RCL vs Princess

fmhealth

Looking into a cruise from LA to Mexico for the family (5 adults, two infants) in March. We've cruised with RCL 4x & we don't have a problem with them except for the significant cost compared to basically the same accomodations on Princess.

Mariner of the Seas vs Princess Sapphire

Any insights into the material differences (if any) between these two lines would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The lines are more alike than similar in my experience. We chose to sail Sapphire for New Years because the price was significantly less than Mariner. Food is comparable for the most part (Princess' pizza is far superior; Chops and Portofino are better than Sabatini and Sterling Steakhouse). Mariner's buffet is mediocre in offerings but well laid out. Sapphire's (same as Diamond Princess, which I have sailed) should have better food (it's been 2 years since I've been on a Princess ship, so we'll see) but the layout it horrible, very chaotic.

I do prefer the cabins on RCI - we usually book a JS vs. a minisuite on Princess. In general, the JS cabins are better laid out for us, although both are very nice. You do get two credits in the C&A program for sailing in a JS on RCI; Princess limits double credits to full suites or singles who paid the full supplement.

RCI ships are prettier, in terms of decor. Princess' are very subdued, a little bland for my taste.

I've always given RCI the nod for service - Princess employees are correct but often not friendly. The RCI bartenders are more generous with their pours.:)

If the ports are important to you, Mariner has the better schedule - Sapphire does the route in reverse, so time in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo is limited (especially Cabo - we depart at 2:00 to get back to L.A. in time). So on Sapphire your longest stay is in what is arguably the worst port, Mazatlan. We've been on that itinerary enough that we really don't care, but if it's the first time you're going, you may wish to maximize your time.

As far as ships go, I do prefer the Diamond Princess by a wide margin over Mariner. She holds "only" 2600 passengers while Mariner has 3300. Mariner is larger, of course, but I do find her to be crowded in many venues. Other than an inadequate theater on the Diamond, I didn't feel crowded at all. I'm hoping my experience on Sapphire will be the same.

Our last Cruise with Princess, was on their older Sun Princess and we haven't sailed her new ones yet, but want to. In regards to service between the two lines from our experience, both have offered us excellant service, food equal, the buffet area is much better laid on on RCL with the differant Stations. If Princess hasn't changed in that area, then as previously mentioned, chaotic. Don't turn quickly, people passing in both directions. Overall we prefer RCL but won't hesitate to sail Princess. Princess has beautiful Atriums, not like RCL, but lovely stairs within the Atrium.

In general I have found the passengers on RCCL to be more families while Princess is older. The Princess ship has a covered pool, the first and last day on the MExican Riviera itinerary can be cool. The MAriner will have one big main dining room while the Sapphire will have 5 smaller dining rooms. I think food and service is comparable.

Beth

I meant more alike than dissimilar, LOL!

In general I have found the passengers on RCCL to be more families while Princess is older. The Princess ship has a covered pool, the first and last day on the MExican Riviera itinerary can be cool. The MAriner will have one big main dining room while the Sapphire will have 5 smaller dining rooms. I think food and service is comparable.

Beth

Sapphire has 4 dining rooms for Anytime Dining, plus one dining room for traditional. Sometimes they will use one of the Anytime Dining rooms for traditional late seating, which I guess is more popular than Princess had anticipated.

I think the energy level is higher on RCI - more announcements, more silly games (not that silly is bad; I've been known to participate;)) and more "get out there and play!" Princess is a little more subdued, but there's still plenty to do onboard unless you simply must climb the rock wall.

There's no ice skating rink on Princess. They have the same generic shows as RCI. I read a recent review where Piano Man was one of the shows on Princess; it was on Radiance in October, too.

DW and I used to be big Princess fans and switched to RCCL and were won over by their ships. The Grand Princess and her sisters are great but they just do not compare with RCCL's Voyager or Freedom class of ships.

So here's our comparison

Ships - RCCL ( love the Royal Prominade)

Food - Princess

Entertainment - RCCL (Princess was a bit toward folks 60+)

Sports - RCCL (hands down)

Staff - RCCL (They just are nicer and more open)

Service - RCCL (Everyone wanted to help you)

Cabins - Tossup (JS in either were great)

Hmmm... guess you can see why we are RCCL Platinum Cruisers!

Frankly you cannot go wrong with either line IMHO... For my choice, I would pick the ship and what you need/want first and let the chips fall as they may. Never been on a bad cruise on either line!

------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

We are Diamond on RCCL and Elite on Princess so you can tell we cruise both lines. We've sailed them both this year and they are, as someone already said, more the same than different. My take is a little different...I think the menu on Princess is better than on RCCL and I generally give Princess the edge on food. The Horizon Court on Princess offers a greater variety of food on a given cruise than that offered in the Windjammer on RCCL...RCCL has the same Danish every morning, no variety from day to day. Princess has some great theme lunches in the Horizon Court. Entertainment on our last RCCL cruise was better than on our last Princess cruise and the main theater on RCCL ships are the best we've found on any cruise line. As far as service goes I think they are about equal. RCCL usually has the waiters involved in singing a couple of nights which is a bit demeaning for the staff but fun for some cruisers...Princess does not do dinning room entertainment which is OK by us.

