Dissatisfied Friends Returned from Millie

themirsk

Our friends, along with two other couples were on the January 9 Millie sailing. They were extremely unhappy with the dining room food. They were told by the new head chef, that Celebrity has changed purveyors. The desserts were inedible! This is the first time they lost weight on a cruise!!! These are seasoned travelers- 10 cruises a year!

Any comments??????

Thank you,

M&M's

Hi...sorry to hear they weren't happy.......

Inedible?.....Actually, I have never heard of desserts being inedible:eek: ....specifically?.....Were things not to their liking? or did something actually come out of the kitchen not being cooked? over cooked? undercooked?.......

10 cruises per year?....they are sailing every month? WOW!....wish I could do that!

Food I had with Celebrity just this October was the best of any cruise I've been on. As I've always said, and as is the FACT, dining room experiences can vary GREATLY from ship to ship, week to week, etc., all based on incoming product quality and such.

It really can be hit and miss sometimes..."inedible" might be taking it a bit far, but who knows.

"Purveyors" or caterers? I assume Apollo is still the caterer. I'm not sure I understand how the quality of prepared desserts can be affected by changing the suppliers of raw ingredients such as sugar and cream. Ten cruises a year--nearly once a month? I'm jealous.

Hey ya'll........

According to this couple, the waiter brought the head chef to their table. The head chef apologized to them and stated that Apollo was no longer servicing the ship. Now we know.... "each to his own"..... but the fact that the entire table, and other guests around them had similar complaints about the QUALITY of the food, is something to be conerned about!

We are elite members and have never had anything but rave reviews about the food. We have two 14 day cruises booked this year (one on the Millenium) and hope that Celebrity fixes this problem!

And, yes Lois....wouldn't we all like to be able to sail-away almost every month.....maybe in our next lives!!!! Meanwhile, let's just hope that Celebrity keeps their Celebrity status!!!!!

M&M's

Hi:).....fortunetly for me, every Celebrity cruise I have been on (4 thus far) have all had wonderful food...whoever the purveyor, caterer, or commissary is...

I was Constellation last month......and I had be reading about the goat cheese souffle for 2 years........it was as good as everyone had said......not just good....it was FANTASTIC:D

I am not very happy about above post since I will be sailing with friends I encouraged to try Millennium due to service and food. We are sailing Feb 13th. Not much time for them to have everything in order. Anyone else on recent sailings that can share their experience-hopefully, a good one. Please put my mind at ease.

Remember, there are those that just don't like what is perceived as "fancy" food. I wonder what lines the couple usually sails. I think Apolo is still the supplier but the onboard staff have been absorbed by Celebrity. I will get to check this out on Horizon in just 28 more days. There are 2 recent reviews of Century here on the boards that gave excellent marks to food.

You know this just cracks me up! We debate everything from water to booze to dessert here on the Celebrity Board-----HELLO!!!! Food is subjective---we all don't like the same things! DUH!!! Are we all blonde??? :confused:

Yes.......where are you VERY recent Millenium cruisers? Give us some imput.....put our minds to ease!

(And, FYI.............our friends have cruised Celebrity, HAL, Crystal, Silver Sea, Radisson.......travel extensively thru Europe.....!) Hope this was just a fluke!

Anyway.......the GOAT CHEESE SOUFLEE............they better not mess with that!

M&M's

(And, FYI.............our friends have cruised Celebrity, HAL, Crystal, Silver Sea, Radisson.......travel extensively thru Europe.....!) Hope this was just a fluke!

That's great, we're happy for them! Maybe this WAS just a fluke!

As far as the lines your friends normally travel on, other than Celebrity and HAL, the others are rated as mor luxury type lines, and should hae superior food. I don't think it would be fair if they were to say that it was lousy food just because it didn't compare to those lines.

I am a blonde recent Millennium cruiser (GASP!!). This was our first and last cruise....

