Train or Rental Car in Livorno?

maidut

I am debating whether or not to hire a car or to take the train while in Livorno. I am trying to have variety in our activites during our April 25-May 2 cruise:

Barcelona-on foot/bus

Monte Carlo- on foot/bus

Rome- train/foot

Naples-private driver

And the question is about Livorno. I know there are pros and cons to the options, but I am trying to determine what will give us the most freedom and time to see Pisa (very quickly), then as much time as we can in Florence.

My husband does like to explore and drive around, which is why I think he may like the rental car. I have one reserved with Salacar and with Avis (until I decide which is best i.e. no extra fees and will meet us at port). I know we may face parking challenges in Florence. I need to determine where the parking garages are, etc. And I know we may get stuck in traffic and face unusual driving conditions.

With the train, by the time you get a taxi to the station, return fare on the train and any taxis to and from the Pisa station, it can easily come to the $100 car rental fee (though with the car there may be parking fees and the expense for gas).

However, I am concerned that the trains may not run on time or that we will feel time constraints to catch the train, etc.

Any feedback, ideas, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Certainly a car gives you the most flexibilty you can have, and a car with a driver is the ultimate freedom - no worries about finding places, or parking.

If you drive on your own, which I find quite easy to do in Italy, be sure you understand about the ZTL zones in Florence and that you find parking outside of the restricted area.

OK, so i jest read about the ZTL- very crazy stuff! It kind of makes me not want to drive. I will post on my roll call to see if I can get a larger group or maybe a taxi driver with an NCC license that can offer a good flat rate. Or, We can always take the train...

Take the train! I have traveled that route many, many times; both by car and by train. You can get a taxi in Livorno to get to the train station. Go to Pisa and grab the city bus (right across the street) and see the tower (less than 1 hr round-trip). Take the train to Florence. Florence is a walking town in the historic district.

If you drive to Florence, parking is not only restricted to zones, but it is also very expensive. Park in the wrong area and you could end up with a hefty fine added to your rental car bill.

Having just spent 3 days in Florence, I would never drive in F (and we didn't). So you are going to have to park some ways outside of the historic area and either walk or bus into it which takes time. Train is so much more convenient and generally run efficiently and on time. F's station is convenient to the main sights but plot your course in order to see the most.

PS, if you are an admirer of Michelangelo's statutes, beside the Accademia, I recommend a visit to the Medici Chapel. It has some outstanding pieces that you can get up and close to. It is on the rear of San Lorenzo Church, 3 or 4 blocks from the Duomo, practically blocked by the vendors around the church. There is an entrance fee.

PS, if you are an admirer of Michelangelo's statutes, beside the Accademia, I recommend a visit to the Medici Chapel. It has some outstanding pieces that you can get up and close to. It is on the rear of San Lorenzo Church, 3 or 4 blocks from the Duomo, practically blocked by the vendors around the church. There is an entrance fee.

I love this place, it's one of the best examples of over-the-top, conspicuous consumption in death.

We have driven in this area on quite a few trips (both on land and sea). Although we love to drive in Italy (and Europe) for simply going to Pisa and Florence we would not recommend a car. The problem is not the driving (at least for us) but rather the parking. We have also had some problems with getting rental cars at the port of Livorno. The port authortiy does not always allow the rental car companies to operate near the ship (it seems to depend on the whim of the authorites) which can create problems getting a car. There are several rental car companies located in the main "shopping center" building near the port entrance, but getting from the ship to this location can also be a hassle. Hertz seems to have the best luck operating on the pier, but even they have had their bad days.

Hank

I visited Florence & Pisa last year in August using the train (Thanks to GSP's useful info) & taxi. It was very easy & the train was only 3 minutes late. It was the cheapest visit I have done to Florence & Pisa ( in terms of transportation). My 4 previous cruise visits to these cities were done by cruise excursions - very expensive.

Just make sure you have the train schedule & a map of each city.

I bought the train tickets (E$6.60 each way p/p) while I was in Venice (Ruby Princess sailed from there).

7:29 am got off Ruby Princess

7:32am got into a taxi with others to share the taxi ride E $20

to Livorno Centrale (E $3.40 p/p 6 passengers in taxi)

7:38am reached train station

7:46 am train 11716 left for Florence (train left a few minutes late)

9:26am train arrived in Florence

sightsee

(I have been to Florence 5 times so I have done most tourist

attractions already. 3 years ago, I visited Accademia (David)

& Uffizi museums in one port day)

1:37pm train 11739 left for Pisa

2:59pm train arrived in Pisa Centrale

3:05pm took taxi (E$8 for 4 people - E$2 p/p)

3:15pm arrived Field of Miracle (leaning tower)

4:15pm taxi back to Pisa Centrale train station (E$8 for 4 - E$2 p/p)

**Lots of fellow passengers were lining up for the local bus back to the

train station. They had been waiting for the local bus for 45 minutes. The bus stop is opposite the main entrance of the Field of Miracle.

4:31pm train 11723 left for Livorno C. Le

4:59pm took taxi back to Ruby Princess (E $20 for 8 people- E$2.50 p/p )

(again shared taxi ride with fellow Ruby passengers I met at

taxi stand)

5:15pm arrived at port to board Ruby

Have a great cruise !

If we opt for Pisa/Florence instead of Pisa/Wineries, I think we will take the train or try to get a group of about 8 on the roll call. With some of the quotes I've received, dividing it by 8 will be very comparable to all the taxis, trains, etc.

Archived