Recent Stone Island Horror stories scaring me!

freedomhoneymoon09

We have Randi's booked for mid January but after all of the recent stories of dead fish and filth I'm very worried. This was one of the excursions I was most excited about. Can anyone reassure me that it will be fine? I know I'm in for a rustic experience but I also don't want to be in unsafe conditions. Thanks......:confused::confused::confused:

Is it a full moon on this forum the last few weeks??? How the hell does rustic become unsafe??? Horror stories about Stone Island??? ROFL

IT is rustic yes, and if eating at a wooden table on a sandy beach is filthy, having vendors wanting to sell you things ( a simple No gracias works well), maybe not having the bathrooms with all the doors where they should,is going to be a problem then I suggest you stay on the ship.

That said, you are missing out on great food prepared simply and oh so good, wonderful service and all for very little pesos. We saw Randi with her group at the table over from us and she appeared to be taking very good care of her guests, everyone was laughing and having hfun.

We loved our day at Stone Island but we do travel quite abit so maybe our experiences are a little broader then most???

IT is rustic yes, and if eating at a wooden table on a sandy beach is filthy, having vendors wanting to sell you things ( a simple No gracias works well), maybe not having the bathrooms with all the doors where they should,is going to be a problem then I suggest you stay on the ship.

Just responding to the above post that I've copied: If this is not the experience you want don't stay on the ship. There are many more really good experiences in Mazatlan. Try googling Mazatlan Frank and check out his tours which are fantastic. A trip to the Sierra Madre's is fun. A walking tour of Old Mazatlan is very interesting. I've been to Mazatlan 7 times which included one trip to Stone Island. It wasn't my cup of tea but I understand why some like it. (BTW - the bathrooms are a bit more rustic than just not having the doors where they should be) Please don't stay on the ship if this is your first trip there. Many never discover the treasures of Mazatlan because of where the ship docks but it has many good things to offer.

I have recently commented on Stone Island on these boards, and commented that it was more "rustic" than these huge, exotic resorts in the Golden Zone. I hope my posts aren't what you would describe as "horror stories". We loved our day at Stone Island. No dead fish. No filth. Vendors not a problem. So our lunch was served on a plastic tablecloth, with plastic utensils. So what? We got serenaded by a little mariachi group while we ate. It was informal, they weren't all decked out in fancy outfits. They were just there with their songs and big smiles. It seemed natural. It was great.

Stone Island isn't a staged environment for the tourists. It is what it is. Take the horse ride or the wagon ride through the town. You will see poverty. You will see how the people who live on the island really are. We found it to be very interesting.

True, it's not a snorkelers paradise. I live in Maine. The water isn't good for snorkeling here, either. But, it's still ocean water, with waves, and it was nice and warm.

You won't be unsafe. Go with an open mind, ready to experience a new environment. I'm sure you'll have a good time.

I was there both before and after the hurricane, and didn't see any dead fish. I saw the post about the dead fish and horrible damage from the hurricane. NOT TRUE !!!

The place is not ultra modern, and if that is what you are looking for, don't go. It is a shining example of Old Mexico, and the place hasn't been ruined by developers. To me, it is a relaxing place to spend a day. Some people need the luxury resorts to have a good day. I don't !!!!

Yep, a stroll thru some of the stone island restaurants can be a little different, but you get used to it

IMG_8506.jpg

IMG_8503.jpg

Randy will take you to a nice place, like the Molakay below, and, as further reassurance to the culinary safety; the dining room staff of one cruise ship, once shared with us, that there is only one food product that any cruise ship trusts to take onboard directly from any Mexican Riviera port; thus all food, for an entire cruise, except one single food product, is loaded on board the ship, at departure, from the USA ports. That single Mexican food product is taken aboard in Mazatlan, and Mazatlan only. That single food product is... fresh Mazatlan Shrimp... mmm... fresh Mazatlan Shrimp. HAVE FUN!

IMG_8528-1.jpg

Is it a full moon on this forum the last few weeks??? How the hell does rustic become unsafe??? Horror stories about Stone Island??? ROFL

That said, you are missing out on great food prepared simply and oh so good, wonderful service and all for very little pesos. We saw Randi with her group at the table over from us and she appeared to be taking very good care of her guests, everyone was laughing and having hfun.

We loved our day at Stone Island but we do travel quite abit so maybe our experiences are a little broader then most???

