Dissatisfied Friends Returned from Millie

themirsk

I read all this post from grumpy un-happy people, it is so nice to read the ones from you, Lois. I really believe that life is what you make of it. Somepeople go around complaining no matter what, and other like you, find the positive. I try to live my life like that, I'm glad there are still others that do too.

Suzanne

I had to add my 2 cents to the Chocolate vs grand marnier souffle debate. We had dinner 5 times in the specilaty restaurant on Infinity on our 15 day Hawaii cruise in 12/04. Usually the souffle offered is indeed chocolate. I had it one night and they offered it with whipped cream rather than grand marnier. Wonderful!

Anyway, according to the maitre d', Dominique, they were experimenting with different dishes with an eye toward redoing the menus in the specialty restaurants fleetwide (the goat cheese souffle will remain--I asked specifically). On a couple of nights they did serve grand marnier souffle rather than chocolate. It was served with a vanilla sauce as I recall. It was also very good. So that might explain why Lois and Andy experienced different souffles.

They also offered a few 'specials' in the speialty restaurant, something i had not seen them do before. So, maybe we will see revamped menus on our next cruise in September!

Linda

[quote name='L11']I had to add my 2 cents to the Chocolate vs grand marnier souffle debate. We had dinner 5 times in the specilaty restaurant on Infinity on our 15 day Hawaii cruise in 12/04. [/QUOTE]
Have heard rumors to the effect that on your 3rd visit to the specialty restaurant on a cruise, they try to provide some special level of service (not sure how much else they could do!) Did you find this to be the case?

Glad to hear they won't be going anywhere with my goat cheese souffle in the process of the menu changes! Might have caused a mutiny!

canderson, the rumor is absolutely correct. We had met the maitre d' Dominque on a prior cruise, so after the first night they made us 'special' items the rest of the time. We do not eat meat or shellfish, so they concocted some absolutely wonderful fish dishes for us to try. On one visit, they were 'playing' with marzipan and the chef, Milos, beought us a little kangaroo family that he had made. If it had not been for the fact that we really enjoyed our tablemates, I think we would have eaten there every night.

One thing Dominique did tell us is that, if you have any special requests or preferences, let him know a day or two ahead of time and he will be happy to accomodate if he can.For example, i saw on an earlier post that one person in the group could not eat rich food. Just let the maitre d' know and he can take care of that person.

Linda

The only food I couldn't actually eat recently because of the dryness and blah lack of quality recently on the Mercury was the Mexican food. It was really, really bad!

The ginger beef was overly cooked and totally dry, also, at the Asian themed buffet.

Otherwise, most of the food I had was absolutely great - and I give them extra points for some of their desserts!

All service onboard was impeccable.

There was one incident by a staff individual who hassled my mom and her friend for sitting in the disabled section in the theater not once, but three different times during the same show because this person apparently mistakenly thought they didn't qualify as disabled because they didn't have a wheelchair or a cane with them. This person was reported and marked down on the comment card at the end of the cruise.

Starwatcher
mostly satisfied with my cruise experience

Stupid question- what exactly IS a chocolate souffle? I don't think I've ever had any sort of souffle before. Is it like cake?

I think I'll pass on the cheese one- I am not a big fan of goat cheese, although it seems to get raves!

You can have two people at the same table have the same meal and come away with two completely different opinions.:rolleyes:

All I can say is that I have spent 15 nights on the Mercury and had 15 marvelous dinners. The food quality and presentation exceeded anything I had experienced on any other cruise. Every dinner was a very special event and the service was excellent from all of the dining room crew, I truly felt I was being treated royally.

Reggie:D

Hi Reggie..so good to see you again:D

Susie...it is served in a small deep dish......(small in diameter)the edges rise way above the rim.......it is light...the waiter will take a spoon and lightly tap the middle....and pour Grand Marnier into it...(like a small well).
I haven't had the Chocolate one.......maybe someone can give you a description of it.
I LOVE cheese......but it was the first time I had experienced that goat cheese souffle....you ought to just let your adventursome side come out....give it a shot....the texture and flavor are not to be believed:) ...and I bet if you don't enjoy it...someone at your table will offer to help;)

[url=http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/106173]Here's a recipe for chocolate souffle.[/url] I like them, but some other dessert souffles are better. My favorite that Princess serves is a hazelnut souffle.

Souffles have a reputation for being tricky to make, but they're really not that difficult. I made a spinach one Friday night. The secret is knowing how to beat eggwhites to the proper consistency and then folding them into the base mixture in stages.