My wife and I sailed on both the Sapphire and Mariner this year. If fact, we just got off the Mariner yesterday. Both are great ships, and we enjoyed each cruise. But, the Mariner of the Seas has a 'Wow'! factor that the Sapphire Princess doesn't have. From the Royal Promenade to the Ice Show, we were very impressed with the Mariner. Also, the Cruise Director, Dan Whitney, did an excellent job, and was constantly seen around the ship.

As for what we liked on the Sapphire over the Mariner, we felt that the food in the Horizon Court buffet was superior to the Windjammer on the Mariner. Also, I think Princess does a better job with Anytime Dining than RCI does with My Time.

But, I would recommend either ship. They both provided an excellent cruise.

I'm an avid RCI fan (Diamond member) who recently decided to give Princess a try. My general background: single, male, 39, active, non-gambler, native Floridian. I've sailed older RCI ships to Voyager-class and my Princess cruise was to the Caribbean aboard the Crown Princess from Fort Lauderdale (11/09).

Perhaps easiest for me to make my comparison by category, then try to wrap-up...

EMBARKATION/DISEMBARKATION: Princess embarkation/disembarkation was very tedious, not as streamlined as RCI's processes. Recent Navigator cruise took no more than 15 minutes curb-to-ship to embark; Princess= 45+ minutes, much of it standing in line.

MUSTERING: Princess announcements were SO VERY long-winded & chaotic; RCI's are straight to the point and let you get about the business of enjoying your vacation. (Haven't sailed with RCI since the new non-life jacket mustering, but sounds great.)

GUEST "FLOW": Overall, RCI ships do carry more people, but they seem to do a MUCH better job at managing passenger flow as compared to Princess. RCI ships feel more spacious; Princess ships try to create more intimate areas throughout their public areas, but with so many people onboard they just seem over-crowded. Seating in the Windjammer on RCI on embarkation day can be bad, but Princess was HORRENDOUS. Princess has resorted to using cheap plastic/stackable-type patio furnitire (like the kind you might buy at Walgreens, in a pinch) along the pool area windows to add some seating for the casual dining (TACKY!!). Seating in Princess' casual dining area was CONSISTENTLY bad throughout the cruise.

FOOD: I prefer the casual dining venues (just a lot less hassle). Princess' casual food was not presented in a very appetizing fashion and often many of the lunch items seemed partially recycled from breakfast leftovers. Deep-fried boiled eggs, anyone? In the main dining rooms, Princess' food flavor was inconsistent; hits & misses; portions seemed rather small. RCI dining room food quality has dropped a bit in recent years, but generally acceptable to non-foodies. Windjammer quality has improved considerably, with many venturous options.

ENTERTAINMENT: Evening theatre shows were slightly more innovative & contemporary on RCI; Princess' shows seemed dated, with cheesey sets & lame story lines. Comedians on Princess were sooo low-brow (ie. tired old lost-luggage & f*rt jokes). RCI seems to provide a little better variety & caliber of entertainment. Also, Princess cruise staff did a bad job of allocating the right venue for the entertainment (I never had to stand to watch a comedian w/RCI). "Movies Under the Stars" was cool to watch the new Star Trek movie; weird to have it operating all day long (to each his/her own).

ONBOARD EMPLOYEES: Princess employees seemed very-much involved with each other at the expense of guests (ie. were more likely to be chatting amongst themselves then clearing/cleaning tables, providing utensils, etc). Didn't notice this as much with RCI.

CABINS: Showers in Princess standard cabin bathrooms are horrible and still include curtains (who does that anymore?!). Was very surprised to find the lay-out of the cabin to be so antiquated, given the Crown Princess was only 3 years old.

PUBLIC AREAS: Again, my personal preference is for a more spacious ship and attractive design; RCI excels at this. The Crown Princess often felt crowded and the interior design lacked imagination (ie. lots of beiges, faux painting, faux marble, tired pseudo-Mediterranean style throughout atrium).

ONBOARD ACTIVITIES: I traveled with an elderly aunt who was quite upset about the lack of daily activities during the day. She stated that had not been the case as recently as two years ago. She also noted a down-slide in food quality (she had been an avid Princess cruiser).

FELLOW GUESTS: I was quite surprised at how much older Princess seemed to skew as compared to RCI. My best guess is that the average RCI cruiser is in the 45-50 range; I'd say Princess is 60+. Nothing wrong with that, of course, just not what I had expected and does make the pace onboard quite a bit slower.

My personal opinion is that the Carnival Corporations is marketing their two largest lines as follows=

Carnival Cruises: mass-market cruises for younger people

Princess Cruises: mass-market cruises for older people

Glad I gave another line a shot & still had a relaxing time, but think I'll stick with RCI.

;)

Some of the Princess ships are very nice. The main difference is that Princess is strictly mass market...and RCI has the suites with Concierge which is a big step above anything that Princess offers. I am not a big fan of MUTS...they leave the big screen on all day long and blast the music up on the pool deck...not an enjoyable atmosphere while lounging at the pool. The food variety is a bit better on Princess but the quality of preparation is not. The layout of the Horizon Court is horrendous...one big traffic jam. The atmosphere on RCI is definitly better...the service at the suite level is superb...on Princess is nonexistant...just a bigger room. RCI offers different style ships for different passengers. The Radiance Class ships are upscale compared to anything that Princess has to offer. Princess is a great value for families and they treat their repeat customers with all sorts of great discounts on cabins...so the you will pay less $$ and have a great time on Princess...but...I have to give the edge to RCI...better service and atmosphere...IMO.

Archived