Dissatisfied Friends Returned from Millie

themirsk

Hi Lois,

Hope you are doing well this Friday (still that here but only just).

The poster got me angry - I hate seeing whole classes of people villified by the ignorant. So angry, I checked other postings. Here is what the poster said on Jan 9th on another board.

The ship is beautiful, the servers were wonderful! The food is absolutely fabulous. Especially the soups and the beef dishes!

A couple of days later on this board the food has become a disaster. I now know where the poster is coming from. She (I think it is she) is trying to provoke and succeeded with me. I'll place no value on here comments and move on!

Like you Lois, I am perfectly happy with my Celebrity experience and look forward to repeating it.

SisZ,

I understand that there is usually a lot of hype of Celebrity food on this board, however you have to understand that unlike most normal restaurants, they serve 3 meals to thousands of passengers a day. Early plating? How fast do you think they can plate couple of thousand appetizers? Soups and sherbet were the best? Maybe they're not affected by the number of servings prepared as some of the other items on the menu. We should perhaps be a little more understanding if our high expectations are not met due to the realities of cruise ship kitchen limitations.

Maybe the regular Chef was on a holiday. I have always had great meals on Celebrity. A great Chef can make a chuck roast taste great. A bad chef can ruin a Filet Mignon. Sorry you had a bad experience. I wouldn't give up the "ship" just yet though.

I like to think that I am a good cook, but my best dish still isn't as good as the worst I had on Celebrity. I can't wait for the next on in April!!!

Jeff

Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Galaxy. I thought almost all the food was great--except for the desserts. On the Century a few weeks ago, the desserts were wonderful. We missed having souffles, but made up for it with it with creme brulee three times.

So, what have I learned by checking this site since booking the 1/16 Millie Eastern Carbibean CC Class? I've learned that old people are rude and hog the pool side lounges, that the pizza and burgers are like like rubber, that the lettuce is either crisp or limp, latinos are loud, nothing to do in Dominican Republic, and excursions aren't worth the money. As far as I can tell, no one's picked up one of those viruses or hit an iceburg. This should be a real adventure!

I find it interesting that anyone is taking second hand information so seriously.

I wholeheartedly agree. Let's back off on this one. DING! (dong?)...

o/~ I heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another ..... yadda yadda o/~

How good is the food? Who cares. Its good, period.

As long as its as good as a Big Mac, a Jack in the Box taco, a Round Table pizza, the deli Chinese food I get at the mall, A Carls Jr. burger, a Taco Bell burrito, and the food I eat at the fire station, I will be a happy camper... :cool: ... :D I don't even care if they hang me with a used rope!

On our very first cruise we had a table in back of us which one of the ladies sitting there complained EVERY night at dinner about something. The poor Maitre'D. My husband, son and I would look at each other in astonishment everytime she opened her mouth. We started calling her "Ms. Complaint". Anyway, the food on this cruise was some of the BEST food we had ever eaten. I have no idea how or why she could be complaining. While taking pictures in the dining room she inadvertently got in one of them, since they were right behind us. To this day we always laugh when we talk about her.

Moral of the story: Just becase one person complains vehemently about something doesn't mean there is any merit to it.

Anne Maria

The worst thing about these boards, amongs the gems of great information and wonderful people posting, is having to shift through offensive waffle by some people who should know better.

Hey you offensive oaf! Don't you start dissin' my waffles! They've been the highlight of many of my breakfasts on recent cruises!;)

The waffles were being massed produced and kept warm in a steam table. Have you ever seen what steam does to a waffle?

It sounds to me as though you picked up a waffle from the buffet line itself. Unlike you, I've done a number of X cruises, and I've never seen them there, and would never consider one from a steam table to begin with. You sure you were in a Celebrity breakfast buffet line and not in a Denny's somewhere? Hmmm...

The only waffles I've had come right off the little Belgian waffle maker at the aft starboard of the buffet area.

long blonde hair ;-) And so true that everyone's taste is different. But sometimes something wasn't made just right & they ordered it. Or they wanted chocolate & they only had honey vanilla. At our table, every night, the waiter turned it into a desert buffet with servings of all for us to taste & yes, the 4 of us finished every bit.......... If I really like it I ate it ALL!

You know this just cracks me up! We debate everything from water to booze to dessert here on the Celebrity Board-----HELLO!!!! Food is subjective---we all don't like the same things! DUH!!! Are we all blonde??? :confused:

First, one kind message to SisZ, I agree with you, Charleston has some great restaurants. I have been on 11 cruises, mostly on Celebrity and NCL, and also love to dine out at good restaurants. I do not go on cruises for the food. Even those who say Celebrity's is the best, there is no way to cook for 2000 like you cook for even 200. The person who made the comment about soups and sorbets is correct. I agree with the "to die for" comments, including the goat cheese tart. I love goat cheese, but I think many people get carried away with this one. I am from NY, so we get a little jaded. We are the home of Zagat's. My 19 year old son even goes by Zagat ratings when he chooses a restaurant.