...and the food was wonderful! This was my 10th cruise. I have salied on a few different cruise lines as well as Celebrity before and this was a great cruise expiereince. The food, service and ship were all great! If you are going on this ship then you will have a wonderful time!

We were on Celebrity first time 1/2-1/8--southern Carib from San Juan.
Food was terrific. Didn't think choices were as good as Princess, but quality definitely a step higher. Desserts very good; especially no sugar added for my husband. He was in heaven. Only complaint was too many kids--evidently Puerto Rico had a holiday and kids were off. They were underfoot all over.

Sorry to hear about Millenium. We will have to hear more before we book our next cruise.

[quote name='caca']...and the food was wonderful! This was my 10th cruise. I have salied on a few different cruise lines as well as Celebrity before and this was a great cruise expiereince. The food, service and ship were all great! If you are going on this ship then you will have a wonderful time![/QUOTE]

Would love to hear more about your cruise on the Millennium
Happy to hear that you had a great cruise.

Mari

Cooljude, I have to admit that there were a few (very few) things that Princess did better than X (though our Princess cruise was 3 years ago and things could have changed). First was the fact that they occasionally offered dessert souffles in the regular dining room (on X, only in the specialty restaurants). Also, there was fettucini alfredo available every night as an entree option. It was served in a parmesan 'bowl'. Probably some of the best I have had--always hot and properly cooked.

Other than that, to our taste Celebrity food is definitely a notch better than Princess, no matter where we have dined. Not to say that there have not been some 'off' nights or poorly prepared items. In that case, I either ask for my entree to be replaced or have an extra dessert to make up for it!

Linda

[quote name='L11']Cooljude, I have to admit that there were a few (very few) things that Princess did better than X (though our Princess cruise was 3 years ago and things could have changed). First was the fact that they occasionally offered dessert souffles in the regular dining room (on X, only in the specialty restaurants). Also, there was fettucini alfredo available every night as an entree option. It was served in a parmesan 'bowl'. Probably some of the best I have had--always hot and properly cooked.

Other than that, to our taste Celebrity food is definitely a notch better than Princess, no matter where we have dined. Not to say that there have not been some 'off' nights or poorly prepared items. In that case, I either ask for my entree to be replaced or have an extra dessert to make up for it!

Linda[/QUOTE]

Hell no we won't go!!!!!!!

Was on the Millie on Jan9th. We thought the food was terrific! I am always leary of ordering lobster-it melted in your mouth! As for desserts, not sure what deck everyone else was on, but we thought it was wonderful-three cheers for the creme brulee! There, everyone's mind should be at ease!

Ok folks. A lot of info on this thread and I have enjoyed it all (except of course for the name calling and ethnic slurs. As a teacher, my classroom is run by a significant rule--"Criticism of fellow students is not allowed." It works.).
Now, as for the food. I have been on a grand total of one cruise, recommended to me by my downstairs neighbors who are avid Celebrity cruisers.
All I can say is that, first, close your eyes and take a deep breath. It's dinner time (late seating for me) on the Century. We have been docked in San Juan since 4:30 PM. Half the dining room is empty. Andrew, our Maitre D', comes to our table of 6 to wish us good evening. We make a comment about the number of people eating dinner in San Juan and he says to us, "You are eating tonight in the best restaurant in San Juan." On our menus are choices upon more choices. We ask questions. We decide. Beautiful dining room, great wait staff. The drinks come and the wine flows. The food is very good (imho).Any more complaints?

As a teacher, my classroom is run by a significant rule--"Criticism of fellow students is not allowed." It works.).

Now if the ship's staff would figure out how to provide a "Time Out" for passengers that are rude and bullying, we'd have ourselves a deal. I'm sure you deal with your miscreants better than X does!

I was on that sailing and the food was fine. The servers bent over backwards to get us what we wanted if something wasn't right. I live in nyc and I'm use to eating out. Food wasn't 5 star but hey when you are serving that many people at one time I think it was top rate.

Sorry your friends didn't have the same experience.

I have no way of knowing how the food was on any other ship, but having just returned from the Summit, I cannot imagine anyone complaining about it. Needless to say, the Waterfalls Cafe buffet is not the same as the Cosmopolitan Dining room, but besides that everything was 4 Star. We even ate at the Normandy which was well worth the extra $30, albeit a long evening.

Archived