam;)

In Dutch "Noord" is North, like you said. However "Zuider" is Southerly not South, like "Ooster" is Easterly and "Wester", Westerly.

Or, a while back when those predecessors with the same names were first christened, they should have named them Westdam and Zuidam.;) (Oosterdam has no predecessors)

Starship Oceanic for me, on a New York to Hamilton run.

I saw on the last page that someone else posted about the Oceanic's time as the Peace Boat.

But I guess my family's cruising history begins with my mom's voyage on the Cristobal Colon in November, 1863. Her family was aboard when President Kennedy died. The ship held a Catholic mass in the middle of a squall.

Statendam 2011 Seward to Vancouver in 50 foot seas with hurricane force winds. Still, we are scheduled for our second Alaska cruise in June. We loved the experience of the ship, now we want to see the ports ;-)

Wow Copper 10-8, that was incredible. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the history of the Westerdam II. I cannot believe she is still in service. I am tempted to sail her again just for giggles. Our cruise was on her was incredible and to this day I will never forget “Ajus" who provided the best service we’ve experience thus far on the sea. Thank you again for the trip down memory lane!!

• 4 weeks later...

Carnival Festivale mid May 1995 out of San Juan--seven days. My friend and I were seated at dinner with 12 other thirty-something singles (about seven guys/seven girls). One goofy "older" guy tried his best to hit on each one of us girls with the same line every evening..."I have a nice bottle of wine if you would like to join me in my cabin after dinner"...ewwwwww, NO--ha!! :p

Our cabin was tiny with bunk beds and two VERY small closets. We took turns getting dressed while the other laid in bed or left the room. There was a black switch on the wall with three "channels" for music. I don't remember having a TV? There was a sink in the room and you could sit on the potty and shower at the same time. We were due to set sail at 6pm but were delayed until 9pm because the lady in the cabin next to us was so drunk and rowdy police had to come on board and physically remove her and her belongings from the ship. We watched all the "action" peering out our cabin door. Not complaining because we truly had a GREAT time! :)

first cruise and ship was the osterdam from san diego on a mexican riviera 7 day cruise. i was hooked because of the fabulous ss category cabin, the crew, the food, the tablemates at dinner and just being on the water.

and as they say, your first cruise is the best cruise and this was a perfect example of that.

cheers

Edited by NorthPhoenixGuy

Or, a while back when those predecessors with the same names were first christened, they should have named them Westdam and Zuidam.;) (Oosterdam has no predecessors)

I have heard that the current Oosterdam is the first to sail with that name, but I heard that there was an Oosterdyke in the HAL fleet many years ago. Although, she was a cargo only freighter.

copper 10-8 thank you for all your posts

this is a history lesson on shipping you should have a web site of your own devoted to this or how about a book?

my first cruise was the jubilee mexico 7 day out of san pedro I rember the northridge earthquake happend and many passengers had to go home early.

also at the capitans dinner the many drunken lady passengers were sitting on the capitans lap and having their photos taken. tims were different then.

copper 10-8 do you have a photo of my ss minnow ?

we had to leave her on that island and thats the last time I saw her.

I have a friend who's ship is named

"Minnow" and sails on charters in Canada. ??? Minnow. com to charter her.

Note: Gracie will be aboard, she is a beautiful white dog who is very relaxed at sea.

Going through old photo's from my mom's cruise on the Celebrity Zenith I found these:

SS Britanis at Grand Cayman?

SS_Britanis.jpg

Old Westerdam at Ft. Lauderdale?

6247231361_788bc0950c_b.jpg

Btw, my first cruise was on the Carnival Triumph, 5-Day Canada/New England in '09 and trust me I'm hooked :D

The picture looks like a ship.

Todays cruisers look like hotels, on the side, with an amusement park on top!:eek:

My first cruise was on the Carnivale also. I swore that I would never cruise again. Our cabin was tiny, just two sets of bunk beds, nearly everything in the cabin was broken or damaged. The paint on the shower floor came off on our feet. The only interesting thing that I remember about it is that it had an indoor pool.

I think I was on that ship!:D

I have gained a litttle weight and don't think I'd fit in the shower now!:eek:

This wonderful thread is almost as old as our first cruise!

Ours was to Alaska on the beautiful Volendam, 2007.

I love the ship pictures and finding out what happened to each ship.

Thanks, Copper!

Edited by HokiePoq

• 4 weeks later...
first cruise and ship was the osterdam from san diego on a mexican riviera 7 day cruise. i was hooked because of the fabulous ss category cabin, the crew, the food, the tablemates at dinner and just being on the water.

and as they say, your first cruise is the best cruise and this was a perfect example of that.

cheers

You were sure very, very lucky to get that free upgrade to SS. I know you don't get that kind of a deal from Princess so wonder why the loyalty to them.

Carnival Mardi Gras I believe it was 1982. I was expecting something like the Love Boat even though I was 12 years old. lol It was nice but not for kids. We sailed out of Miami to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, & Jamaica. The falls in Jamaica was the highlight of the trip.