Anyone stock up on medications while in Mexican ports?

Do you purchase "Medications" in Mexican Ports of Call?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you purchase "Medications" in Mexican Ports of Call?

• Yes
    • No

Vicodin is NOT oxycodone. Case in point why it is dangerous to self-medicate like this.

Hydrocodone. Excuse me and we don't buy that anyhow. Was just using it as a reference that people might recognize.

She gets her inhalers and a few other meds that she has been cleared to take through diagnosis.

I don't even like to spend much time on vacation shopping for souvenirs much less something I can get at home. I would rather be at a beach or doing some other active excursion.

Some people are forced to take advantage since they don't have prescription coverages on their insurance and it takes minutes.

We live within 5 miles of the border during the winter months. There are approximately 150,000 senior citizens who reside here also. (Deep southeast Texas) Most go to Mexico and purchase prescription meds on a regular basis. We buy Amoxicilian, Zpak, and Omprazerole. We have been doing this for years without problem. I would not buy RX from street vendors, only pharmacias. Many seniors can no longer afford the cost of some prescriptions. Our doctors at home know we buy RX in Mexico and do not object.

My girlfriend lives close to the border as well and does the same thing. She also gets good dental care and repairs in Mexico at reasonable/affordable prices from real dentists for her and her children.

We have purchased meds in Mexico. When the doc gives a prescription for Amoxicillin, we have it on hand. We bought a bottle of 200 caps for $20, instead of paying our co-pay of $35 each time we need a prescription filled. We have also purchased meds for migraines. We buy at a pharmacia or drugstore, not a stall on the street. Check the label and make sure it has the orgiginal seal.

I don't see it mentioned yet in this thread, but there is another concern. If you happen to be subject to a Customs inspection and you are found with meds that are controlled in the U.S., and you are not prescribed them, you are committing a felony crime. I'm not passing judgment, just giving something to consider.

I don't see it mentioned yet in this thread, but there is another concern. If you happen to be subject to a Customs inspection and you are found with meds that are controlled in the U.S., and you are not prescribed them, you are committing a felony crime. I'm not passing judgment, just giving something to consider.

Thank you for "NOT"???... :rolleyes::D......Passing judgement...LOL..LOL.. and instead being the Post's Drug Police....No one responding to this post is uneducated in what is best for them and their situation.....

Thanks, Paul.:) I think this is very helpful information for those who might be considering buying a controlled substance in Mexico for the first time. There are specific laws that someone might want to research before moving forward.

BTW, I saw your post as nothing but the desire to possibly help a fellow CC member......:)

You aren't, but plenty of people are due to antibiotic resistant diseases that are on the rise. Do a little research and you might think twice about thinking only of yourself.

I'm amazed how many people have no clue about antibiotics and what happens when diseases become resistant. Wow, really? It's just selfish behavior. Not to mention self-prescribing is very dangerous. Have you ever seen a serious allergic reaction to an antibiotic?

OH please... stop lecturing. :eek: The OP mearly asked a question. WE have all heard and know the issues with antibiotic Resistance. My daughter got some serious cuts on her knees from coral while on a cruise and I did buy antibiotics that day to start her on. All we needed was for those cuts to become infected midway through our cruise..

Personally, Yes, I buy Valium in Mexico. :D

This is a cruise site, not a biology class, but as you asked "a girl" is another term used for a female. The word can also be used in phrases like "my girl" being and affectionate term that a male might use when referring to a female that could be either be his daughter or girlfriend. I think that most normal people would not find a need to question the use of such a term, but we can all learn something new each day.

Some might ask what is a Water Baby, as most babies are unable to use a computer to write such comments, or then again it could simply be a nick name or affectionalte term.

I love those post... thanks for the grins..:D

I bought some "herbal" medication from a guy outside a drug store in Cozumel.. after "taking" is, we sure were ready for some Nacho's and Margaritas from Senor Frogs! :D

I guess this answers the question about your views on smoking! :eek: :D

(That was a joke BTW, you probably figured that out but I wanted to make sure there was no confusion....:o)

Thanks, Paul.:) I think this is very helpful information for those who might be considering buying a controlled substance in Mexico for the first time. There are specific laws that someone might want to research before moving forward.

BTW, I saw your post as nothing but the desire to possibly help a fellow CC member......:)

Agree 100%

:cj

Has anyone tried to buy meds for animals/pets in Mexico? We have horses & I would love to find a place where I can get a reasonable deal on some of their meds that we use on a regular basis (Butazolidin/Bute and Amoxy being the biggies for us).

Anyone have any info on this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Thank you, TW. Every day I am amazed at what one can be flamed on. :rolleyes:

Yup, Amox for sinus infections and prednisone for my gout. Don't have to wait for a doctor to tell me what to do. I do watch carefully on the rare occasions that I need it and follow the same instructions that my doctor would tell me to. Easy and cheaper than in the states.

Yes....

Usually 2-4 tubes of Retin A, cost in Mexico; around $8 a tube

Here in the states; it requires an office visit and a script. The last script I got for it 2 years ago, my part after insurance $44! (plus the office visit charge)

Inhalers; same as above. After insurance; my cost usually $20+ plus the office visit. The cost in Mexico; $10 or less

It's amazing how much we are ripped off in the states for medications. We have done this for years for the record with no problems.

I will say I've never seen on the shelf narcotics. Many other things, but not narcotics and I know my drugs well. :D

<works in healthcare for over 25 years

I get my sumatryptan (sp) for migranes in Cozumel or via post from Asia - both work fine

Have heard of many people arrested in Miami and other ports when they try to bring back the controlled stuff (street vendors may not be)

I get my sumatryptan (sp) for migranes in Cozumel or via post from Asia - both work fine

Have heard of many people arrested in Miami and other ports when they try to bring back the controlled stuff (street vendors may not be)

Mail it back home to yourself.

:cool:

Thanks for mentioning that. My understanding is that buying any drugs outside the US and bringing them back, prescription from a local MD or no, is against the law. Customs usually (usually) turns a blind eye to small quantities, but I'm not willing to risk being the random one who is busted.

It irks me that US consumers have to absorb the R&D expenses of the major pharmaceutical companies. Both Mexico and Canada (and perhaps many other countries) won't allow then to recoup those expenses, which is a major reason why the cost is lower outside the US.

But we don't need healthcare reform, oh, nooooooooo:rolleyes:

Thanks for mentioning that. My understanding is that buying any drugs outside the US and bringing them back, prescription from a local MD or no, is against the law. Customs usually (usually) turns a blind eye to small quantities, but I'm not willing to risk being the random one who is busted.

It irks me that US consumers have to absorb the R&D expenses of the major pharmaceutical companies. Both Mexico and Canada (and perhaps many other countries) won't allow then to recoup those expenses, which is a major reason why the cost is lower outside the US.

But we don't need healthcare reform, oh, nooooooooo:rolleyes:

I'm with you but don't get me started. Thread will be deleted for sure. If people think I was uppity in the Iron thread....They ain't seen nothin.

lol

Archived