Anyone stock up on medications while in Mexican ports?

Do you purchase "Medications" in Mexican Ports of Call?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you purchase "Medications" in Mexican Ports of Call?

• Yes
    • No

In response to Rick's comment several posts up.

The pharmaceutical companies have been ripping people off for the the last 30 years that I've been in healthcare. (and probably way before that even) This is not new and I don't see it lining any president's pockets.

I am floored at what these companies can charge and get away with. This is why I'm always amazed when I see this stuff on the shelves in other countries drug stores. It's absolutely pathetic what we pay here.

If the major chains did not know they had gotten counterfeit drugs from the wholesalers (there was a special on dateline) than I don't think any of us would be able to spot it either. There's also the placebo effect anyway so you might not even know whether it's fake. Part of the dateline show revolved around someone going to China and seeing for themselves how the counterfeit trade works.

That does not mean that a pharmacy would deliberately sell a counterfeit product but once it leaves the US there is no pedigree required. I work for a pharma company and we must provide the wholesalers with a pedigree of the drug from the time it was manufactured until it was shipped so that they can then prove the drugs they are selling on are, indeed, legitimate.

Holy Cow! If I lived my life around every thing I heard and saw on TV b it the news or any othr program I'd lock my self in the house and never eat drink or take anything agian! but then wait is my house really safe there was that special that said...

c-dif didn't just happen because of "illegal" drugs - did it? I know 2 people that have gotten c-dif - after being on meds here in the u.s.....

no, c. diff didn't occur because of 'illegal' drugs. it happened because the person decided they knew when it is best for them to take antibiotics and this was not under the supervision of a doctor. There is a reason antibiotics require an RX here - if not, people would take them for everything! Hence therefore, causing problems. I.e. VRE and MRSA - drug resistant organisms that we can now barely kill.

c. diff does happen here when someone is prescribed antibiotics, but guess what: if you're under a docs supervision, you call him when you experience side effects and he brings you in for evaluation. he decides you have c. diff before it gets bad and treats it. And it takes more than one 7 day course for c. diff to get THAT bad. so, this girl must've been taking a lot. And, like the first poster, i'm a registered nurse.

yes, we do get charged a lot here for prescriptions. It's not because someone's out to get us, it's because we pay back the research costs. If nobody pays research back, then where do our new meds come from? should other countries pay these costs back too? I think they should. But, they don't.

Was this your first cruise to Mexico???

Those products have been available there for years!!:)

And if the censors of this program have to censure those names.....someone needs to "get a life". They have saved many a marriage.:)

Rick

Nah, Rick, I have been there 5 times. Due to the fact that I had to wait in line to pay for my purchases, I was just looking around and noticed those and some others that would need a perscription for here. I just happened to see them on the shelves and it made me chuckle - not that ED is something to laugh at. I guess it just reminded me that I wasn't home

Thanks Esmerelda, I was wondering what the cost on Retin-A is as I am in Mexico later this month. My derm sells me a itty bitty 3 oz tube for $35. Yikes!

some places have it for $10 a tube and like a big tube but if you hunt you can find it for as little ast $8

yes, we do get charged a lot here for prescriptions. It's not because someone's out to get us, it's because we pay back the research costs. If nobody pays research back, then where do our new meds come from? should other countries pay these costs back too? I think they should. But, they don't.

You've got that right! that's why we pay 300 for something you can buy in mexico or canada for 30!! Because we are just abou the ONLY developed nation paying for the research cost! The other developed nations, Canada, France, UK, etc all have price controls and they only allow the pharma companies to charge a certain percent over what it actually costs to produce the drug. They don't allow ANYTHING for research.

Basically the United States is subsidizing the rest of the world's healthcare. But if we didn't there wouldn't be nearly as many new medicines as we do.

You aren't, but plenty of people are due to antibiotic resistant diseases that are on the rise. Do a little research and you might think twice about thinking only of yourself.

I'm amazed how many people have no clue about antibiotics and what happens when diseases become resistant. Wow, really? It's just selfish behavior. Not to mention self-prescribing is very dangerous. Have you ever seen a serious allergic reaction to an antibiotic?

Goodness. There's one in every crowd. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought antibiotics to have on hand and have taken them without a problem. You'll see on the label that they are manufactured by the same companies we get them from.

My question is can I get Nexium there? My sister pays $500 (with insurance) for her prescription and asked me to see if I could get some for her in Cozumel when I'm there this coming week.

Thanks!

I've bought antibiotics to have on hand and have taken them without a problem. You'll see on the label that they are manufactured by the same companies we get them from.

My question is can I get Nexium there? My sister pays $500 (with insurance) for her prescription and asked me to see if I could get some for her in Cozumel when I'm there this coming week.

Thanks!