They told us Celebrity would be the way to go. I am an accomplished cook and have worked in high volume bistros and restaurants from San Diego to Pensacola. I don't need fancy food, a good bottle of olive oil and some artisan bread and olives will go a long way in our house but-

the best things to eat on this cruise were the soups and the sherbets. The apps in the main dining room have been plated up toooo early, the salads were limp, and the meat was nothing special.

I understand I am crossing into hallowed ground here, but the food in the Olympic is more hype than fab. I had the lamb, and it was ok, but my husband's lobster was so tough it was like chewing gum.

On these boards I read about the to die for chocolate souffle and couldn't wait to get it. Well, the cheese course came and there was a lot of noise and jostling about in the foyer.

A large group of Latinos were making a lot of noise, yelling at the employees, pointing at tables, just being rude....The entire place was sent scrambling to appease these folks and fifteen minutes later, our guy comes and asks us for our desssert. I tell him I would like the souffle, and he is nervous, and explains that it would take 20 minutes, that they were all rushing around trying to get the table ready for Senor Blah-de-blah and my order wasn't taken.

Hey, it happens and where am I going, anyways, right? I decide to wait the 20 minutes...we have some more wine. The time flies by and the souffle is presented with great flourish.

Burnt. Or so I thought. I put my spoon in the middle-it splashes up onto my face. ugh. That's OK, Senor Huff-n-Puff is making so much noise at this point that I would rather just go.

The berries at the buffet are frozen, not fresh. The waffles were being massed produced and kept warm in a steam table. Have you ever seen what steam does to a waffle?

So, it was stuff like that...nothing was terrible, but I have had much more remarkable dinners in Chicago or Charleston. Without all the drama of Senor Whats-his-deal....

Apollo is a major cruiseline caterer--it would be very big (and well-known) news if they were no longer servicing Celebrity ships. I believe that, at a minimum, the senior dining room staff (including chefs, cooks and maitre'ds) work for Apollo and not Celebrity. Where would this leave them?

All I can say is to each his own. I don't think anyone thinks Celebrity's food is completely upscale cuisine. They are, after all, serving meals to almost two thousand people every day. That is an impossibility. I've been on lots of cruises and for a large ship, Celebrity does a better job than the others. Are there some poor dishes? I'm sure that's true, but taken as a whole, they do a very good job. In order to have outstanding cuisine a smaller ship with a bigger budget would be necessary.

We were onboard 12/12-12/19. Fifth X cruise in a little over two years. Food was fine by us. I thought the salads were better than they had been on previous cruises -- crisp greens, nice presentation, no excess water, flavorful dressings -- all of our main courses were excellent as well, especially the Washington lamb shanks! Etc. etc. etc. Apparently the head chef changed a week or two before our cruise but we didn't detect anything awry. It's always YMMV as others have pointed out, of course. Didn't dine in the Olympic; the youngest member of our sailing party has 3 more years before he's eligible :) Did eat breakfasts and lunches at the buffet as usual, no complaints -- and my waffles were always straight off the Belgian waffler, not from the holding zone ... TR

I have had much more remarkable dinners in Chicago or Charleston. Without all the drama of Senor Whats-his-deal....

You may know something about cooking, though that is even doubtful from some of your comments, but you certainly know nothing about good manners, tolerance and typecasting. I find your comments highly offensive to Latinos who you villify in your post. Why do you need to describe people who are, according to you, making an attention grabbing scene, by their racial origin and even then in offensive terms? Only reason is to put them done compared to you.

The worst thing about these boards, amongs the gems of great information and wonderful people posting, is having to shift through offensive waffle by some people who should know better. Then, maybe you are trying to provoke - I suspect that. Well, you suceeded with me.

hi Michael:)......for the complaints....remember there are those of us who LOVE Celebrity's food:D after 4 cruises with them....I love the food...desserts and all!

Siz...I am sorry your experience was so bad...as you stated in your very first line

quote:

"This was our first and last cruise...."

Cruising is not for everyone........hope you find whatever vacation pleases you most.

Archived