I wish you would have read my post as it was intended...as a question. No reason to jump all over me. I know it is rustic and I want that experience. I was simply asking if the stories I have heard recently were true.....ie. thousands of dead fish, filth, and sickness from food. I enjoy the rustic experience I just don't want my kids to be exposed to anything dangerous. This is why I asked a QUESTION!!! I will not be staying on the ship, just wanted some info that's all.

THANKS

freedomhoneymoon09,

There have a number of threads in the last few weeks where the poster has gone out of their way to spread mass hysteria with wild claims of death and disease waiting for anybody that gets off the ship along the Mexican Riviera.

Your question, your concern, was lost in the title of this thread . . . Recent Stone Island Horror stories scaring me! You stated that “... all of the recent stories of dead fish and filth I'm very worried.” Today it was “I was simply asking if the stories I have heard recently were true.....ie. thousands of dead fish, filth, and sickness from food.”

I have scoured this site and the internet looking for any stories that could support claim of Stone Island horror stories, thousands of dead fish, filth and sickness from food. Other than a single entry in early November (immediately after a hurricane), I can’t find anything to validate what you have typed.

I fully support anybody that is concerned about their safety and the safety of their family. However, your post, while intended to be a question, actually comes across as wild hysteria from somebody looking to spread more of the same. I’m not jumping down your throat, I’m just trying to validate your concerns or show that you may be the victim of misinformation.

Can you point us at the horror stories and news reports that have caused you so much concern?

freedomhoneymoon09,

There have a number of threads in the last few weeks where the poster has gone out of their way to spread mass hysteria with wild claims of death and disease waiting for anybody that gets off the ship along the Mexican Riviera.

Your question, your concern, was lost in the title of this thread . . . Recent Stone Island Horror stories scaring me! You stated that “... all of the recent stories of dead fish and filth I'm very worried.” Today it was “I was simply asking if the stories I have heard recently were true.....ie. thousands of dead fish, filth, and sickness from food.”

I have scoured this site and the internet looking for any stories that could support claim of Stone Island horror stories, thousands of dead fish, filth and sickness from food. Other than a single entry in early November (immediately after a hurricane), I can’t find anything to validate what you have typed.

I fully support anybody that is concerned about their safety and the safety of their family. However, your post, while intended to be a question, actually comes across as wild hysteria from somebody looking to spread more of the same. I’m not jumping down your throat, I’m just trying to validate your concerns or show that you may be the victim of misinformation.

Can you point us at the horror stories and news reports that have caused you so much concern?

Well I'm very sorry if I have caused anymore hysteria. Maybe I was a little misleading. I guess my questions have been answered and Thank You.

I browse the board every once and awhile but not religiously so I'm not quite sure who posted the info I was so worried about. Anyway, I was just trying to ensure my family a safe and fun vacation. No harm intended.

I have been to Stone Island twice, and though we have always had a nice experience, I can totally understand why some people would find the area a bit "too rustic" or even dirty. I have no desire to return - once probably would have been enough for me. But then, I feel the same about Mazatlan in general - it's not my favorite port of call and when I go on my cruise in January, I will probably stay on the ship much of the time while we are there. I plan to exit the ship and do a little shopping at the flea market by the pier, then return.

Stone Island is is becoming more commercial as cruise tourists find out about it - when I went there the first time, it was to organize a volleyball tournament and it wasn't all that well known. I returned a few years later to find a lot more people (though far less than what you will see on the beaches in town) and more aggressive beach vendors - kind of a turn off. The cruise lines all have tours that goes there now, and then there is Randi's Happy Houses tour and a few others that you can book independent of the ship. The easiest and more popular option is to take the nearby water taxi over. I still feel if this is your first visit to Mazatlan, Stone Island is about as good a choice as you will get if you want to go to the beach. The beach is much more low key than those in town, so don't let the negative reports scare you away. Like most beaches in Mexico, the tides bring in a lot of junk - it's not the cleanest part of town, but it's not all that bad either.

Where you have resorts, the beaches in Mexico are raked and maintained; where there aren't any, you'll find beaches that aren't so clean. Suffice it to say, there are no resorts on Stone Island. Not sure where you have been to in Mexico, but you will find many great beaches similar to those on Stone Island. The drawback is the water isn't clear and the sand is darker than what you would see in the Caribbean, so it's not as attractive.

Hope this helps.

I wish you would have read my post as it was intended...as a question. No reason to jump all over me. I know it is rustic and I want that experience. I was simply asking if the stories I have heard recently were true.....ie. thousands of dead fish, filth, and sickness from food. I enjoy the rustic experience I just don't want my kids to be exposed to anything dangerous. This is why I asked a QUESTION!!! I will not be staying on the ship, just wanted some info that's all.

