Baltimore in Feb to save money ?

Mr. Tricky

My family of 5 loves to cruise. We just returned from a 7 day Eastern Caribbean. Took the kids out of school for the cruise. It was difficult for them to catch up on homework. Next cruise I will most likely have to go during February break. The problem is the cost goes way up for that week. The cruise is not a lot more but the airfare to Florida is over 100% higher:eek:.

Looking at other options I found a cruise out of Baltimore. Its about a 6 hour drive and I would save about $2500. The thing that is not appealing is the thought of being on board for 2 days before it gets warm outside. Also the ittinerary sucks in my opinion. Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Freeport.

I desperately want to escape the cold. Is it worth it to save money and have a shorter break from the cold on a cruise from Baltimore?

TY,

Rick

Probably not... not for your desires.

It will be cool/cold for over half your cruise -- two days down, and two days back. For me, since I don't mind the cold, it would be fine, but, if your purpose is to get away from the cold weather, it would probably be a disappointment.

I took the Pride in June, and would happily board her again, but, then, I'm a person who just likes being on a ship. I also loved my trip to Alaska. :-)

An observation - I think to be guaranteed warm weather, you have to get out of the states. Chances are Florida and the Bahamas will be nice, but you do run the risk of cooler weather in all these places in December, January and February. Leaving from Florida would definitely give you more chances of good weather and leaving from San Juan will definitely give you good weather.

The ports are dismal, but the cruise itself still is a break from winter --if you sail Sunday afternoon, you will be in the Gulf Stream by late Monday.

The trade-off is hard - but as a father (now grandfather many times over) having, raisingand now knowing my children was well worth the spending restrictions involved.

IMHO....no, it is not worth it.

However, if you are simply going for a respite from the cold, it may work for you. Although we are only 15 minutes from the Norfolk port and 4 hours from Baltimore, we have yet to sail from either port because we feel it is a waste. There are nicer itineraries with better ships sailing from other places. We sail for the itineraries and spending 2 days sailing in rough seas on both ends of the cruise are not our idea of a fun cruise.

BTW, February is right at the beginning of Spring Break and may be the reason for the higher airfare.

Been thinking a lot Rick about the same thing. We're just north of you - so about an 8 hour drive. However, at the time of year you're looking at you really have to look at what driving wud be like - remember the storm couple weeks ago. Not normal, but happens.

2 years ago we flew out of ROC to FLL on Air Tran (great airline) for aprx $90pp each way. Way less than gas to BAL.

You just have to book as soon as they open up the reservations.

Think you would need at least a 10 day cruise in order to make up for the cold wx that u wud get first and last days at sea.

Look at flying Jet Blue as well - did that last year from SYR and I know they fly from ROC as well. $84pp each way for us from SYR.

Oh BTW, we go Thanksgiving week, so less time for the kids out school - but longer winter to look forward to when you get back.

Decisions, decisions....

Good luck.

Doug

Ty Doug,

I almost feel spoiled that the air is usually under 200 RT when we fly to Florida. I agree that I should be able to find cheaper when the fares are 1st posted. The numbers I came up with are for this Feb to use as an example, our cruise will be in Feb 2011 though.

I agree with everyone that the amount of time spent in warm weather might not be worth the savings. Also by departing from a warm port we will have more options.

BTW Doug are you guys getting pounded? We have 9 inches on the ground and its still snowing. I just got back from a 7 day Eastern Caribbean and Im freezing!! I could use a nice warm lido deck right about now:cool:

Rick

Ty Doug,

BTW Doug are you guys getting pounded? We have 9 inches on the ground and its still snowing. I just got back from a 7 day Eastern Caribbean and Im freezing!! I could use a nice warm lido deck right about now:cool:

Rick

That was actually something else I had though of - u guys are in a 'snow belt'. So, keep in mind to travel anytime in the winter (Feb) youse takes urs chances. Add a day at each end to be sure ur where u want to be when u want to be there. I've worked in "briefing" airline pilots on weather conditions all my life, so I'm quite familiar with your area. Personally, I won't plan to fly anywhere in the North East in the winter without giving myself a couple days either side.

So.. to your initial question.. No, we're not getting pounded. When you do - we don't, and vice versa.

Cheers

Doug

We live very near you so we understand the difference in airfares. We chose to cruise later in Feb this year just to avoid those Feb break fares:eek: We don't have children in school so it made no real difference to us except for having to wait a bit longer for our cruise. Cruising in Feb is all about getting out of the cold and snow and enjoying warmth and sunshine for as many days as possible so we only consider FLL or Miami as cruise ports for Jan/Feb/Mar. A cruise in winter out of Baltimore or NYC isn't a consideration for us.

Understand that you don't want to pull the kids out of school but you might want to consider pulling them a day early or going back a day later as that single day could make a difference in airfares. Even if you were only able to save on one direction it could make a big difference for you. Also, be sure you've checked ROC and BUF fares as we've found the past few yrs BUF to be less expensive more often. Booking those flights early certainly is no guarentee of major savings around Presidents week but watching Feb fares for the past few years from ROC or BUF to FLL with few exceptions Jet Blue's best fares have been when they first opened the bookings and seem to only go up most often. Southwest seem to flucuate more often for a few months after opening their fares and Airtran's seem to be best more often when they first open their fares. Also don't forget you can book one way as we often book one airline going down(almost always a non-stop) and another airline returning.

Stay warm and dry as its looking pretty cold and snowy for the rest of the week around here!:)

Archived