Summit 12/11/2009 Photo Review

cyntil8ing

My husband is not a beach guy. He'd rather do just about anything than hang out on a beach. So, today was my last chance to get any beach time. At the port, we jumped in one of the shuttles and told them we wanted to go to Accra Beach. Everyone else was dropped off downtown, so we had the van to ourselves for the 10 minute ride to Accra. We arranged with the driver to come back in a couple of hours to pick us up. Not only did he arrive exactly when we asked, but he parked, came out onto the beach looking for us and then went and got the van instead of making us walk. He then dropped us off downtown so we could wander around a bit. We then walked back to the ship. It was a long walk!

DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0101.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

Lots of flying fish

DSC_0226.JPG

And where there's fish, there's albatross

DSC_0244.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

One thing I loved about the Summit was that it never felt crowded.

DSC_0254.JPG

DSC_0261.JPG

Even in the middle of a sea day, there were chairs available and plenty of room in the pool

DSC_0265.JPG

Thank you for sharing all your wonderful pictures. The Summit was our first Celebrity ship, and she has a special place in my heart. Looks like your weather was spectacular... and your shots gorgeous.

Next time you are in Barbados, try a catamaran sail... Silver Moon does an outstanding job, makes for a wonderful day. We have picked itineraries that include Barbados over others so we could sail on her! I know there are other companies that do the sails there, but we have not tried any other ones. Silver Moon is fabulous.

Thanks again for sharing!

We really enjoyed this cruise. My husband and I have come to the conclusion that we cruise for the ports, not for the line or for the ship. I guess it's like airlines. Some have a favorite that they will always fly, while others pick whichever one gets them where they want to go for a price they can afford.

We liked Celebrity, but I don't rate it any higher than our other experiences with Carnival or Royal Caribbean. In fact, I have to say that I prefer the beds and bedding on Carnival as well as the night life. On the Summit, there wasn't much going on after late seating. The party band played in the night club until 1:00, but it was the same sets night after night all week long. The DJ who started after the band was absolutely terrible, and he only played for an hour anyway. What little crowd there was left with the band. It was no wonder with the DJ singing off-key and climbing around on the furniture. :eek: The food was comparable, though Carnival's lunch buffet wins hands down for us) and there were no differences in service.

What made this cruise my favorite so far was the folks on the roll call. [Hi guys!] It was so nice seeing friendly faces everywhere and always having someone to talk to, but not being obligated to be social when I didn't want to. I'm a *major* introvert and cherish my alone time! This was the first Cruise Critic roll call that I participated in and I will definitely continue to do so.

Now, it's time to start thinking about planning our summer cruise with our children. I can't wait to have a ticker again!

Can you tell me what camera you use? ( make and model # )?.... I need a new camera and I'd love to get the same exact one!

Thanks! My husband is the photographer in the family and took most of them with his Nikon D80. He's good, isn't he?

For snapshots and underwater shots, I have a Canon PowerShot D10 that I got specifically for this cruise. I really like it and was pleased with its performance.

Everything posted is straight out of the camera. I was in such a hurry to get them posted that I didn't even do any cropping!

Guest maddycat

The pictures are great. Thanks so much for posting them. We're sailing on the Summit in April and really appreciate getting a glimpse of the ship.

WOW:D.......your pictures are absolutely fabulous:D

Glad you had a good time:)I leave in 3 weeks and can't wait:D

Thanks for sharing all those photos with us!:)

Cindy, thanks again for the beautiful pictures. Now can you share what kind of lens Bob got for his birthday? I love those night shots. No way would my olympus camera take a night shot like that. It does a decent job for close up pictures and outside, but no distance. I will have to invest in one of these good cameras before the next cruise.

I agree our roll call was the Best!! We have a lot of fun sharing information and getting to know each other. I can't wait to cruise again next year, probably in December again.

can you send me your email address so I can send the link to our photos?

Thanks!

hiya cindy and bob!!!

awesome pictures!!!!

It was a great pleasure meeting you guys :) Im sure our paths will cross again..afterall bob is my "stalker" hahahhaha

*sweet*

PS you have a beautiful family (i had to look at your kids at xmas)

Truly fabulous pictures! Awesome composition. I'm sailing on the Summit January 9 & 16. I just got a new camera (Sony HX1) but don't think my pictures will be anywhere near as good. Thanks for sharing. Nancy

P.S. I'd like to hire Bob to be my photographer.

Cindy,

Thank you so much for your wonderful photos (thank your DH!) and for the wonderful descriptions of the ports on this itinerary. I am having serious cruise withdrawal after our wonderful short cruise on Equinox last month and have been seriously eyeing the Summit S. Carib itinerary. I was concerned that the ship would be a dissapointment after the Equinox but I must say it looks very appealing in your pics.

Can you provide details on your cabin and the food.

Thanks for taking the time to post this review and photos.

Cindy,

Thank you for sharing your experience through your pictures. Sometimes it is hard to find a good representation of the ship and the ports, but you did a great job of that.

I'll be on the Summit in a couple of weeks, and I have to admit that- with all of the heightened air security- I had lost sight of what the trip was all about. Thanks to you, my mood has turned from dreading the trip to/from San Juan to excitement about cruising to such gorgeous places on such a beautiful ship. Actually, I think a big part of the excitement is knowing I'll be somewhere WARM for a week... and you captured the tropical climate very well in your pictures, too!

THANKS!

Tom :D:D:D:D

The lines to drop off luggage were fairly long, but we were checked in and on-board within an hour. We were given a glass of champagne and shown to our room, a CC balcony, 8076.

DSC_9334.JPG

DSC_9336.JPG

DSC_9338.JPG

DSC_9339.JPG

We got one of our bags right away. The other two bags were late arriving so my husband couldn't change for dinner. I suspected it was because there was wine in them, which was later pretty much confirmed by our roll call friends, who had the same thing happen. However, we didn't call looking for them, and they were finally outside of our door when we returned from our late seating dinner.

I see in your bathroom picture that there are a lot of bath products on the shelf. Is there also a dispenser for soap and shampoo on the wall in the shower? Was there enough shampoo, or do I need to bring my own? I love your pictures. What a great job.:)

Is there also a dispenser for soap and shampoo on the wall in the shower? Was there enough shampoo, or do I need to bring my own?

No, there was no dispenser in the shower, but there were shelves. There was bar soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion provided. Our room steward restocked them daily putting shampoo and conditioner in the shower with extras on the vanity shelf. However, one day he mixed up the lotion and the conditioner and we didn't notice until it was too late. We used lotion in our hair! Eww.

Archived