THANKS

You are so welcome...

>>>>

Recent Stone Island Horror stories scaring me!

We have Randi's booked for mid January but after all of the recent stories of dead fish and filth I'm very worried. This was one of the excursions I was most excited about. Can anyone reassure me that it will be fine? I know I'm in for a rustic experience but I also don't want to be in unsafe conditions. Thanks......<<<<<<

Perhaps your post did not mean to come across as wild hysteria but it did to me....I didn't jump all over you, I answered in the same fashion as I did when you posted the Disneyland question in Family question (and you are welcome for all the info I gave you there too )

We were on stone island a week ago. Not too many people from the ships. It was very nice and relaxing. Just a few vendors and when you say no they go away. We cut thru a resturant and the area was raked getting ready to open. I don't remember the name of the place we spent half of the day at but it was the second north of Victors. The food and service was great. Restrooms and beach clean.

I like it better with less crowds.

freedomhoneymoon09,

It was my plan to go to Stone Island and then I read this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1102749 Sure they aren't horror stories. There are just some people we were impressed with the beach and won't go back. This may have been the thread that caused the OP to post this topic. I know it made me re think my plans. I can only go to on place and I don't want to be disappointed in my choice.:confused: So I sent a e-mail for information on El Cid Moro about the day pass. They got right back to me. So now I just need to figure out what to do. BTW I didn't get the mass hysteria vibe off the orignial post. She made the headline catchy to draw attention and have her questions answered nothing wrong with that.:)

It was my plan to go to Stone Island and then I read this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1102749 Sure they aren't horror stories. There are just some people we were impressed with the beach and won't go back. This may have been the thread that caused the OP to post this topic. I know it made me re think my plans. I can only go to on place and I don't want to be disappointed in my choice.:confused: So I sent a e-mail for information on El Cid Moro about the day pass. They got right back to me. So now I just need to figure out what to do. BTW I didn't get the mass hysteria vibe off the orignial post. She made the headline catchy to draw attention and have her questions answered nothing wrong with that.:)

I read your linked thread. Didn't see anything about dead fish or people getting sick on the food. What I did read about were people that thought they were going to a resort beach with groomed sand and Caribbean quality waters. Most under developed Mexican beaches will have good food, good bar service, clean bathrooms, shade and little else except peace `n quiet. Beach vendors can be a bother. Don't show any interest in them or their goods and they will leave you alone.

A person's disappointment is tied directly to their expectations. If you expect to find pristine white sand beaches and crystal clear waters, commonplace across the Caribbean, then you will be bitterly disappointed on this cruise. This is the Pacific ocean you're dealing with and it is cooler & murkier along the western Mexican coast than the waters around Hawaii or across the Caribbean. Cabo will likely be your best choice for a non-tour "beach day" if getting in the ocean is what you want to do.

Enjoy your cruise!

Had been staying away from this thread but felt the need to comment now. We did Randi's back in August and while there was some trash along the beach during our ride, this was one of our best days on the cruise.

It amazes me that people want to go to Mexico, but when they get there all they want is the luxuries that they have at home. We travel to see different parts of the world, to see how others live and experience new things. I hope with all my heart that Stone Island stays the way it is. There are few spots in this world today that have not been taken over with development.

To the OP, go to Stone Island and enjoy your ride with Randi. Just remember you are in Mexico and it will be rustic. Great way to remind everyone how lucky they are to live the way they do.

Had been staying away from this thread but felt the need to comment now. We did Randi's back in August and while there was some trash along the beach during our ride, this was one of our best days on the cruise.

It amazes me that people want to go to Mexico, but when they get there all they want is the luxuries that they have at home. We travel to see different parts of the world, to see how others live and experience new things. I hope with all my heart that Stone Island stays the way it is. There are few spots in this world today that have not been taken over with development.

To the OP, go to Stone Island and enjoy your ride with Randi. Just remember you are in Mexico and it will be rustic. Great way to remind everyone how lucky they are to live the way they do.

Thank you! This is the type of response I was hoping to get. I didn't mean to scare anyone, I just wanted some validation from a reliable source. Just like the OP stated, I used a catchy Title to get some answers....in no way was I trying to cause trouble. Thank you for all of the info everyone has contributed. I truly appreciate and I can't wait to meet up with Randi!

Thank you! My thoughts exactly!

My daughter and I rode with Randi in Oct. and had an absolutely wonderful time...just make sure you put some sunscreen on before you get on your horse. I rode Rubia, and she was an excellent horse...did exactly what I told her and it's been many, many years since I have been on a horse. Prepare to have every muscle in your body hurt the next day...LOL!!!

