Trivia contests

mehitabel

What kind of trivia contests are on board, usually? I've done the kind in which everyone has a console and "buzzes in" their answers--is it similar? How many might they have during a 10-day cruise, and is there a specific time of day?

Thank you so much for your answers.

On RCCL they have different categories of trivia. Usually you can have a "team" of 4-6 players (depending on the number of prizes they have). They give you a sheet of paper and pencil. You put your "team name" on the paper. Someone from the cruise director's staff asks the questions (or plays the music, depending on type of trivia)...you write down the answer. After all the questions have been asked you swap answers with another team and check their answers.

There are usually at least 2-3 a day. Several ships also have "progressive" trivia where you accumulate scores for the entire cruise and the best overall score wins. Categories I have seen include general knowledge, "Tri-Bond" [they give you three words and you have to say what they have in common], "Name that tune" [name songs based on a brief snippet], and probably some others. We are trivia junkies and have a drawer full of key chains, ball caps, waterproof wallets, a t-shirt or two and other assorted stuff. Or as the trivia host on Monarch was fond of saying: "More crap to pack."

[by the way, thanks for the Pope answer -- I'll file that one away for reference]

We are trivia junkies and have a drawer full of key chains, ball caps, waterproof wallets, a t-shirt or two and other assorted stuff. Or as the trivia host on Monarch was fond of saying: "More crap to pack."

You guy's are trivia junkies.........Gee………..I would have never guessed that………:rolleyes::p

They still ask some real subjective questions, on the Oasis they asked what was the most popular Christmas show played every year.

1) Christmas Story (Red Rider BB Gun)

2) White Christmas

3) Miracle on 34th Street

4) It’s a Wonderful Life

My vote was #1 but since there is no real definitive answer here a riot broke out and they had to give all of us equal points for the question. Top prize was the Oasis lanyard, now we have about ½ a dozen of those :rolleyes:

Don’t you just love the CD staff that runs the trivia and they can’t pronounce the words, that's half the fun :D

Ron :)

Hi,

we are on the IOS 23rd Jan and i would be grateful if someone could give me all of the quiz answers!!!

Well, it was worth a try :)

Cheers

davy!!!

1313 Mockingbird Lane is the home of the Munsters not the Adams Family.

Ron:)

You guy's are trivia junkies.........Gee………..I would have never guessed that………:rolleyes::p

They still ask some real subjective questions, on the Oasis they asked what was the most popular Christmas show played every year.

1) Christmas Story (Red Rider BB Gun)

2) White Christmas

3) Miracle on 34th Street

4) It’s a Wonderful Life

My vote was #1 but since there is no real definitive answer here a riot broke out and they had to give all of us equal points for the question. Top prize was the Oasis lanyard, now we have about ½ a dozen of those :rolleyes:

Don’t you just love the CD staff that runs the trivia and they can’t pronounce the words, that's half the fun :D

Hi Ron, my vote would have been for #4, but I understand the difficulty. I am still proud of the certificate we got for winning progressive on the Indy TA.

Hope you have a great New Year. I would be interested in hearing you thoughts on Oasis sometime.

Dennis

Hi Ron, my vote would have been for #4, but I understand the difficulty. I am still proud of the certificate we got for winning progressive on the Indy TA.

Hope you have a great New Year. I would be interested in hearing you thoughts on Oasis sometime.

Dennis

Hi Dennis & Mary,

What they asked was what is the most played on TV and since TBS runs the Christmas Story marathon every year that was the answer as far as I was concerned. Funny thing was the CD staff never heard of any of them :D

The Oasis was fantastic check the link in my signature for my review.

Wishing you both a Happy New Year and I hope we all get to cruise together again soon.

It always bugs me when the staff member running trivia or name that tune has never heard of the subject matter.

We were on Jewel in Europe last may and the girl running name that tune was from Canada -- and was really young -- and had never heard of any of the shows. Which means when the sheet is wrong, and most of us pointed that out, she had to go by what was on the sheet.

We were on the Mariner a few weeks ago, and the guy doing the trivia was from the Mauritius Islands. He had such a strong accent that he had to repeat each question 5 or 6 times. There were a few that we still couldn't understand, even after that. Some people got mad and gave him a hard time. We just felt sorry for him. He was trying his best. I think they should have had another member of the cruise staff doing trivia.

We were on the Mariner a few weeks ago, and the guy doing the trivia was from the Mauritius Islands. He had such a strong accent that he had to repeat each question 5 or 6 times. There were a few that we still couldn't understand, even after that. Some people got mad and gave him a hard time. We just felt sorry for him. He was trying his best. I think they should have had another member of the cruise staff doing trivia.

I bet the Mauritians on board finally won a key ring. :D

I heard that they have not had much luck understanding accents in many of the American states. ;)

Happy New Year..

Big Kev..

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Dennis & Mary,

What they asked was what is the most played on TV and since TBS runs the Christmas Story marathon every year that was the answer as far as I was concerned. Funny thing was the CD staff never heard of any of them :D

The Oasis was fantastic check the link in my signature for my review.

Wishing you both a Happy New Year and I hope we all get to cruise together again soon.

We are thinking of doing a 7 night New England/Canada out of Boston on Jewel next fall.

If you are in a house where all the windows face south....What color is the Bear?

PS Big Kev I love the Austrailian accent the most..My favorite badn is Aussie perhaps you have heard of Air Supply.eh?cheers all

For those of you who LOVE trivia....check local bars in your area for an event named Quizzo. It's sometimes called Pub Trivia. I hosted this at a local english pub, and it made Tuesday night our busiest night of the week.

PS - The bear is White.

What is the most expensive spice in the world?

What is the only fruit that has its seeds on the exterior?

How many months have 28 days?

In what country did Bagpipes originate?

How many dimples are on a golf ball?

Name the movie: "I won't be ignored, Dan"

What is the most expensive spice in the world? Saffron botanical name crocus sativus

What is the only fruit that has its seeds on the exterior? Strawberry?, but biologically speaking, none

How many months have 28 days? lol, all of them!!:)

In what country did Bagpipes originate? Iran, they were taken to Scotland by the Romans

How many dimples are on a golf ball? 300 to 500, depends on the ball

Name the movie: "I won't be ignored, Dan" Fatal Attraction

I think thats them all

Archived