Golden Princess or Saphire??

karessamom

We're thinking about an alaska cruise for our 25th?? Not even sure which line but seriously considering princess. We live in Utah and thinking of driving or flying to Seattle to catch the ship. (trip would be taken around the first part of August) The itineraries are slightly different in that one cruises tracy arm and the other Glacier bay. any suggestions?? never been to alaska before. Also are there plugs by the bed for CPAP?? my husband and I both are on CPAP. Also how do the room sizes compare to Carnival?? Never been on Princess before but have been on Carnival Conquest before. Thanks

Despite preferring the Sapphire Princess I would go with the best itinerary. If only the Golden is going to Glacier Bay then I would definitely take the Golden. I admit I have only gone on the pre-refit Golden. Whichever ship you choose they are both wonderful.

Despite preferring the Sapphire Princess I would go with the best itinerary. If only the Golden is going to Glacier Bay then I would definitely take the Golden. I admit I have only gone on the pre-refit Golden. Whichever ship you choose they are both wonderful.
I agree 100%. My preference is for the Sapphire Princess but you'll definitely want to go to Glacier Bay rather than Tracy Arm.

There is an outlet above the desk which depending on the bed configuration, may or may not be next to the bed. Plan on bringing an extension cord just to be safe.

Thanks for your replies--haven't cruised for a while, do they still do the formal nights on either the saphire or Golden (Alaska)? and how many?? also which dining rooms or thruought the ship?? I know there is something like anytime dining etc? or the traditional set time/place etc.

We were on the Golden in May '08 (pre-refit) and the Sapphire this September. There is no question in my mind that the Sapphire is a real upgrade over the Golden in terms of the size of public spaces and how people move about the ship. My choice would be the Sapphire.

I have sailed both ships multiple times and like them both. While there is a slight preference to the Sapphire, I would go with the Golden due to Glacier Bay.

In this case, you really should pick based on itinerary.

Thanks for your replies--haven't cruised for a while, do they still do the formal nights on either the saphire or Golden (Alaska)? and how many?? also which dining rooms or thruought the ship?? I know there is something like anytime dining etc? or the traditional set time/place etc.

While I prefer the Sapphire, I'd definately choose the Golden for Glacier Bay.

There will be 2 formal nights for a 7 day cruise. If you don't want to dress formal: the options are the pay restaurants (they are casual), Ultimate Balcony Dining (if you have a balcony) or the buffet. Keep in mind that there is a lot of latitude on what they allow for formal dining. A man should have no problem being admitted with a sport coat, and there is probably even more leeway for women. I suspect there is a good chance on being admitted even without a sport coat, but there is always a possibility (probably very small) that you would be turned away.

We're thinking about an alaska cruise for our 25th?? Not even sure which line but seriously considering princess. We live in Utah and thinking of driving or flying to Seattle to catch the ship. (trip would be taken around the first part of August) The itineraries are slightly different in that one cruises tracy arm and the other Glacier bay. any suggestions?? never been to alaska before. Also are there plugs by the bed for CPAP?? my husband and I both are on CPAP. Also how do the room sizes compare to Carnival?? Never been on Princess before but have been on Carnival Conquest before. Thanks

Just to answer your question in room size. I was on the Conquest 2 years ago and was recently on the Golden to Hawaii in October. The Princess balcony cabins are smaller than Carnival. Not sure which cabin type you are looking to book, but a regular balcony cabin on Princess does not have a sofa/sitting area like the balcony cabins do on Carnival. Just a bedroom area. The mini suite in Princess is the most comparable to a regular balcony cabin on Carnival. The mini suite is slightly larger and it has a tub/shower combo which I liked since it gives you more room than just the small shower stall! I am sure others can give you info on the inside or oceanview rooms, but thought I would pass that along. And like Pam said, there is only one outlet in the room which is near the dressing table, so an extension cord and power strip would be a good idea.

Never been on the Sapphire, but I spent 14 days on the Golden and enjoyed it.

Tracy

As has been said, you'll have two formal nights whether it's the Sapphire, Golden or another Princess ship. Technically, the dress for the evening is formal but there are some who choose not to dress up. The dining rooms (both Traditional and Anytime) are Formal; the (pay) restaurants are Smart Casual; the buffet is Casual.

The primary difference between Traditional and Anytime dining is either a set time (Traditional, either @6pm and @8pm) or walk up to the dining room and be seated (Anytime.) You may make a reservation for dining in Anytime but that's inconsistent, depending on the ship and Maitre D'. Some Maitre D's allow you to make a reservation for the same table in Anytime at the same time every night, others just for the night; some allow you to make a reservation for any time during the evening, others just before 6pm and after 8pm. The dress code and menus are the same for both Traditional and Anytime dining.

I would not miss Glacier Bay!

Just to answer your question in room size. I was on the Conquest 2 years ago and was recently on the Golden to Hawaii in October. The Princess balcony cabins are smaller than Carnival. Not sure which cabin type you are looking to book, but a regular balcony cabin on Princess does not have a sofa/sitting area like the balcony cabins do on Carnival. Just a bedroom area. The mini suite in Princess is the most comparable to a regular balcony cabin on Carnival. The mini suite is slightly larger and it has a tub/shower combo which I liked since it gives you more room than just the small shower stall! I am sure others can give you info on the inside or oceanview rooms, but thought I would pass that along. And like Pam said, there is only one outlet in the room which is near the dressing table, so an extension cord and power strip would be a good idea.

Never been on the Sapphire, but I spent 14 days on the Golden and enjoyed it.

Tracy

Whilst the balcony rooms seem smaller on Princess it is actually the layout of the cabin that makes Princess seem smaller. I hope in any new build they should address this as many people like the small sofa and the Princess balcony rooms seem cramped. I have only traveled in a mini on Sapphire Princess and Cat 11 on Spirit (mini on Carnival) which are similar in size (square footage) just different layout. I just got off two weeks on the Sapphire and it is a beautiful ship. I also thought Carnival Spirit was a beautiful ship. Go with the itinerary you like and if you can go for a mini-suite the extra room makes it very comfortable.

Anthony

Both my husband and myself also use CPAP's to sleep. We bring an extension cord to plug the machines into and then plug then into the outlet on the desk. In the morning we unplug it and push it under the bed so it is out of the way.

Darlene

Archived