Stone Island (with Randi) is now the only place we go when in Mazatlan. Our first trip there we did the ship's tour and saw some beautiful and unique places (and all the Diamond Internationals). Now we go to that beautiful beach and sit at Victor's and have the most amazing shrimp and wonderful conversation. Very relaxing. If the vendors get to be too much just tell Randi and they are gone. You will love this tour - don't be scared.

It amazes me that people want to go to Mexico, but when they get there all they want is the luxuries that they have at home.

This is not exactly true; there are many very nice, upscale, resort areas in Mexico, but Stone Island isn't one of them. I am not saying this to knock Stone Island. My first travel experience to Mexico was to a very nice dive resort in Cozumel, so I can understand why some visitors might feel its not the place for them.

I have friends who reside in Southern California and visit less deveoped areas of Mexico that are not the most tourist friendly or clean, so to them, Stone Island is a step up from what they are used to seeing in Mexico.

I think the worse part when it comes to stone island is just getting there..:eek:

After the bumpy dirt road you are in a little marina where all the shrimp boats are mored. "smelly" "smelly"

Then you take the little panga over to the island. Just the getting there made us a bit nervous, but once we were there, it was fine.:) It is a true Mexican experience. ;)

I would use the word "Primitive" over rustic...rustic sounds like a cabin in the woods. Primitive is an island that is pretty much the same as it was years ago!!;)

I think the worse part when it comes to stone island is just getting there..:eek:

After the bumpy dirt road you are in a little marina where all the shrimp boats are mored. "smelly" "smelly"

Then you take the little panga over to the island. Just the getting there made us a bit nervous, but once we were there, it was fine.:) It is a true Mexican experience. ;)

I would use the word "Primitive" over rustic...rustic sounds like a cabin in the woods. Primitive is an island that is pretty much the same as it was years ago!!;)

It sounds like you used the other taxi dock. The one Randi uses doesn't go down a dirt road and there are no other boats there. This is the one to the right as you come out of the cruise ship area. The one to the left is down a dirt road and just across from the sewage treatment plant. I've gone past it several times on my way to the light house.

Enjoy

Ron

I read your linked thread. Didn't see anything about dead fish or people getting sick on the food. What I did read about were people that thought they were going to a resort beach with groomed sand and Caribbean quality waters. Most under developed Mexican beaches will have good food, good bar service, clean bathrooms, shade and little else except peace `n quiet. Beach vendors can be a bother. Don't show any interest in them or their goods and they will leave you alone.

A person's disappointment is tied directly to their expectations. If you expect to find pristine white sand beaches and crystal clear waters, commonplace across the Caribbean, then you will be bitterly disappointed on this cruise. This is the Pacific ocean you're dealing with and it is cooler & murkier along the western Mexican coast than the waters around Hawaii or across the Caribbean. Cabo will likely be your best choice for a non-tour "beach day" if getting in the ocean is what you want to do.

Enjoy your cruise!

Don't forget the Sea of Cortez.:) In Cabo San Lucas you have the Pacific Ocean side and the Sea of Cortez side. The Sea of Cortez is much safer to swim in.

seaofcortez1000.jpg

Rustic ride with Randi ... When I went to pick up our horse there was a colt born that morning just 3 hours old standing up in the court yard having a cleansing bath ... very natural

It also impresses me that Randi seems to remember everybody.

She works hard for the money ... kudos to her

For many who go there, Stone Island is the highlight of their visit to Mazatlan, if not the cruise! Our arrangements were made through the Government Tourist Office in Mexico City to host our beach volleyball tournament there - we flew out a year before our volleyball cruise to check the place out, and settled on Lety's Restaurant who took very good care of us as opposed to hosting a volleyball tournament in town.

Though Victor's is probably better known thanks to Randi, all the restaurants along that strip of beach pretty much serve the same thing - I know there is another restaurant that works exclusively with the cruise line - but all the rest have lounge chairs and umbrellas. and good food.

Stone Island is a peninsula, not really an island. And it's not all that isolated; though the locals would like you to believe that they are. They have electricity and plumbing - and those places on the beach that do not have it choose not to pay the price to upgrade their business. But you can bet they all have satellite TV's in their homes a little further up the road. About the only thing they do not have is dependable internet service there.

I really enjoyed working with Lety and her adult kids who made sure that all our needs were met the day we held our tournament there. Since that's my favorite place along the beach, I recommend you go there.

Archived