Suzie, Omeprazol is the generic for Nexium. In Mexico it goes by the name Alboz. a three month supply (20mg) costs about $7.00. We have been buying it in Mexico for two years now.

We live within 5 miles of the border during the winter months. There are approximately 150,000 senior citizens who reside here also. (Deep southeast Texas) Most go to Mexico and purchase prescription meds on a regular basis. We buy Amoxicilian, Zpak, and Omprazerole. We have been doing this for years without problem. I would not buy RX from street vendors, only pharmacias. Many seniors can no longer afford the cost of some prescriptions. Our doctors at home know we buy RX in Mexico and do not object.

I live near Karen & Paul and I echo what they said. I also buy my dog's heartworm and flea/tick meds in Mexico. Much cheaper. Our vet knows we go to Mexico for the drugs.

BTW, my dentist is also in Mexico. Great dental care, excellent prices and very, very clean. My insurance reimburses.

Thanks!

I think you are more than likely going to be able to get their generic than the brand name, but they might have it. It doesn't hurt to ask.

The only issue I've found is that Nexium is listed as Esomeprazole and Omeprazol is shown as the generic for Prilosec. I hope I'm able to find the Esomeprazole there as well.

Are you buying Heart Guard or the Iverhart Plus heartworm preventative in Mexico? Where would I find that there?

Many thanks for the helpful info.

Goodness. There's one in every crowd. :rolleyes:

What, some can't handle the truth? Have you ever seen a antibiotic resistant illness? Just ask any doctor or nurse who work in a hospital.

Justifying it by buying in Mexico and misusing medications doesn't make it right or safe or even the least bit intelligent.

I'm looking for Nexium.

Nexium use to be called Prilosec. I thought the name was changed when the patent ran out on the name Prilosec. Pryor to Nexium, Prilosec was a prescription. I know someone will correct me on this if I have it wrong.

What, some can't handle the truth? Have you ever seen a antibiotic resistant illness? Just ask any doctor or nurse who work in a hospital.

Justifying it by buying in Mexico and misusing medications doesn't make it right or safe or even the least bit intelligent.

We live in Deep South Texas close to the border along with 150,000 senior citizens. We are on fixed incomes so the majority of us go to Mexico to buy are prescriptions. Our physicians know we do this and we do not abuse any of our meds. Most of us cannot afford to pay $500 a month for meds. I doubt seriously that the sale of antibiotics in Mexico contributes to over abuse of such in the US.

We live in Deep South Texas close to the border along with 150,000 senior citizens. We are on fixed incomes so the majority of us go to Mexico to buy are prescriptions. Our physicians know we do this and we do not abuse any of our meds. Most of us cannot afford to pay $500 a month for meds. I doubt seriously that the sale of antibiotics in Mexico contributes to over abuse of such in the US.

You sound like an intelligent health matters consumer..Don't be intimidated by some over zealous know it alls on this board...Best of health and happy cruising !!!

I don't doubt your knowledge or ability, so please don't take this in that way, but I've dealt with enough doctors to be convinced that, in general, they don't know any more than I do about how to best treat my condition.

There have been times when I would have been better off going to a voodoo priestess who tosses chicken bones to diagnose patients, and eating whatever root or animal organ she suggested, than going to a respected local doctor.

Admittedly, as a Crohn's patient, I'm probably tougher to treat than many people, but if I found out that there was a drug in a Belize pharmacia that would help with my symptoms, I'd bring back a bucket full every time I visit and "misuse" the heck out of it.

Your concerns about antibiotic resistance are valid, but isn't everyone aware of that issue, even if some choose to ignore it?

Nexium use to be called Prilosec. I thought the name was changed when the patent ran out on the name Prilosec. Pryor to Nexium, Prilosec was a prescription. I know someone will correct me on this if I have it wrong.

Yes, now I recall my doctor explaining when Nexium came out, in layman's terms, that Nexium was basically a chemical mirror image of Prilosec.

My sister says that Prilosec didn't help her the same way that Nexium does. So, I need to try to find the Esomeprazole formulation for her.

Thanks for reminding me about the patent situation.

Vicodin is NOT oxycodone. Case in point why it is dangerous to self-medicate like this.

But Percocet IS. Both Vicodine and Percocet are narcotic pain relievers. After my knee arthoscopic surgery my Dr. prescribed Percocet. A week later when I was diagnosed with two blood clots (DVTs) I was told to stop taking the Percocet and start on the Vicadine.

Other threads are disparaging Mexican Dr.s and Pharmacists. Do these people know where many received their training. My older brother lives in Merida, Mexico. There is a teaching hospital there. Many of the teaching Dr.s graduated from US medical schools and there are American students who couldn't get into US medical schools training there. A friend of his needed a minor surgery that would have cost about $1500 total there but Medicare will not pay for surgeries outside the US. So he had to fly to the states, stay with family, get surgery done in country, and Medicare paid $12,000.

Archived