Taking alcohol aboard on Summit

patience32

In the past we have always sneaked a bottle of something in our luggage :eek:

After reading the latest review about cases being kept back becuase they were scanned and found to have liquer in them ! I'm wondering if it's still possible and how many people still get away with this practice ?

Is anyone going to admit to getting away with it ? :)

In the past we have always sneaked a bottle of something in our luggage :eek:

After reading the latest review about cases being kept back becuase they were scanned and found to have liquer in them ! I'm wondering if it's still possible and how many people still get away with this practice ?

Is anyone going to admit to getting away with it ? :)

Obviously, you've never heard of rumrunner flasks? :)

Perhaps this link will explain their current policy.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000tm3c5SQXCdRX-Wkf-6crpcT:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Food+and+Beverage&faqId=505&pagename=faq_answers

Whether or not you can get away with more will be interesting to hear. This is something I prefer about Princess. We normally arrive with a couple bottles of wine, and pick up a few more in port without any problem.

I hate to disagree but I got busted with my rum runner flasks last week boarding the Summit. Previously, they have always sailed through in checked luggage, but this time, they "found liquids" and I was called to the naughty room. Since I opened the suitcase myself and shuffeled things around denying I had any alchol, I got away with it, but there were several others also caught on the Summit. Be forewarned, I am thinking with the new alcohol packages they are getting stricter about smuggling.

wow things must of changed, when we went threw the cruise terminal before climbing the steps onto the ship we bought pop and One bottle of rye and we were told it was ok to take on the ship and we never had any trouble at all. It was a small bottle but never got stopped

pom

We sailed out of San Juan on the Galaxy MANY years ago and everyone on this board and elsewhere said then that the alcohol policy was very loose in San Juan... and it was... we brought the "allowed 2 bottles of wine per person" but then also some vodka. It was far easier to do so compared to our sailings out of FLA. However, as indicated on this thread and elsewhere on these boards, it does seem that the policy is more stictly enforced out of SJU now. We get that this is a huge profit margin for the line and we also get that after working hard and saving hard for a cruise the LAST thing we want is to have to go to the "naughty room" b/c of smuggled booze... hey, the drinking thing just ain't that big a deal to us... we'll pay on board!!

Thanks for alerting us to the new policy. We're sorry you had to go to the "uh-oh" room, but glad to know of your experience! Regardless, we still look forward with GREAT anticipation to our sailing in just a couple of months!

This is a change. On our last three Galaxy cruises we have purchased out liquor right there at the store before boarding. Actually last year we came off Galaxy and made the purchase then re-boarded! No problem.

Actually this year we ordered a liquor set up for our room and will only be buying the ginger ale before boarding.

I didn't have a problem in SJU before on the Princess last year. I will also point out that a friend of mine somehow managed to get on several bottles that she bought at duty free with no problem, but had her bag with wine in it kept in the naughty room. I am thinking it might be new crew members trying to be overly vigilant. We are not big drinkers, we just wanted something for our cabin, before dinner drinks, since we travelled as a group of 11.

I also was able to bring back bottles of rum I bought in several ports right in my carry on's with no problem at all.

The thing that surprised me was that they caught the rum runners which I thought was supposed to be undetectable.

Are you sure there was not some other sort of container in your bag which in an xray may look like some kind of liquid container? I believe the rum runners get through not because they are undetectable, but because they don't appear to be liquid containers at all. The only time I've been caught, was when it was obvious under xray that there were large bottles in my luggage, something the rum runners eliminate.

gotcha3, the only other containers in my bag were tolietry items in a small black bag, bottles of shampoo and conditioner, mouth wash and contact rinse. I suppose the xray could have picked up on these, but as I said others on the ship had their luggage held as well. So no, I didn't have any large bottles of any kind of liquid in the bag. The rum runners were in a plastic bag and then wrapped in a beach towel.

I have never brought anything on, but I might this time. If we are flying in to Miami from STL, should we put it in our checked luggage? I'm sure TSA will be more strict than normal inlight of that guy that tried to blow up the plane & I don't want them to grab my stuff at the airport security. Would you recomend bubble wrap? I would hate for any bottles/cans to pop in my suitcase.

Does anyone know- is there any place close to the port- walking distance- where I can purchase wine, soda etc right before boarding that won't be over priced ? DH would rather not bring it on the airplane- too bad, we have some yummy peach wine. I don't want to be gross but sometimes the change of water gives me tummy issues & drinking soda can help. I would only drink it in my cabin I don't drink enough to make the soda card worthwhile.

the rum runner flask looks kind of like an IV bag- you pour your liquor 3/4 full into it and pack it in with your clothing- undetectable by xray! Works great!

I read about them before, but all I really want to take is one or both of the allowed wine & maybe some cans of soda- I don't really need to hide it, but DH wants to buy whatever we take AFTER we get to MIA. We are staying at the Wyndham Miami Airport the night before & would like to know if anyone knows if there is any kind if store either near the hotel or near the pier?

Has anyone tried the Rum Runner with wine? I have a fabulous Riesling that Royal Caribbean doesn't sell, so if it's skunky by the time I drink it, it kind of defeats the purpose.

http://www.bottlewise.net/index.php?p=product&id=42&parent=0

Is there any difference between the Rum Runner and the Platy Preserve? Would the Platy Preserve be undetectable as well?

And, for you who asked how the flasks were undistinguishable via X Ray, I found this:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/airport-security4.htm

HTH!

Here's what I've been thinking about bringing my own wine aboard my next cruise. I would decant it into rum runners. I would place each rum runner container into a separate shoe. Then, I would put a couple of those little airline size bottles of Gallo or some other cheap stuff, wrapped in bubble wrap, right on top in the suitcase. If the liquids are detected and I am summoned to the "naughty room," I would unlock the bag, unzip it, and turn over the "Gallo" and say, "Sorry!"

I'm thinking that the luggage inspection is handled by one group of employees and that the "naughty room" is run by a different group.

If I am mistaken, I would have to turn over everything, but the fifteen-year-old in me wants to try this.

Archived