Now for the other issue, your remarks. Maybe you haven't heard this weeks uproar over Prince Harry's outfit at a party the other night, but everyone needs to take a lesson in tolerance. Perhaps you also are living in a vaccuum about other racial slurs and anti-semetic comments that people make publicly that they live to regret. This is one thing that reading these boards over the years has taught me, that there is still alot of bigotry in this country. I even once e-mailed cruise critic in reference to them allowing remarks to appear. I was surprised to get no response, and would expect them to sensor the board for certain remarks that should not be made in public.

That said, if you come back before 2/19, please post your comments on the Millie.

As long as the meat is still tender and it comes hot then I am happy. :) I try and stick with the meat and fish dishes and usually skip dessert unless it is something I really like. Key Lime pie for example. I have never gained one pound on any of my 20 cruises. :)

Heck, they could just bring me 4 shrimp cocktails and that would be yummy. Oh and some bread sticks too.

They better not change the breadsticks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh now I am hungry! :(

Unfortunately when ever you feed people enmass someone will find fault with something.The people that complain on the cruise about food on a cruise complain about it elsewhere as well.

I myself wait to long and work to hard to go on my yearly vacation and so if I order something that is not to my liking I just leave it or if necessary order something else.I have never been refused a replacement.I pride myself in trying new and different foods.No one is expected to like everything.So just don't eat it and order something else!

First, one kind message to SisZ, I agree with you, Charleston has some great restaurants.

Oddly, my first and only encounter with Charleston cuisine was due to Celebrity. We'd not been to Charleston before, and decided to take an extra couple of days to see the town before taking a Galaxy cruise that started there.

While the entire Charleston port/embarkation thing was a disaster, and I'd never embark on another cruise there (not X's fault -- it was the City of Charleston's horrible planning and infrastructure at the "terminal" area), the preview of the town was fantastic.

Ever since, I've told anyone who cared that someday I'd like to eat my way from the Battery north to Calhoun just to see if I'd live through the experience. The mix of fun/elegant/local eateries we had to choose from made for a lot of tough decisions with only a couple of days to troll for food. As a destination in its own right, it's worth another trip, and I'm sure we'll do it one of these days.

I have only sailed on celebrity twice now (but I am only 23 - give me some time) and I was satisfied with the food on both cruises. My husband and I found the food on horizon to be slightly better, most likely since they were preparing meals for a smaller number of people than on the Constellation. The food in the specialty restaurant was well worth the surcharge when we went. While I found some of the items served, such as the salads, room service, and some of the buffet items) to be just average, for the most part the food onboard was quite satisfying.

I have had the pleasure of dining at some truly excellent five start restaurants (we really like to eat :P) and while the food on celebrity is not quite to that level, for the price we paid for our cruises the food suits me just fine. I am eagerly awaiting our next cruise in december onboard the constellation and I am sure that I will enjoy the food served. For approx. $130 per person per day for a CC cabin, how can you really complain about the meals made available to you?

Kate

A few years back, my wife and I were on a cruise to the British Isles, Amsterdam, and Paris. At one of our meals, a tablemate was so incensed at the poor quality of the food that she pitched a fit, was yelling at the waiter, and stomped out of the dining room in anger.

It was on a ship's excursion in Scotland, and we had been to Loch Ness and the Scottish Highlands and had stopped at a beautiful turn-of-the century (20th, not 21st... LOL) hotel and we were all served an absolutely mouth-watering lunch of pate with Scottish crackers, salmon fillets which had been caught that morning in the local river and were served in a cream sauce with creamed potatoes and dill, and a delicious dessert which involved clotted cream.

The woman who was so upset about the "inedible" food said that the "liver stuff" was disgusting, that the thought of eating fish made her want to puke, and that the green stuff on the potatoes was turning her stomach. She also complained that the cream had obviously gone "bad" because of its texture. She demanded a cheeseburger and, when the Scottish dining room personnel informed her that they didn't have the ingredients to make a cheeseburger, she demanded that they go out and buy the ingredients and make her a cheeseburger. When they informed her that by the time they could search the small Scottish town in a quest for the ingredients, our group would have already departed. She demanded to speak to the manager, and went into the same tirade with him. After he failed to acquiesce to her demands, she informed out table repeatedly that she hadn't even wanted to come on the cruise, but her children had paid for the trip and "forced" her to go, and she'd much rather be sitting on her front porch in Pennsylvania talking to her next-door-neighbor. I can understand now why her children coughed up the money to get rid of her for a couple of weeks.

That cruise was in 1996. Think what a stink she could stir up now, if she were computer-literate and posting on Cruise Critic. A scary thought.

And the moral of the story? Well, it's more an anecdote than a story, but it reinforces the adages that there are "different strokes for different folks", and "one woman's treasure is another man's trash", and vice versa.

Allen

Kate,

You are absolutely right. I feel the same way. I really think they do an outstanding job considering the demographics and the price of the cruise. I sometimes wonder what people expect. They must know nothing about running a business If they think it's possible to have 5 star food at all times on a ship with 2000 people aboard unless they were charging a lot more than they do.

Yep...we snagged an aft CC cabin on deck 8 for $900 per person for a 7 night southern carribean cruise. It is the week before christmas so I suppose the prices are lower then. Last time I checked the price had already gone up $400 per person.

Kate

Archived